Brass Fetcher "Goes There....."
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Brass Fetcher "Goes There....."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default Brass Fetcher "Goes There....."

Brass Fetcher,a website devoted to scientific,repeatable and reputable ballistic tests,went "there".

Yep.

Its .45acp vs. 9x19 Parabellum time again!

BUT before anyone gets their knickers in a twist,the now oft-repeated internet caveat should be mentioned:

Whats more important then caliber is your ability with your particular gun.

With handguns chambered in service cartridges of all calibers from .32acp (YES,.32acp was used as a "service" cartridge,being prominently used in the Walther PP and PPK by police in Europe primarily in Germany; Patton even famously fired at a stuka with his colt pocket automatic chambered in it!) to 10mm,the most conclusive thing has been the anomalous performance recorded across the board when used against human adversaries.
(As a side note,the .22lr was even used as a service cartridge by the Mossad- with some effectiveness,too.)

According to one prominent web blogger on firearms,Stephen A. Camp:

"If a 150 pound deer can be shot through the heart with a .30-06 180-gr. expanding bullet at 2700 ft/sec and keep moving, should we expect that a 200 pound human hit with a 180-gr. expanding forty-caliber bullet at 975 ft/sec to be instantly incapacitated?"

You should not rely on your handgun caliber selection to even give you a slight advantage.
You should rely on your ability to get good,repeat hits with whatever gun/caliber you choose.

This post is strictly for informational purposes only,and not intended to ignite a flame war.

Of particular importance,IMHO,are the "bone tests" of both of these calibers.

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 08-14-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #2

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I, for one, find myself more accurate with

a .45 than a 9mm.

But since 9mm ammo is cheaper,

I can afford to attempt to compensate

with more practice...

However, in answer to Mr. Camp's questioning statement:

Deer have a much higher muscle-mass ratio than humans.

They exercise much more regularly, and lead a more

spartan life overall. Combine that with instinctive response,

and any hit to a deer's body which does not involve critical

damage (i.e.-"instant kill" or paralysis) will generally involve

a lot of running...

Last edited by therewolf; 08-14-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #3

To expound on Mr.Camps point- men in combat have been known to continue to fight even after suffering grievous bodily injury.
The phenomena of the human animals' ability to continue to fight even after mortally wounded by even full house blasts of buckshot from a 12 gauge shotgun to high caliber rifle fire is well documented.
Don't expect any typical service handgun caliber to be effective at immediate incapacitation unless the CNS is hit.

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I think a test on bear penetration, incapacitation, and perhaps decapitation would be more relevant.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I think a test on bear penetration, incapacitation, and perhaps decapitation would be more relevant.
You'd probably be better off with a .454 Casull or something dude.Thats far from what I'd call a service type cartridge,but hey- whatever floats your boat.
-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh View Post
You'd probably be better off with a .454 Casull or something dude.Thats far from what I'd call a service type cartridge,but hey- whatever floats your boat.
I'm just saying that bears would be more realistic than ballistic jelly, even with bones in the jelly. Not to mention that the U.S. currently runs a surplus of bears.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

JonM Likes This 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #7

Dude,what is up with you and bears?

Are you a bear hunter or something?

-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh
Dude,what is up with you and bears?

Are you a bear hunter or something?
Lol he hates em. Its almost a ftf runnin gag

Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #9

I just have to ask- why?

Did he get mauled by one or something?

-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

No clue, maybe just cuz. I hate chipmunks because they mock me when I'm tree rat huntin.