Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Brass Fetcher "Goes There....." (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/brass-fetcher-goes-there-70319/)

KalashnikovJosh 08-14-2012 07:32 PM

Brass Fetcher "Goes There....."

Brass Fetcher,a website devoted to scientific,repeatable and reputable ballistic tests,went "there".

Yep.

Its .45acp vs. 9x19 Parabellum time again!

BUT before anyone gets their knickers in a twist,the now oft-repeated internet caveat should be mentioned:

Whats more important then caliber is your ability with your particular gun.

With handguns chambered in service cartridges of all calibers from .32acp (YES,.32acp was used as a "service" cartridge,being prominently used in the Walther PP and PPK by police in Europe primarily in Germany; Patton even famously fired at a stuka with his colt pocket automatic chambered in it!) to 10mm,the most conclusive thing has been the anomalous performance recorded across the board when used against human adversaries.
(As a side note,the .22lr was even used as a service cartridge by the Mossad- with some effectiveness,too.)

According to one prominent web blogger on firearms,Stephen A. Camp:

"If a 150 pound deer can be shot through the heart with a .30-06 180-gr. expanding bullet at 2700 ft/sec and keep moving, should we expect that a 200 pound human hit with a 180-gr. expanding forty-caliber bullet at 975 ft/sec to be instantly incapacitated?"

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/63wd6.jpg

You should not rely on your handgun caliber selection to even give you a slight advantage.
You should rely on your ability to get good,repeat hits with whatever gun/caliber you choose.

This post is strictly for informational purposes only,and not intended to ignite a flame war.

Of particular importance,IMHO,are the "bone tests" of both of these calibers.

therewolf 08-14-2012 07:37 PM

I, for one, find myself more accurate with

a .45 than a 9mm.

But since 9mm ammo is cheaper,

I can afford to attempt to compensate

with more practice...;)

However, in answer to Mr. Camp's questioning statement:

Deer have a much higher muscle-mass ratio than humans.

They exercise much more regularly, and lead a more

spartan life overall. Combine that with instinctive response,

and any hit to a deer's body which does not involve critical

damage (i.e.-"instant kill" or paralysis) will generally involve

a lot of running...

KalashnikovJosh 08-14-2012 07:52 PM

To expound on Mr.Camps point- men in combat have been known to continue to fight even after suffering grievous bodily injury.
The phenomena of the human animals' ability to continue to fight even after mortally wounded by even full house blasts of buckshot from a 12 gauge shotgun to high caliber rifle fire is well documented.
Don't expect any typical service handgun caliber to be effective at immediate incapacitation unless the CNS is hit.

orangello 08-14-2012 07:52 PM

I think a test on bear penetration, incapacitation, and perhaps decapitation would be more relevant.

KalashnikovJosh 08-14-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 903780)
I think a test on bear penetration, incapacitation, and perhaps decapitation would be more relevant.

You'd probably be better off with a .454 Casull or something dude.Thats far from what I'd call a service type cartridge,but hey- whatever floats your boat.

orangello 08-14-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh (Post 903797)
You'd probably be better off with a .454 Casull or something dude.Thats far from what I'd call a service type cartridge,but hey- whatever floats your boat.

I'm just saying that bears would be more realistic than ballistic jelly, even with bones in the jelly. Not to mention that the U.S. currently runs a surplus of bears.

KalashnikovJosh 08-14-2012 08:12 PM

Dude,what is up with you and bears?

Are you a bear hunter or something?

Josh1158 08-14-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh
Dude,what is up with you and bears?

Are you a bear hunter or something?

Lol he hates em. Its almost a ftf runnin gag

KalashnikovJosh 08-14-2012 08:35 PM

I just have to ask- why?

Did he get mauled by one or something?

Josh1158 08-14-2012 10:05 PM

No clue, maybe just cuz. I hate chipmunks because they mock me when I'm tree rat huntin.