Brand new gun owner looking for help please? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Brand new gun owner looking for help please?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 04:10 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If you have or plan on getting your ccw then may I suggest a Crosbreed Supertuck holster...while you are ordering one for the Glock, may as well order one for the XD or XDM you will soon be buying once you realize the horrible mistake you made buying the Glock...

OK OK!!! I'M JUST KIDDING!!! Once in a while I like to stir up the Glock fans just for fun

Seriously though, congrats on your first firearm! Glocks are great guns and most likely will only be one of many that you own through the years as you get more involved in the shooting community.

I am glad you steered away from the little keltec's and other "pocket guns" for your first purchase as they are much harder to become efficient/proficient with and you; being a first time gun owner need a lot of target practice. The pocket guns are NOT FUN at the range (where you need to be - A LOT initially) more recoil with less gun to absorb it therefore much harder to be accurate with in a self-defense "panic" situation and are more "point and shoot" versus "aim and shoot".

Learning the basics of aiming needs to come before "pointing". Like a lot of things in life "accuracy before speed" is the order of the day because accuracy is speed. Once you start to develop the muscle memory associated with the use of your gun/s you will you will see what I mean.

DO NOT LET YOURSELF BECOME ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO BUY A GUN AND THINK IT HAS A MAGIC FORCE FIELD THAT KEEPS YOU SAFE JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE IT, THEREFORE YOU DON'T REALLY NEED TO PRACTICE USING IT ALL THAT MUCH!

Practice & familiarization with your gun/s is more important than anything else, especially beneficial from a self-defense standpoint and keep in mind, you are responsible for where every round goes! Best to end up dumping them all in the intended target rather than the 10 yr. old eating his cereal at the breakfast table 3 houses down the street.

I am not a firearms instructor nor do I pretend to be, I am just a guy who has been involved with firearms for 39 of the 44 years I've been breathing and all of this is only my opinion from my own personal experience and the teachings that have been imparted to me by people who are/were more experienced than me in the course of my lifetime.

Last but certainly not the least; If you CCW then MAKE SURE you know the laws of your State pertaining to ccw.

Well, that's it! That's all I got for ya except to say congrats once again and have fun & stay safe!