Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Brand new gun owner looking for help please?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Brand new gun owner looking for help please?

Hi all,
New poster here hoping to get some advice if you don't mind. I will soon be a first time gun owner. I have done tons of research online (including these boards), spoken to a couple friends who own guns, and visited two gunshops.

This gun will be for self defense to keep at home, shoot at the range, and carry occasionally (when I need to travel to less than desirable areas).

I want to purchase a 9mm but it seems there are so many options so I am trying to narrow them down. Here are my criteria:

- Reliable
- Price. I don't want to (nor think I need to ) spend more than $600 or so. I don't mind paying more for quality, but I don't want to spend money I don't need to.
- Something not too large. While I don't plan to carry this too often, I do want to have the option and I figure the smaller it is, the more likely I will actually carry.

I have seen certain 9mm mentioned over and over for good conceal/carry. Some include..

Glock 26 or Glock 19 (little larger than 26)
S&W 3913 or 3914
Sig P239
Kahr MK9 PM9 CW9 or P9
Kel tec pf-9 or p11
S&W SD9

I plan to make more visits to shops, hold more guns, and rent a bunch to shoot. But I'm trying to narrow it down a bit instead of spending hundreds of dollars renting a dozen or so guns. So here are my questions..

1. Based on my criteria, what do you think of the guns I list? Do you have other suggestions?
2. Should I buy used or new? I'm sure this is subjective.
3. Is a manual safety a good idea or not? I've heard both sides of this argument.
4. Are there any other things I should keep in mind as I decide on a gun?

Looking forward to some good discussion!

Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've owned (or own) quite a few of them on your list. To be honest, the only way to find out what works for you is to shoot them. I've held guns that felt good but were difficult for me to shoot well. How much experience do you have with handguns? Do you already have your carry permit? Have you had any formal training?

As far as polymer guns, I like the XDs most of all. For metal guns, I'm a Sig fan and I have 2 P239s. The S&W SD9 is brand new to the market so it's an unknown quantity. The S&W 3913 is a great gun and a really nice carry. The Kahr's you mention are very small and don't make good fun range guns - ditto with the Kel-Tecs. Glocks don't work for me so I can't help you there. Everything is subjective and what works for me may not work for you. Also, I have guns with safeties and those without - either is fine as long as you train with them...

Old 11-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Shoot, shoot shoot. I went from a revolver to a pistol and I wish I had shot several brands before purchasing. So shoot all you can get your hands on before settling on THE one.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 11-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #4

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I agree with the statements above......shoot everything you can (more than once if you can).....what fits in my hand and works for me might not work for you.

I would not recommend the Keltec and Kahr on your list if you want to enjoy shooting it at the range they are a bit small and very "snappy".......great BUG or summer CC guns though (I have the PM9 as my summer carry)

I would also suggest trying out the Beretta Px4 Storm and the S&W M&P (I own 2 of the M&P's one compact and one full size)

Old 11-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I've owned (or own) quite a few of them on your list. To be honest, the only way to find out what works for you is to shoot them. I've held guns that felt good but were difficult for me to shoot well. How much experience do you have with handguns? Do you already have your carry permit? Have you had any formal training?

As far as polymer guns, I like the XDs most of all. For metal guns, I'm a Sig fan and I have 2 P239s. The S&W SD9 is brand new to the market so it's an unknown quantity. The S&W 3913 is a great gun and a really nice carry. The Kahr's you mention are very small and don't make good fun range guns - ditto with the Kel-Tecs. Glocks don't work for me so I can't help you there. Everything is subjective and what works for me may not work for you. Also, I have guns with safeties and those without - either is fine as long as you train with them...
NGIB, to answer some of your questions..I've shot a couple times with my brother who owns a Kahr P9. I've shot that along with a short barreled revolver (wasn't as crazy about..probably due to the bigger recoil) and something else. I forget the details of each gun except the P9. I am applying for a permit now. No formal training but I plan to take all the classes/training I can get. I'm not taking this lightly.

I agree I need and want to shoot. But like I said I want to narrow down the list a bit, and add to it if need be, before going. The range near me charges $12 a gun to rent, so obviously I'd rather rent 5 or so rather than 15. So I'm trying to get a list of 5 or so.

You say the Kahrs I mention are very small.. does that include the P9? I didn't think that was considered very small. Just want to verify.

You're right, the SD9 is new and maybe that's not ideal. I hear it fits the void between P&W and Sigma?

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #6

Larry and Drjason, thanks for the feedback. Like I said earlier, I want to shoot shoot and shoot. I just don't want to spend a small fortune renting tons of guns.

I simply want to narrow down my list, or add to it, before heading out.

DrJason, like NGIB you mention the Kahrs may be small. As I asked him, does this include the P9? I thought this was slightly bigger than the other Kahrs but still small enough to carry if needed.

I'll check out the Beretta Px4 Storm and the S&W M&P. I actually checked out the S&W M&P (when researching the SD9), but it seemed a bit pricier. I'll take another look.

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The Kahr P9 or CW9 are the larger of the Kahr 9mm guns. Having said this, they aren't very big nor very heavy. Great carry guns though. (I saw MK9/PM9 on your list and they are small). For an all purpose gun, I'd go with something a bit larger and easier to handle especially since you have limited experience. A Sig 229 or 239 is a great choice for a good range/carry piece. Other than 1911s, most of the rest of mine are Sigs. High quality and great shooters...

Old 11-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Take a look at the Ruger SR9c just to keep it interesting.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The Kahr P9 or CW9 are the larger of the Kahr 9mm guns. Having said this, they aren't very big nor very heavy. Great carry guns though. (I saw MK9/PM9 on your list and they are small). For an all purpose gun, I'd go with something a bit larger and easier to handle especially since you have limited experience. A Sig 229 or 239 is a great choice for a good range/carry piece. Other than 1911s, most of the rest of mine are Sigs. High quality and great shooters...
Great, makes sense regarding the Kahrs. I have the SIG 239 on my list but I'll take a look at the 229. Any major differences between them?

Old 11-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Take a look at the Ruger SR9c just to keep it interesting.
Ironically this was one that I should have added. I've seen lots of suggestions for the Ruger SR9 (as well as SC9.. not sure of the difference).

Thanks