Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Bought my first gun Friday!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Congrats. It's looking like an FN pistol is going to be my next purchase, either the FNX-9 or the FNP-45 USG. Cant decide which one though so I'll be anxious to see how yours shoots. Keep us posted.

Also, you might want to look into buying the Shooters Pack that FN puts out. It comes with a holster, mag holder, and a training barrel. The training barrel could definitely come in handy for you if practicing drawing or even for dry firing.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Pics please once availble!

Old 09-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Congrats. It's looking like an FN pistol is going to be my next purchase, either the FNX-9 or the FNP-45 USG. Cant decide which one though so I'll be anxious to see how yours shoots. Keep us posted.
Well, I ran 50 rounds through it before I purchased it. Like I said, I had a few problems at first due to limp-wristing, but as soon as I firmed up my grip and pushed my left and pulled my right hand I had no problems with the gun feeding properly. I mostly shot the gun SA and it was very accurate. I picked up 250 rounds of Federal ammunition today at Walmart. I can't wait to run them through the range over the next few weeks.

I was tempted to buy the FNP-45 Tactical they had, but the price of the gun and ammunition was just too high for me right now.

Quote:
Also, you might want to look into buying the Shooters Pack that FN puts out. It comes with a holster, mag holder, and a training barrel. The training barrel could definitely come in handy for you if practicing drawing or even for dry firing.
How can you carry with that kit? I don't really understand what the different attachments are and where they would allow you to carry the gun (basically IWB or OWB?).

EDIT:
I'll get a range report as soon as I can. What is the typical content of a range report? I was surprised there wasn't a sticky with a short list of things expected in one.

Last edited by irpotential; 09-11-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #14

Liked 671 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 674

I thought Fla, like NH had Given the ATF the finger and told them is was against the state constitution. Why could you not take it home?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I thought Fla, like NH had Given the ATF the finger and told them is was against the state constitution. Why could you not take it home?
They said there was a 3 day waiting period for the paperwork/background check to be processed. It's a bit silly though when you make anyone who has filled out an SF-86 for their employment (I'm a Navy/DoD civil servant) wait for a background check.

I'm not in a huge hurry though. I've only just learned to shoot, so I don't intend to carry yet (and don't have a permit yet) and I wasn't planning on shooting again until Friday anyway.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpotential View Post
Well, I ran 50 rounds through it before I purchased it. Like I said, I had a few problems at first due to limp-wristing, but as soon as I firmed up my grip and pushed my left and pulled my right hand I had no problems with the gun feeding properly. I mostly shot the gun SA and it was very accurate. I picked up 250 rounds of Federal ammunition today at Walmart. I can't wait to run them through the range over the next few weeks.

I was tempted to buy the FNP-45 Tactical they had, but the price of the gun and ammunition was just too high for me right now.
Yeah, the FNP-45 Tactical is a really cool pistol, but it's also very expensive. Plus I wouldn't use a lot of the features that the pistol offers.

It sounds like you're shooting in a Weaver stance (one are straight, one bent, and pushing/pulling the pistol), and that's fine. You're welcome to shoot however you like and tell anyone who says otherwise just where they can go, but if you're open to suggestion, there are many many people that shoot weaver, but there are also a lot of people now that are shooting Isosceles stance (me included), which is newer, but believed to be better. Now you may not know what this means (I didn't for the longest time), but I would recommend you read a book called Surgical Speed Shooting, by a guy named Andy Stanford. It explains the different stances and the benefits and drawbacks of each, plus a ton of other stuff beginning with the basics and working all the way up. I read it and would totally recommend it, it's a great read.

Quote:
How can you carry with that kit? I don't really understand what the different attachments are and where they would allow you to carry the gun (basically IWB or OWB?).

EDIT:
I'll get a range report as soon as I can. What is the typical content of a range report? I was surprised there wasn't a sticky with a short list of things expected in one.
It's only an OWB holster, but it comes with two means of attaching it to your belt. One of the methods is simply two loops that the belt goes through, the other has a slot for the belt, but also has a big "paddle" for added support. The other accessories that come with it are nice, but one of the main reasons I suggest getting it is that Holsters for the FNP series are hard to find at this time. Blade-Tech is one of the few companies making them. Fobus is the only other company that I know of that makes them, which is another good company. They just don't make holsters for the FNP-45.

It just depends on whether you want a holster or not.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
There's a 3 day waiting period unless you have a concealed weapons permit, in which case there is none.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #18

Quote:
It sounds like you're shooting in a Weaver stance (one are straight, one bent, and pushing/pulling the pistol), and that's fine. You're welcome to shoot however you like and tell anyone who says otherwise just where they can go, but if you're open to suggestion, there are many many people that shoot weaver, but there are also a lot of people now that are shooting Isosceles stance (me included), which is newer, but believed to be better. Now you may not know what this means (I didn't for the longest time), but I would recommend you read a book called Surgical Speed Shooting, by a guy named Andy Stanford. It explains the different stances and the benefits and drawbacks of each, plus a ton of other stuff beginning with the basics and working all the way up. I read it and would totally recommend it, it's a great read.
I believe the stance I've been instructed to use is the isosceles stance. My shoulders are square to the target and my arms are both equally extended. I'll take a look at that book and maybe buy it when I have some more time.

Quote:
It just depends on whether you want a holster or not.
Can you recommend an IWB holster? I don't really plan on shooting competitively (I may go just for fun at some point though), but I may carry concealed at some point and will probably practice that way once I'm ready to draw the weapon from a holster.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #19

Quote:
I believe the stance I've been instructed to use is the isosceles stance. My shoulders are square to the target and my arms are both equally extended. I'll take a look at that book and maybe buy it when I have some more time.
Yeah, that's isosceles. Just typically when people use the push/pull method it's in the weaver stance.

Quote:
Can you recommend an IWB holster? I don't really plan on shooting competitively (I may go just for fun at some point though), but I may carry concealed at some point and will probably practice that way once I'm ready to draw the weapon from a holster.
Give me a few minutes to look around at some of the usual suspects and I'll see which of them make IWB holsters for the FNX.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #20

Liked 671 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 674

Quote:
They said there was a 3 day waiting period for the paperwork/background check to be processed. It's a bit silly though when you make anyone who has filled out an SF-86 for their employment (I'm a Navy/DoD civil servant) wait for a background check.

I'm not in a huge hurry though. I've only just learned to shoot, so I don't intend to carry yet (and don't have a permit yet) and I wasn't planning on shooting again until Friday anyway.
That is still a bunch of BS. I guess Fla is not as free as I thought. Glad to be in the True free state. Clinton said about NH once, Forget the Marines, we can send NH and have 10,000 guns and riflemen. BTW that is the last time I'll ever qoute that dickless wonder. It was just after the Brady bill was signed, before it came into law. 10,000 Firearms sold in NH. That was a 2 week period.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.