Bogus AT&T
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Bogus AT&T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Bogus AT&T

Here it was, Tuesday evening (around 8:00pm and very dark outside) and I was watching TV. My door bell rang. I wasn't expecting anyone nor was my wife. I got up and grabbed my S&W Model 60 .357 on the way to the door. My front entry is all stained glass, and I can see the porch without being seen at night. There was two rather rough-looking guys standing there.

I spoke through the door rather than opening it, and said, yeah what do you want? The bigger of the two said they were with AT&T and wanted to speak to me. I said no thanks, please leave. The smaller guy spoke up this time and said it was important that I speak with them. (They had no AT&T ID's or anything on them that I could see)

I immediately and sternly replied; I don't know who you are and I don't want you here, so consider this is your last opportunity to leave here alive. They left... My wife called the local LEO's and reported it. The two guys were arrested three doors down. They were rip-off scammers.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

It's amazing how often this kind of stuff happens. I don't ever answer the door without a firearm in hand. I keep my SP101 on the coffee table and that's what I generally grab...

Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5672 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
It's amazing how often this kind of stuff happens. I don't ever answer the door without a firearm in hand. I keep my SP101 on the coffee table and that's what I generally grab...
totally agree. my colt series 70 is at hand whatever room im in. there is a huge increase in robberies from gangs in milwaukee exporting themselves for the day into surrounding counties. last week my doorbell rang and i had my colt behind my back. it was my neighbor across the street and his daughter selling girl scout cookies had to buy and sign em one handed heh.

you did well to do what ya did. never know when scum like that says fk it im cold lets just do some R&R(rob and rape). but you will never hear in the media how guns make ya safer when combined with intelligent thought.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #4

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
They were rip-off scammers.
So they DID work for AT&T!

/Ba dum Ching

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 01-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
So they DID work for AT&T!

/Ba dum Ching
I guess they DID! LMAO...

That's why I don't have AT&T...

Old 01-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 771

I'm telling you man, you better be real careful before you take on Ma Bell.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #7

Our local news in WestMI warned that something like this was
occuring in our area just last week - but they were claiming to be
with a gas co.

I've gotten over being a polite lady as I watched my husband talk
to people through a closed door - barely feel a rude twinge as I do
it now.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I got an email to my one gmail account claiming to be from gmail.

It had a .txt document attached so I being curious opened it.

It said

"You have a gmail account and your account settings are expired. Pleese fil out fourm and send in replaye email to update your accounte settings." (NO I DIDN'T misspell anything that is what they had typed)......

User Name:
Passworde:
credit card number:

Thank You"

Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #9

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Back in the 1990's I worked for contract companys to Pacific Bell here in California. Now called AT&T. We did alot of rear easment aerial jobs for them and had to get backyard access in residential areas to easment for telephone cable to replace and splice bad sections.

Usually the occupants of these houses had been contacted in advance of the jobs and were given the info of the contract company doing the work. We always had phone company picture I.D. badges along with our company picture I.D. badges that we had to wear at all times performing this kind of work. Access was usually easy but if a gate was locked and nobody was home we left door knocker cards letting the folks know we were coming back to perform the work. Also we usually had a subway inspector representing the phone company to iron out any issues with access to their back yards.

You got to be careful these days as there is alot of creative scammers out there just chomping at the bits to take your shat.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Good job on not opening the door. People are too quick to fling open the door these days.