Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Bogus AT&T (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/bogus-t-37133/)

Mark F 01-20-2011 11:42 AM

Bogus AT&T

Here it was, Tuesday evening (around 8:00pm and very dark outside) and I was watching TV. My door bell rang. I wasn't expecting anyone nor was my wife. I got up and grabbed my S&W Model 60 .357 on the way to the door. My front entry is all stained glass, and I can see the porch without being seen at night. There was two rather rough-looking guys standing there.

I spoke through the door rather than opening it, and said, yeah what do you want? The bigger of the two said they were with AT&T and wanted to speak to me. I said no thanks, please leave. The smaller guy spoke up this time and said it was important that I speak with them. (They had no AT&T ID's or anything on them that I could see)

I immediately and sternly replied; I don't know who you are and I don't want you here, so consider this is your last opportunity to leave here alive. They left... My wife called the local LEO's and reported it. The two guys were arrested three doors down. They were rip-off scammers.

NGIB 01-20-2011 11:46 AM

It's amazing how often this kind of stuff happens. I don't ever answer the door without a firearm in hand. I keep my SP101 on the coffee table and that's what I generally grab...

JonM 01-20-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 425748)
It's amazing how often this kind of stuff happens. I don't ever answer the door without a firearm in hand. I keep my SP101 on the coffee table and that's what I generally grab...

totally agree. my colt series 70 is at hand whatever room im in. there is a huge increase in robberies from gangs in milwaukee exporting themselves for the day into surrounding counties. last week my doorbell rang and i had my colt behind my back. it was my neighbor across the street and his daughter selling girl scout cookies had to buy and sign em one handed heh.

you did well to do what ya did. never know when scum like that says fk it im cold lets just do some R&R(rob and rape). but you will never hear in the media how guns make ya safer when combined with intelligent thought.

Yunus 01-20-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark F (Post 425747)
They were rip-off scammers.

So they DID work for AT&T! :D

/Ba dum Ching

Mark F 01-20-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus (Post 425763)
So they DID work for AT&T! :D

/Ba dum Ching

I guess they DID! LMAO...

That's why I don't have AT&T...

ScottA 01-20-2011 01:31 PM

I'm telling you man, you better be real careful before you take on Ma Bell.

Puff 01-20-2011 05:30 PM

Our local news in WestMI warned that something like this was
occuring in our area just last week - but they were claiming to be
with a gas co.

I've gotten over being a polite lady as I watched my husband talk
to people through a closed door - barely feel a rude twinge as I do
it now.

cpttango30 01-20-2011 06:11 PM

I got an email to my one gmail account claiming to be from gmail.

It had a .txt document attached so I being curious opened it.

It said

"You have a gmail account and your account settings are expired. Pleese fil out fourm and send in replaye email to update your accounte settings." (NO I DIDN'T misspell anything that is what they had typed)......

User Name:
Passworde:
credit card number:

Thank You"

mrm14 01-20-2011 06:13 PM

Back in the 1990's I worked for contract companys to Pacific Bell here in California. Now called AT&T. We did alot of rear easment aerial jobs for them and had to get backyard access in residential areas to easment for telephone cable to replace and splice bad sections.

Usually the occupants of these houses had been contacted in advance of the jobs and were given the info of the contract company doing the work. We always had phone company picture I.D. badges along with our company picture I.D. badges that we had to wear at all times performing this kind of work. Access was usually easy but if a gate was locked and nobody was home we left door knocker cards letting the folks know we were coming back to perform the work. Also we usually had a subway inspector representing the phone company to iron out any issues with access to their back yards.

You got to be careful these days as there is alot of creative scammers out there just chomping at the bits to take your shat.

Gojubrian 01-20-2011 07:07 PM

Good job on not opening the door. People are too quick to fling open the door these days.