Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Blamblamblamblamblamblamblamblamblam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I need as many as I feel comfortable with. For me, if they're semi auto, they're high capacity. If I'm carrying six or seven rounds, it's a revolver.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #82

Liked 2193 Times on 1259 Posts
Likes Given: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
You're kidding, right? Better than .357 magnum? Wow.
Jeez, Doc, it doesn't have to do with better, per se.

.357 is a powerful round, and will over-penetrate.

When you get a chance on a private range to do your own

ballistics tests, it will bear this out. .45, and 9mm are designed

to generally spend their terminal energy inside the first BG.

Two dynamics come into play here. The bullet doesn't blow

right through the first person, then start cooking it's way

through walls,baby carriages, etc and into the next unintended

victim. The OTHER dynamic has to do with the slower speed

and lesser MV upon the expanding HP slug. The longer the slug

is in the BG, the more time it has to expand.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1252 Times on 784 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Jeez, Doc, it doesn't have to do with better, per se.

.357 is a powerful round, and will over-penetrate.

When you get a chance on a private range to do your own

ballistics tests, it will bear this out. .45, and 9mm are designed

to generally spend their terminal energy inside the first BG.

Two dynamics come into play here. The bullet doesn't blow

right through the first person, then start cooking it's way

through walls,baby carriages, etc and into the next unintended

victim. The OTHER dynamic has to do with the slower speed

and lesser MV upon the expanding HP slug. The longer the slug

is in the BG, the more time it has to expand.
I have news for you my friend, the 357 with 110 gr JHP usually will not exit the human body and the 125 gr JSP will occasionally exit with a spray of bullet fragments and body tissue. No over penetration there. As stated earlier the 158 gr JHP will over penetrate.
If you want to stop an aggressive human 'animal' with a handgun, it doesn't get any better than a 357 Mag 125 gr JHP. I know this FIRST HAND!!!!
Note, time 'in the target' is irrelevant! A few micro seconds difference between 1000 fps and 1400 fps makes no difference whatsoever.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 06-22-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #84
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1737 Times on 977 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I said the best all round not the most powerful. How many police forces and armies use .357 ? . PS I was replying to bigger is better the .357 is 9mm just at a higher velocity.
Up until the Miami FBI shootout most police departments around here used .357. After the Miami shootout some of them changed to higher capacity 9mm, but most have shifted away from that now. Many departments these days are using the .40 S&W or .45 ACP. Of course Florida Highway Patrol has to be different. They seem to be moving to .45 GAP.

In regards to your original statement,

Quote:
The 9mm is the best all round handgun ammo.
I took exception for one simple reason. Would you hunt with a 9mm handgun?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #85
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4471 Times on 2358 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
That's an even better drill if you have a friend with a stopwatch. Get them to time you the first two times. After that try to safely beat your own times. Once you reach a plateau have the friend call out different targets.

The really sad part is that this is good practice, but most of us will never have a chance to do it. Between the lawyers and the insurance companies most of the shooters out there are limited to slow fire paper punching.
Thats why i took up cowboy action shooting. Yeah the guns arent the same but hitting a target is hitting a target when trying to be fast. Its not easy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JimRau Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #86
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1575 Times on 870 Posts
Likes Given: 4790

I spent the day working in the yard. Only had 7 rounds. Didn't even have to shoot anything.
I was hoping for moles, since they are on the increase, figured 7 rounds was sufficient.

I'll carry more if I leave the property. not that I expect to see many moles.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 06-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #87

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I carry a Glock 36 and 7 rounds of .45 is more than I need for self defense!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 606 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Quote:
Would you hunt with any handgun when there are tens of millions of perfectly good bolt action rifles and semi-automatic rifles and billions of rounds of ammunition for them?

Who is going to be hunting with handguns in this post-anarchy America that everyone is so afraid of?

In what survival situation would you take your handgun with you and not your rifle?

Who carries more rounds for their pistol or revolver, in the real world vs internet fantasy world, than for their rifles or carbines?

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm not taking a .357 Magnum revolver over a 556 carbine if ever the carbine is available to me. A .357 revolver weighs over 2 pounds. That's equivalent to two PMAG's worth of 556.

Also, if you're in an area where you can hunt, is there some reason why you could not or would not carry a rifle or carbine with you?

I'm pretty sure the most likely threat you'll ever face before or after anarchy is the threat of assault by other two legged animals better known as humans, not four legged animals like lions and tigers and bears, to take what you have.

If we get to the point where all we have left to shoot at each other with are handguns, it won't matter what caliber handgun you have, it'll only matter that you still have ammunition. I think the fellers carrying 9MM will have more ammunition left.

There's a lot more 9MM out there than .357 Magnum.

If someone made an 8 shot revolver that accepted rimless cartridges, like the Medusa revolver does, I'd be a lot more interested in it. For now, I have .357 Magnum revolvers and a 9MM pistol.

Any hunting activities performed with either handgun would be an accident.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #89

Liked 256 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
The original was about mag capacity and self defence not hunting you wouldn't be hunting here with a handgun as its illegal. When I say best all round I am talking about handgun rounds.

Last edited by manta; 06-23-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #90
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1737 Times on 977 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Would you hunt with any handgun when there are tens of millions of perfectly good bolt action rifles and semi-automatic rifles and billions of rounds of ammunition for them?

Who is going to be hunting with handguns in this post-anarchy America that everyone is so afraid of?

In what survival situation would you take your handgun with you and not your rifle?

Who carries more rounds for their pistol or revolver, in the real world vs internet fantasy world, than for their rifles or carbines?

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm not taking a .357 Magnum revolver over a 556 carbine if ever the carbine is available to me. A .357 revolver weighs over 2 pounds. That's equivalent to two PMAG's worth of 556.

Also, if you're in an area where you can hunt, is there some reason why you could not or would not carry a rifle or carbine with you?

I'm pretty sure the most likely threat you'll ever face before or after anarchy is the threat of assault by other two legged animals better known as humans, not four legged animals like lions and tigers and bears, to take what you have.

If we get to the point where all we have left to shoot at each other with are handguns, it won't matter what caliber handgun you have, it'll only matter that you still have ammunition. I think the fellers carrying 9MM will have more ammunition left.

There's a lot more 9MM out there than .357 Magnum.

If someone made an 8 shot revolver that accepted rimless cartridges, like the Medusa revolver does, I'd be a lot more interested in it. For now, I have .357 Magnum revolvers and a 9MM pistol.

Any hunting activities performed with either handgun would be an accident.
Handgun hunting is a very viable and popular sport around here. It is specifically allowed during our general gun season.