Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Blamblamblamblamblamblamblamblamblam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
so your telling me if you got 3 or 4 goblins trying to kill and rob you (typical number in a holdup robbery where the victims are killed outright) 6 rounds is plenty because that would be two more than the 4 needed for the 4 goblins??

Well . . . yeah.

I'm not arguing against anyone carrying more rounds, and, as I said, it would probably be a better idea to carry another mag on on my person (I have two 7 rounds mags in the backpack I carry around -- but it could be left in my car). But, for whatever reason -- confidence, overconfidence, laziness, habit, bad habit, convenience -- I'm not worried about only having seven rounds in the mag. I'm not saying I'm smart about it, and there have been a couple of time in exceptional circumstaces where I was carrying two guns and extra mags, but as a general rule I don't carry an extra mag on my person.
i just want to point out as someone that has done police work that when fight or flight hormones are running through your bloodstream your ability to put rounds in a 1.5 inch circle becomes somehting close to 25inch circles and maybe hitting those. under those circumstance your going to be needing a few more than you think. handguns you need to hit a target about the size of a human fist in the chest past bones and muscle. this makes it a VERY VERY difficult task even if everything is perfect and your an ace shot. they just lack the power to really get it done reliably under ideal conditions.

and for beyoundthebox... a typical store robery usually involves 3-4 goblins. this is what is most likely to happen to you if anything is. true home invasions are 3-4 goblins as well. occasionally you get a wacked out druggy breaking in a window or a serial rapist type thing but the norm is multiple badguys.

now, when something is happening like that the goblin is not going to stand there like a paper target hanger at the range with a nice pretty x-ring waiting for you to line up your sights perfectly. it generally takes 3-4 hits to stop an average human barring any flukey luck shots. thats if your a miracle shot and never miss. reloading from a pocket is incredibly slow and clumsy. try it sometimes to do it fast.

cap all that off with adrenaline and you quickly lose the ability to think and function in a smooth fashion. (voice of experience) rounds in the gun is a key to survival.

rules of self defense are inviolate.

1. have a gun, any gun. if all you have is a single shot flintlock its better than a fist.
2. have the biggest gun with most bullets in the gun you can conviently carry for the situation.
3. have a cellphone for calling for help

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 06-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #32

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Good points, all.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

My main concern would be self defense and defense of my loved ones. If I can do that with one round, that would be enough. If it takes more I would like to have it with me. I sincerely doubt I would ever have a need for more than 21 rounds, which works out to one full load plus a spare magazine for me. My daughter carries 22 rounds, five in the gun, a speed-loader, and two speed strips. My brother is a Democrat. He carries a spare battery for his cellphone.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #34
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 724 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 218

At first I carried a S&W Model 36 with five rounds, and maybe a handy speed loader. I have switched to my Avatar, series 70 Colt 1911 with seven in condition 1. Sometimes I carry an extra mag, or at least have one in the car. This is duplicated for the bedroom.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3644

My two main carry guns.

16+1 12+1

Yep, I carry an extra mag.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #36

Liked 256 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I look at several different things when picking a firearm that all rank at the same level of importance. As fat as mag capacity goes I look at number of rounds versus type of carry. My main carry is my Ruger SR9 with 17+1 and an extra mag of 17. I also carry a Taurus TCP that holds 6+1 as a back up. So at any given time I will have 42 rounds of a mix of 9mm and 380. I shoot regularly and run different practices to try and stay sharp, but I've never been shot at before. I highly doubt I'll be able to group my shots with a target that shoots back. Between adrenaline, fear, and a bad vase of the shakes when I get angry, upset, or any other emotion I'll probably do good to even be close to my target. So, yes, I look at mag capacity when choosing a firearm. It factors in with everything else.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #37

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

I think there's a huge difference between buying a gun because it has a high capacity and carrying extra mags.

One seems logical, the other idiotic, to me. As if you'd have the time to change a magazine in a gun fight. Laughable. Shoot until threat eliminated or bullets gone, then run or start kicking balls into throats.

Sure, one can create all the supportive scenarios they want to justify their spare mag or gun, but in the end, this is how I will always see it... frantic paranoia and overthetopization.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #38

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I carry a 1911, so max cap is not a big deal to me. That PSA was cute though. Looked more like a disparaging comment to a 9mm then a lack of capacity.

Now do I want to see hi cap mags go? Hell no! People have a right to ninja it up or carry what they see fit. I don't care if it's a Tommy gun with a strap of drum mags. But I think most peopel that work in the civillian (non LEO) world needs to think more about shot placement than how many projectiles they can spray down range. One look at how many rounds are fired in a SD situation will explain it more eloquent than I.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Now bat on cat daddys!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 06-20-2013 at 06:29 AM.
txpossum Likes This 
Old 06-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #39

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I think there's a huge difference between buying a gun because it has a high capacity and carrying extra mags.

One seems logical, the other idiotic, to me. As if you'd have the time to change a magazine in a gun fight. Laughable. Shoot until threat eliminated or bullets gone, then run or start kicking balls into throats.

Sure, one can create all the supportive scenarios they want to justify their spare mag or gun, but in the end, this is how I will always see it... frantic paranoia and overthetopization.
People don't necessarily carry a spare only for the off chance they run dry. Mag failures, as has been mentioned before, are a big reason.

People carry guns because they don't know if they'll need it; CCW is based on the "what if". If you're carrying a gun because you might need it, carrying an extra mag because you may also need it doesn't sound all that far fetched.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

People Like This 
Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #40

Liked 374 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
More of the myth!!!!
If you use modern defense ammo there is less than 5% difference in the permanent wound cavity (ability to stop the fight) caused by the 9, 40, and the 45. And to add to this the 45 really lags way behind the rest if you shot a barrel shorter than 4.25 inch as it will lose much of it's velocity, which is low to begin with.
+1. While it's framed a little different, this is another in a long line of "My 45's better than your 9mm" threads. I've got both, I carry both, feel confident with either/or. MHO? The 38 Super's better than both the 9 and 45.

Newest Threads