Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Blamblamblamblamblamblamblamblamblam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 350 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 104

6 is plenty until you need more then it could be to late. I have never heard anyone complaining that they had to much ammo. The ones that had not enough probably are not around to complain. People carry a firearm in case they need it to defend themselves the even if odds of that are very low. So why not carry extra ammo in case you need it even if the odds are low that they would need it. As for confidence to hit the target unless they have being in a situation that someone is shooting at them they don't know how they would react they could find their accuracy might go down hill.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Some people feel that 45acp is some sort of magic bullet, requiring fewer rounds.

The fact is that some bad guys will run at the sight of a gun, even a 22lr. Another subset of bad guys will stop (or run away) after being shot a single time, regardless of caliber. In these cases ANY gun would be effective to end the threat.

The real problem is a third level of assailant: the kind that won't stop unless their body--through blood loss or CNS interruption--is forced to stop. For those situations, perhaps a Glock 17 with a magazine reload won't do the trick.

What's the answer? I suppose there isn't one. I ALWAYS carry an extra magazine to whatever gun I am carrying at the time, but that is more because of a possible failure, not because I'm going to perform any tactical reloads.

I'm most worried about the stress that I'll be under in a critical situation. I'd just rather have more rounds than fewer rounds. And yes, 45acp is better than 9mm!
More of the myth!!!!
If you use modern defense ammo there is less than 5% difference in the permanent wound cavity (ability to stop the fight) caused by the 9, 40, and the 45. And to add to this the 45 really lags way behind the rest if you shot a barrel shorter than 4.25 inch as it will lose much of it's velocity, which is low to begin with.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #23

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

I think most things in the gun world come down to possibility vs probability and which side you fall on.

If I were being honest, possibility is the best side to be on because no matter how much math you do, the only thing you're going to come up with is an average, and I would think that wisdom dictates that you should never bank on the average.

However, I am a probability guy, because living is more than numbers.

Sure there are always the what ifs, but I've always strayed far from that game. I consider the what if and possibility game one for fools. I'd rather just use the average and enjoy living my life, not scared of the unpredictable.

The world is as scary as you allow it to be. Is the idea of being shot or physically harmed by a BG scary, sure, but I will not let it make me a frantic fool, nor an uncomfortable one. That just means they've won.

No matter how many bullets I have, in the end, I'm going to live and I'm going to die. Those are irrefutable and undeniable facts. From there it's on each of us to decide how the former happens.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 06-19-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
IMO, the magazine is the weakest link in the setup.

I carry extra fuses in my car (just in case).
I have lanterns in my house (just in case).
I carry extra band-aids in my wallet (just in case).
I keep extra pens in my desk (just in case).

I carry an extra magazine (just in case).
(And it doesn't matter which pistol I'm carrying at that time.)
Great point, but that's less about capacity and more about preparation.

Still a great point.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5115 Times on 2661 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
How important is magazine capacity in choosing a handgun, and why?

I sorta take the 1911 as my basic standard. As long as it holds seven or eight rounds, I'm good. If I were really worried about it, I'd carry an extra magazine or two on my belt, but I don't. Seems a little excessive. Oh, there's probably more ammo in the car if I get caught away from home when the zombie war breaks out, but as a general rule I'm fine with seven rounds on my person.

It's not that I've never had the option of carrying more ammo. I've had a couple of Hi-Powers, a Glock 23, and a Para Ordanance P-14, but never really took to them as a daily carry gun, which, as stated elsewhere, for the last 15 years or so has usually be a Springfield 1911 or a .40 Firestar.

It actually seemed weird that the Glock held so many rounds. I'd look at the filled magazine and think "what am I gonna DO with all these extra bullets".

So . . . how many bullets do you think you need, and WHY?
ive never been in a situation where there was such a thing as too many rounds in the magazine...

when someone is shooting at you, trying to rape you (yes men can be and are raped like women are, you just dont hear it in the news much), trying to rob you, trying to murder your children, you will not, after the incident is over, say to yourself... damn i wish i didnt have those extra 3 bullets in the gun.

so your telling me if you got 3 or 4 goblins trying to kill and rob you (typical number in a holdup robbery where the victims are killed outright) 6 rounds is plenty because that would be two more than the 4 needed for the 4 goblins??

me, ill take 21 or more and spare mags if i have a choice about it. one of the reasons i bought a 9mm berreta is its ability to use 20 round magazines and having one in the chamber.

when i was in the army they like to do deployments where they passed out ammo gear and didnt tell us it wasnt for real and just training. the first time it happend i sat there in the C130 looking at my M60 with its 100 round belt and thinking "oh sht... this isnt going to be enough ammo..."

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 06-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
so your telling me if you got 3 or 4 goblins trying to kill and rob you (typical number in a holdup robbery where the victims are killed outright) 6 rounds is plenty because that would be two more than the 4 needed for the 4 goblins??

me, ill take 21 or more and spare mags if i have a choice about it. one of the reasons i bought a 9mm berreta is its ability to use 20 round magazines and having one in the chamber.
3 or 4? Really? I mean sure, in a home robbery. In which case, yes, absolutely, have the gun(s) with the highest capacity you've got handy because concealment isn't an issue. But self defense, in the real world, just seems unreasonable to me, to think there'd be 3 or 4 BGs. But maybe I don't have the imagination necessary to consider that a reasonable conclusion.

Hmmm, interesting thought Jon. I guess demographics play a major role in this too, though. For me, I firmly stick with and am fully confident in my 6 or 7 rounds.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #27

Liked 350 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting thought Jon. I guess demographics play a major role in this too, though. For me, I firmly stick with and am fully confident in my 6 or 7 rounds
There was a guy here that was attacked by three people two armed with AK 47-S. He was down to his last few rounds when they ran away like the cowards they were. The point if they continued the attack he would be dead due to not having enough ammo. If you carry a firearm just in case carry ammo just in case, makes sense to me.

Quote:
I had only two or three rounds left at this stage and I remember thinking: ‘If he comes in for me now I’ll just lie here and let him shoot away at me.’ The adrenaline had all left the body and I couldn’t have cared less. I could see all the blood pouring out of my boots.”

The crew of a military helicopter coming to Eric’s assistance spotted the three remaining gunmen who were still at the scene.

They fled towards the border but were picked up by Garda officers and arrested.

Last edited by manta; 06-19-2013 at 06:59 PM.
towboater Likes This 
Old 06-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #28

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Well . . . yeah.

I'm not arguing against anyone carrying more rounds, and, as I said, it would probably be a better idea to carry another mag on on my person (I have two 7 rounds mags in the backpack I carry around -- but it could be left in my car). But, for whatever reason -- confidence, overconfidence, laziness, habit, bad habit, convenience -- I'm not worried about only having seven rounds in the mag. I'm not saying I'm smart about it, and there have been a couple of time in exceptional circumstaces where I was carrying two guns and extra mags, but as a general rule I don't carry an extra mag on my person.

Last edited by txpossum; 06-19-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #29

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Although I have to say that, after listening to some of the arguments in this thread, I may start carrying an extra mag. It's gotten me to thinking.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #30

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Interesting topic. I carried a 1911 for about 5 years when I was in my early 30's with one magazine and no extras. I never felt under gunned. Maybe I was just full of my self and my abilities. Well I am almost 60 now and carry a GLOCK 23 (13) round and 2 magazines. The 2 extra magazines help balance the pistol.
Truth is under extreme stress I am not sure of how accurate I am going to be. I do shoot IDPA 2x a month to stay in some assemblage of form, but I just do not know for sure in a real situation. If I was defending solely myself probably the one magazine would be fine. However if I was rendering aid in a worst case scenario to others I think having the extra rounds is not a bad idea especially if something happens where you are outside your vehicle and away from home.