Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Blamblamblamblamblamblamblamblamblam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'll assume since you're referencing choosing a handgun that we're talking about normal, civilian CCW. I really don't think there's an issue with capacity and what one person chooses over another. I've carried a five shot air weight as well as full sized Glocks and Sigs, all depending on the weather and what I could dress around.

I think the bare minimum for any defense handgun should be 5, and that's just the starting point. 7 or 8 is better... Who knows when a bad primer might pop up? I prefer to have 10 or more, just as a precaution, but I wouldn't feel underpowered with just my Colt Commander and 8 rds. Personally, I think reliability and familiarity of the gun is more important than capacity for CCW.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Last edited by HighSpeed; 06-19-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #12

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

My everyday ccw is a PT740 which is 6+1. Additionally I carry one and sometimes two 6 round mags depending on clothing. Although, when clothing limits me to just the handgun I feel 7 rounds should be enough.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #13

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed
I'll assume since you're referencing choosing a handgun that we're talking about normal, civilian CCW. I really don't think there's an issue with capacity and what one person chooses over another. I've carried a five shot air weight as well as full sized Glocks and Sigs, all depending on the weather and what I could dress around.

I think the bare minimum for any defense handgun should be 5, and that's just the starting point. 7 or 8 is better... Who knows when a bad primer might pop up? I prefer to have 10 or more, just as a precaution, but I wouldn't feel underpowered with just my Colt Commander and 8 rds. Personally, I think reliability and familiarity of the gun is more important than capacity for CCW.
ETA: I know I should probably carry an extra mag, but more often than not I just have one in the gun. Lately it's a G30, 19 or 26.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 06-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #14

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1996

Both my carries are 5+1 one in .45 and one in 9mm depending on how thin I want to feel , I dont carry a extra mag , I probably should but again Im not looking for a shoot out. Im looking to stop the threat and move away as quickly as possible from the situation

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 06-19-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

On the 1911, if you carry at least one extra mag, you have 14-16 rounds of 45 ACP at your disposal. Even more if you have a 1911 that accepts double stack mags.

That SHOULD be enough for most situations. The chances of needing more are extremely slim.

That said, people should be allowed to decide for themselves how many rounds they need. That is their RIGHT.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #16

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Some people feel that 45acp is some sort of magic bullet, requiring fewer rounds.

The fact is that some bad guys will run at the sight of a gun, even a 22lr. Another subset of bad guys will stop (or run away) after being shot a single time, regardless of caliber. In these cases ANY gun would be effective to end the threat.

The real problem is a third level of assailant: the kind that won't stop unless their body--through blood loss or CNS interruption--is forced to stop. For those situations, perhaps a Glock 17 with a magazine reload won't do the trick.

What's the answer? I suppose there isn't one. I ALWAYS carry an extra magazine to whatever gun I am carrying at the time, but that is more because of a possible failure, not because I'm going to perform any tactical reloads.

I'm most worried about the stress that I'll be under in a critical situation. I'd just rather have more rounds than fewer rounds. And yes, 45acp is better than 9mm!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #17

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Some people feel that 45acp is some sort of magic bullet, requiring fewer rounds.

The real problem is a third level of assailant: the kind that won't stop unless their body--through blood loss or CNS interruption--is forced to stop. For those situations, perhaps a Glock 17 with a magazine reload won't do the trick.

Definitely, someone using meth or pcp etc could require 5-6 or even more rounds for immediate incapacitation.

What's the answer? I suppose there isn't one. I ALWAYS carry an extra magazine to whatever gun I am carrying at the time, but that is more because of a possible failure, not because I'm going to perform any tactical

My edc holds 16+1. I always carry a spare magazine. Do I need a million rounds? Maybe, but probably not. Magazines are the most likely thing to cause a failure. Simple as that. Simple train of thought, two is one and one is none. I would honestly carry a back up pistol if my style of dress would allow me to get away with it. Some don't think its necessary, they're probably right. However I would like to think worst case scenario, and my children's lives are not something I'm willing to gamble with. Espically with a $20 magazine. Paranoid? Maybe. Good father? I'd like to think so. (Def not in the eyes of the left tho lol)

And yes, 45acp is better than 9mm!

9mm will kill someone just as dead as 45. Or 357 sig or 10mm or 454 casull etc. Someone said something about people thinking .45 is a magic bullet or something like that on here once...Please please dont take this thread down that road lol...pretty please?
I used the quote function wrong. Busch league lol...

Old 06-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #18

Liked 111 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quick poster about that...

Old 06-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #19

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

If I'm looking at two guns that are equal in all other ways except capacity and I don't have to sacrifice concealability for the one with more, I'll of course get it. But aside from that, it's not at all a factor for me.

I've always figured that as long as I've got at least six, I'm good for most civilian defensive situations, which is the purpose of my guns.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

IMO, the magazine is the weakest link in the setup.

I carry extra fuses in my car (just in case).
I have lanterns in my house (just in case).
I carry extra band-aids in my wallet (just in case).
I keep extra pens in my desk (just in case).

I carry an extra magazine (just in case).
(And it doesn't matter which pistol I'm carrying at that time.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This