Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Blamblamblamblamblamblamblamblamblam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #91
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
The original was about mag capacity and self defence not hunting you wouldn't be hunting here with a handgun as its illegal. When I say best all round I am talking about handgun rounds.
Check the folder and reread the first post. This is not a self-defense folder, nor does the OP specify a self-defense handgun.

As far as handgun hunting goes it is allowed here during general gun season. It's really very popular.

Now, concerning your last sentence, you're doing it again. All you have to do is add one word and the discussion ends. I won't agree, but I won't argue the point.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #92
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 380 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Check the folder and reread the first post. This is not a self-defense folder, nor does the OP specify a self-defense handgun.
Maybe its just me as hunting was not in the original post I assumed he was talking about self defense.
Quote:
I sorta take the 1911 as my basic standard. As long as it holds seven or eight rounds, I'm good. If I were really worried about it, I'd carry an extra magazine or two on my belt, but I don't. Seems a little excessive. Oh, there's probably more ammo in the car if I get caught away from home when the zombie war breaks out, but as a general rule I'm fine with seven rounds on my person.
Quote:
Now, concerning your last sentence, you're doing it again. All you have to do is add one word and the discussion ends. I won't agree, but I won't argue the point
Probably me again but I am not sure what you mean in the above post.

Last edited by manta; 06-23-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #93
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6561 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Here we go again.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #94

Liked 400 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

i carry 21 rounds 11 in my g19 and a spare 10 round mag and some times depending on weather ill carry two extra mags 31 rounds total.

my personal motto is: "id rather be caught with it than without it"

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1029 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

As far as handgun hunting goes it is allowed here during general gun season. It's really very popular.
Doc,

I'm not sure what other people think about with respect to handguns, but I think about handguns as defense oriented tools that are or should be backups to a rifle, carbine, or shotgun of some kind.

For scenarios where you miss, you and the target are moving, multiple shots are required for a stop, and you may face an unknown number of assailants with unknown weapons, then capacity, weight, and speed of follow up shots start becoming important. That's why Glock's have all those extra bullets. If you don't need the extra bullets, you aren't compelled to use them. That said, I want as many bullets as will fit into a reasonably sized carry pistol. I consider Glock 17's and Glock 19's to be reasonably sized carry pistols.

While I seriously doubt there will ever be a shooting war on American soil, what will happen as PD budgets continue to shrink is that the fewer and fewer numbers of officers patrolling the streets, most especially in major cities like Houston, will cause criminals to attack with greater frequency and in greater numbers as response times and levels decline for lack of resources.

The economic crisis is real, it is coming to a town near you, and all of that bad stuff associated with too much spending will inevitably follow. We and our children will, unfortunately, live through the consequences of the decades of inexcusably bad fiscal policies.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #96
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Probably me again but I am not sure what you mean in the above post.
If you had qualified it with the word 'defense' there would be no argument. I would still disagree with that statement, but I wouldn't argue the point. When you say without qualification that the 9mm is the best all around handgun round I have to disagree. There are non-defensive uses for a handgun that the 9mm is not even close to adequate for. Hunting is one of them.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Doc,

I'm not sure what other people think about with respect to handguns, but I think about handguns as defense oriented tools that are or should be backups to a rifle, carbine, or shotgun of some kind.
When I consider a handgun for self-defense I consider it a compromise. I want something I can defend myself with, but I don't feel like lugging around a long gun all day. The handgun fits this need, even though it is largely inadequate in most of the calibers they are chambered for. With most handgun rounds you have a much better chance of scaring your attacker away than you do of injuring him/her to the point where they must stop their attack right this minute.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #98
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1029 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
If you had qualified it with the word 'defense' there would be no argument. I would still disagree with that statement, but I wouldn't argue the point. When you say without qualification that the 9mm is the best all around handgun round I have to disagree. There are non-defensive uses for a handgun that the 9mm is not even close to adequate for. Hunting is one of them.
I agree completely. 9MM is NOT the "best" handgun cartridge for anything, but it is adequate for self defense against humans, which is what I will primarily use a handgun cartridge for.

Critters are not a major threat in most areas, whereas people are potential threats wherever they are if any of them decide they want what you have.

Hunting is a perfectly legitimate use for a handgun and, yes, 9MM leaves a lot to be desired for bringing down big game animals. Since it was never designed for that purpose, I'd refrain from using it against animals if there were other, better options available and there are.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #99
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1726 Times on 958 Posts
Likes Given: 5263

I have rethunk my solution.
I will now carry 30rd mags of 9mm for my moles,
if 90 rounds don't take 'em out, then I will rethunkify once again!

mole.jpeg  

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
People Like This 
Old 06-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #100
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 380 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
There are non-defensive uses for a handgun that the 9mm is not even close to adequate for. Hunting is one of them
I would say that its no better or worse than .40 or .45 none were designed for hunting. If someone wants to go hunting buy a rifle.