Blamblamblamblamblamblamblamblamblam
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Blamblamblamblamblamblamblamblamblam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Blamblamblamblamblamblamblamblamblam

How important is magazine capacity in choosing a handgun, and why?

I sorta take the 1911 as my basic standard. As long as it holds seven or eight rounds, I'm good. If I were really worried about it, I'd carry an extra magazine or two on my belt, but I don't. Seems a little excessive. Oh, there's probably more ammo in the car if I get caught away from home when the zombie war breaks out, but as a general rule I'm fine with seven rounds on my person.

It's not that I've never had the option of carrying more ammo. I've had a couple of Hi-Powers, a Glock 23, and a Para Ordanance P-14, but never really took to them as a daily carry gun, which, as stated elsewhere, for the last 15 years or so has usually be a Springfield 1911 or a .40 Firestar.

It actually seemed weird that the Glock held so many rounds. I'd look at the filled magazine and think "what am I gonna DO with all these extra bullets".

So . . . how many bullets do you think you need, and WHY?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #2

Liked 1836 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

To me it is not really about how many I need. I often carry a gun with 5 or 6 rounds in it. To me it is about the left slowly taking away our rights. The original ban limited us to 10. Now NY is limiting to 7. Is 5 going to be the next number? Magazine limits are pointless. A practiced shooter can reload way too fast for someone to rush them. Unless someone is within a few feet of me I can even use a speedloader with a revolver within just a few seconds. And with magazines...don't even think about it. I have seen guys that can seat a mag before the empty hits the ground! And I am not talking about Stalone in The Expendables. Go watch and IDPA match. Some of the people there are incredible.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1965 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
How important is magazine capacity in choosing a handgun, and why?

I sorta take the 1911 as my basic standard. As long as it holds seven or eight rounds, I'm good. If I were really worried about it, I'd carry an extra magazine or two on my belt, but I don't. Seems a little excessive. Oh, there's probably more ammo in the car if I get caught away from home when the zombie war breaks out, but as a general rule I'm fine with seven rounds on my person.

It's not that I've never had the option of carrying more ammo. I've had a couple of Hi-Powers, a Glock 23, and a Para Ordanance P-14, but never really took to them as a daily carry gun, which, as stated elsewhere, for the last 15 years or so has usually be a Springfield 1911 or a .40 Firestar.

It actually seemed weird that the Glock held so many rounds. I'd look at the filled magazine and think "what am I gonna DO with all these extra bullets".

So . . . how many bullets do you think you need, and WHY?
There is NO WAY to know how many 'bullets' you may need.
I would rather have MANY left over than be ONE short!!!
But realistically speaking:
1. There is a rather low probability of you needing to fire your weapon as a civilian CC person.
2. It will depend on how well you wish to be prepared and in what environment you carry.
3. I tell those I instruct to carry as much gun and as many rounds as they can comfortably, and as many as gives them the confidence they need to feel safe.
Personally I carry a 6906 with a spare 15 rd mag most of the time. When I carry my SP101 I carry one extra speed strip.
To each his own!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 06-19-2013 at 01:25 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

Liked 1130 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

Guess it depends on the situation, Take 2 minutes and watch this its worth it

http://youtu.be/7F1nPSNnaBo

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 06-19-2013 at 01:41 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #5

Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I usually have one spare mag with me. I just switch over to carrying my SR1911 from my G35. I do miss have 31 rounds compared to 16, but I'm confident with both firearms.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
There is NO WAY to know how many 'bullets' you may need.
I would rather have MANY left over than be ONE short!!!
But realistically speaking:
1. There is a rather low probability of you needing to fire your weapon as a civilian CC person.
2. It will depend on how well you wish to be prepared and in what environment you carry.
3. I tell those I instruct to carry as much gun and as many rounds as they can comfortably, and as many as gives them the confidence they need to feel safe.
Personally I carry a 6906 with a spare 15 rd mag most of the time. When I carry my SP101 I carry one extra speed strip.
To each his own!

I don't disagree. And I do think it would be a better idea if I did carry at least one extra mag on my person, but I usually don't. I can see situations where I might take extra precautions. As you say, one never really knows how many rounds they will need, but I feel confident with eight shots of .45 or .40, partly because I feel pretty good about my ability to hit what I shoot at.
I don't even feel too unarmed if I have a knife in my pocket. (I know, I know, don't bring a . . . ). Now, if I don't have a gun OR a knife, then I start to feel sorta naked.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2871 Times on 1658 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

The people who want to limit the mag capacity have another plan in place.

Look at hunting. There are caps on the number of rounds a firearm can accommodate. This is to allow a "sporting chance" for the prey.

By limiting the magazine capacities of magazines used in self defense, the perpetrator is also given a "sporting chance" to serve the time (if convicted) and have the right to vote reinstated upon completion of the sentence.

Who are they going to vote for?????

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #8

Hmmm. I am against legislation to limit magazine capacity, but the purpose of this thread was not so much geared toward whether or not high cap mags are "needed", but rather how important this factor is in choosing a handgun, and why.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #9

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Without getting into six or a hundred round drum,it's the kill shot that counts,when I was a young shooter we practiced instinctive shooting,the sights were removed and we shot by pure instinct,it works with practice but you cant lose your cool in combat situations,every round is a kill shot.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8842 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Welllll.......

My two "every day carry" guns are either a S&W Mdl 36 Chief's Special, or a ParaOrdnance C 7/45. One is 5 shots, one 7 (+1 up the spout)

I would not feel comfortable with a one or two shot derringer. The model 36 was chosen due to weight/ size. I am no longer in the profession of going after bad people- if I use a gun, I plan to be using it to give me time to run.

Could I need more than 5 shots? Yep. Assuming that you you will miss (50%?) and that you will need at least a double tap, if I have more than one assailant, I'm coming up dry early. Keep a speed strip in pocket. That's 10 rounds.

Back in the day, I carried spare mags. Speed loader pouches. Browning Hi-Power with 13 round mags. But I was conciously dressed to conceal. And not wearing shorts and a T-shirt, on my way to Home Depot.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.