Black Talons - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Black Talons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
I saw some at a LGS for the first time since around 2000 or 2001. IIRC, it's the only product Winchester ever took off the shelves that wasn't defective or had poor sales figures. The owner bought a bunch of stuff in an estate sale and they were included. He was asking $60 or $70 a box. Does anyone know what market value is for 20 round boxes of .45ACP Black Talons?

Remember how dangerous and racist these bullets were? The funny thing is Winchester still sells the same thing(SXT) under a different name and they aren't black anymore.
Having worked in the operating room, I had heard the Black Talons were pulled because they were a concern with doctors treating people wounded with this type of bullet. The bullet is designed to open up and have hooks,(or talons, I guess) at intervals around the flattened bullet. A major concern to people working in the OR is blood borne disease like AIDS and Hepatitis. The Talons represent a finger stick hazard, puncturing gloves, when wounds are probed. I don't know that there was anything racist about the Black Talons, and don't know how Winchester got away with producing another bullet that was pretty much the same. Black Talons have a mystique now, and I am sure somebody will pay a lot to own some. I have one left I saved myself.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 11-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Sharp pointy edges on a JHP? You mean like these...

image-2895309202.jpg

image-2520459133.jpg

image-2770120582.jpg

image-3415137609.jpg

I'm pretty sure these aren't all winchester.

The goal of a JHP is to create an expanded wound channel and increase the chances of slicing through a vein or an artery. Bullet manufacturers aren't concerned with making it easy for the doctors to remove their bullets. Nor should they be IMO.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #33

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Look at all them perty flowers! (Those Barnes are WICKED also, I carry them in my .45.)

Old 11-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
Having worked in the operating room, I had heard the Black Talons were pulled because they were a concern with doctors treating people wounded with this type of bullet. The bullet is designed to open up and have hooks,(or talons, I guess) at intervals around the flattened bullet. A major concern to people working in the OR is blood borne disease like AIDS and Hepatitis. The Talons represent a finger stick hazard, puncturing gloves, when wounds are probed. I don't know that there was anything racist about the Black Talons, and don't know how Winchester got away with producing another bullet that was pretty much the same. Black Talons have a mystique now, and I am sure somebody will pay a lot to own some. I have one left I saved myself.
No, they were pulled because of a smear campaign by the pro-criminal left. Politicians, doctors and handrwringers united to decry the bullet as "too inhumane". Bunch of freaking idiots. The same class of morons who made frangible bullets illegal under the Hague Accords. "Oh, we don't want to actually KILL them, just shoot a few holes in them until they stop their bad behavior".

The SXT is the SAME BULLET w/o the evil black coating. Evil black bullets, evil black rifles, evil black people? Do you see a pattern in their pathological way of thinking?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 11-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #35

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

No, they were pulled because of a smear campaign by the pro-criminal left. Politicians, doctors and handrwringers united to decry the bullet as "too inhumane". Bunch of freaking idiots. The same class of morons who made frangible bullets illegal under the Hague Accords. "Oh, we don't want to actually KILL them, just shoot a few holes in them until they stop their bad behavior".

The SXT is the SAME BULLET w/o the evil black coating. Evil black bullets, evil black rifles, evil black people? Do you see a pattern in their pathological way of thinking?
I knew the SXT was the same bullet, but is it still coated with Lubalox, just not black Lubalox?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

And, yes, I am sick of calling "them" anti-gunners. Call them what they actually are PRO-CRIMINAL!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1915 Times on 1325 Posts
Likes Given: 977

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

I did not know frangible bullets are banned by The Hague. They didn't even exist then. Have they fallen nto the fragmentation category, retroactively? Are they proven to cause injuries less humane than the roundnoses?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #38
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8253 Times on 4766 Posts
Likes Given: 10668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I did not know frangible bullets are banned by The Hague. They didn't even exist then. Have they fallen nto the fragmentation category, retroactively? Are they proven to cause injuries less humane than the roundnoses?
Expanding and frangible bullets are illegal for combat use under the Hague conventions. Of course, as I understand it, these rules only apply to organized standing armies. Terrorists and rebels can use whatever they want.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #39

Liked 2178 Times on 1287 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
The Dum Dum arsenal in India had loaded some rounds with the open end of the jacketed bullet facing forward. British soldiers noted that the wounds were much more severe than the standard way if loading a "full patch" bullet.

That was when dum dum rounds, soft points, and hollow points got their start. The Hague convention addressed these rounds as cruel or causing undo suffering.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1915 Times on 1325 Posts
Likes Given: 977

Frangible ammo is relatively new and radically different from the expanding bullets banned by The Hague. As some of you may know, they are used primarily as training rounds in close quarters. They are often made non-toxic. (Before someone inhales to say Glaser, yes I know this niche product) Frangible ammo has no role in warfare. I am surprised to learn it's banned. I appreciate accurate info even more than accurate shooting.