Black Talons - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Black Talons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
well when they expanded, they looked like a flower. those "petals" were very sharp. i have seen what they looked like when shot into a very thick phone book. they looked like they could lots of damage to muscle, tissue and internal organs with ease.
I'm not saying they don't work Axxe,..I'm saying you can get ammo for less that accomplishes the same goal. Robo(or Delta),..I'd love to see some PD or FBI test numbers on the old ones vs. the current version(s). This is "Why" I have spent a few hundred dollars on Buying SD Ammo in 9MM & 38/357(and some in 45). For all the Gel Block Tests,..few test the actual Accuracy & Group spacing...Doesn't matter how Great the Bullet expands or "blossoms" in the wound channel If you can't hit the target!! Depending on Which 9 I'm carrying(90% of the time it's my LC9, the other 10% is my Smith 439, or if i'm wearing a "dress" suit jacket or sports coat, I'll carry the 569 in a shoulder rig(looks better under dress clothes then a larger gun like a "92" ).
I'm carrying a combination of 115, & 124Gr. Ball & about 4 different SD loads(The Hornady CD's, the Magtech's, and the Fiocchi's)...The Remington Golden Sabers are good ammo,..but they are Way overpriced for what they do. Yesterday @ the Gunshow I saw(and Bought 1 "bag") of Flat Nosed JSP 9MM with a dimple in the center of the bullet. expands only slightly....
One of the vendors had 250 "bricks" of GS Ammo in 38, 357, 9, and 45,..for $239...breaking down By box(10 boxes @ 25 rds. each) It would be about a $13 a box savings off retail for a single box($36)...still too expensive if you ask me! 0_o

Next range trip I will finish all the 9MM testing, including some rounds downrange from the Range's Rental UZI & MAC-10...

Forgive me,..i'm now off my soapbox...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 11-10-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22239 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I'm not saying they don't work Axxe,..I'm saying you can get ammo for less that accomplishes the same goal. Robo(or Delta),..I'd love to see some test numbers on the old ones vs. the current version(s). This is "Why" I have spent a few hundred dollars on Buying SD Ammo in 9MM & 38/357(and some in 45). For all the Gel Block Tests,..few test the actual Accuracy & Group spacing...Doesn't matter how Great the Bullet expands or "blossoms" in the wound channel If you can't hit the target!!
i fully agree. and it was proven that the Black Talons were not anymore effective than most of the other JHP offerings available.

they just ended up renaming them their SXT line and then changed them to the Ranger T series. they made some minor changes when they renamed them both times, but were basically the same design.

and those that were shown, IMO are not worth $60-70 per box. not even as a collectable.

i am a big proponent of reliablity in a firearm. it's accuracy and expansion are secondary to me.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #23
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
i fully agree. and it was proven that the Black Talons were not anymore effective than most of the other JHP offerings available. they just ended up renaming them their SXT line and then changed them to the Ranger T series. they made some minor changes when they renamed them both times, but were basically the same design. and those that were shown, IMO are not worth $60-70 per box. not even as a collectable. i am a big proponent of reliablity in a firearm. it's accuracy and expansion are secondary to me.
Cool. Folks who don't shoot a lot(and that includes some LE's or aren't "gun" guys) get caught up in the HYPE sometimes. I know that not "Most of us" here,..,but when I run into some guy who's older then dirt and tells me he did 3 tours in Nam and that anything other then a 45 "aint worth shyt" but can't tell me what his MOS was or what Unit,..Hey I have Great respect for the 1911 and that whole Jeff Cooper Crowd(I only have like 3 books of his,..Plus Plenty from Mas Ayoob and others) But we're out of the "it was good enough for my Daddy in the Korean" mindset....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Cool. Folks who don't shoot a lot(and that includes some LE's or aren't "gun" guys) get caught up in the HYPE sometimes. I know that not "Most of us" here,..,but when I run into some guy who's older then dirt and tells me he did 3 tours in Nam and that anything other then a 45 "aint worth shyt" but can't tell me what his MOS was or what Unit,..Hey I have Great respect for the 1911 and that whole Jeff Cooper Crowd(I only have like 3 books of his,..Plus Plenty from Mas Ayoob and others) But we're out of the "it was good enough for my Daddy in the Korean" mindset....
i love the 1911 and the 45acp, and i own three myself, but it's not the be all and end all gun and caliber. yes, it's a great round and great platform, and i trust mine with my life and my loved ones, but i also have other pistols in other calibers, and i trust them just as much.

i put my confidence in myself and my equipment an not a particular caliber or platform. i shoot on a regualr basis, and keep my pistols in a well maintained condition. i use ammo that will function reliabily and for me, its accuracy and expansion ae of a secondary concern. how well a particular bullet expands or how accurate it is, is irrelevent if it doesn't go bang when you pull the trigger!
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

It was a lot of hype. We've kept the few boxes we had more as a novelty. They shot great through dads 1911. They were decent JHPs back then and they cycled better than some of the other stuff he had so that's what he used until they were outlawed.

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-15-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
It was a lot of hype. We've kept the few boxes we had more as a novelty. They shot great through dads 1911.
i have shot them in 9mm and 40. they fed great in the pistols i used them in. but i don't see them being anything better than most of the other name brand SD ammo available. improvements in JHP bullets has come a long way in the last ten years.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
i have shot them in 9mm and 40. they fed great in the pistols i used them in. but i don't see them being anything better than most of the other name brand SD ammo available. improvements in JHP bullets has come a long way in the last ten years.
Yeah I wouldn't use them now unless I just didn't have anything better. We figured they'd be collectors items eventually. That's why we saved the boxes.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #28

Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

http://www.thegunzone.com/black-talon.html My favorite Black Talon history.
Don't recall ever owning them, I was a Hydra-Shok or Cor-Bon guy. But that was back before I knew the words handgun and stopping power didn't belong in the same sentence.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9080 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I have a couple of boxes in 40 S&W. Never shot them though. I keep them more as a novelty/collector item.

They also made Black Talon rifle ammo which was different, but still has the black coating and shot pretty flat compared to other ammo I was shooting at the time. I don't have any of the rifle ammo though.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 354 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Here is a interesting video on Black Talons