Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Biometric gun safes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a safe, and it's right where a gun safe should be. Whether that's where my PD firearms are is another question entirely. I concur with Woodsy from the standpoint of education and familiarization of the young'uns. My siblings and I had access to handguns, shotguns and rifles from conception, yet never accidentally shot anyone or used one to commit a crime. Firearms were a means to put food on the table, whether it was a duck, a deer, or a cow. We knew what they were capable of because we were expected to know how to employ them. Not now being a hunter, boxing up my guns for someone to steal makes no sense for me. I like the idea of a bunch of dickweeds spending hours cutting open an empty safe.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 10-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

While my wife was pregnant, I asked for a bedside gun safe for Christmas. Our boy is 18 mos. old now, and he's tall enough to operate the doorknobs, which means that without close supervision he can get into anything.

I can't remember the brand name of the safe, but it has an electronic lock with a four-key combination. It also can be opened with the key (which is what I use). In addition, there is a pair of contacts on the outside of the box; if the batteries die, you can put a 9-volt battery to those contacts and operate the lock. The other feature I really like is that the door is spring-loaded so it can drop down fast when you open it. If you want to open it quietly, though, you'd better hold the door while you activate the lock.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #13

A safe like what is described above MY BE required by state and/or local laws. With grand kids that small I would think just keeping them out of reach, top shelf of a closet, would surfice until the get to be bigger. then either lock em up or teach em.

Lock up the guns that is.

This little girl was 4:
GREAT read!!!!

either way it is never too early to introduce them, maybe just around and hearing the report, that is how you train a bird dog. early and around the sound to keep them from getting gun shy.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #14

I don't know if you have found the safe you are looking for, but I recently bought a biometric fingerprint safe on ebay for about $100. it is spring loaded and works great. I think it is listed under 'Biometric Fingerprint Gun Pistol Safe keyless new NIB' it is wonderful because it can only read your fingerprint and also if the power goes out or in the event of an EMP, you can still open it using a hidden lock on the safe. Its pretty small though, but I only needed it to store my handguns in. It is also padded inside, but I removed the padding pretty easily to fit more in there. Hope this helps!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:47 AM   #15

I agree entirely, if old enough they should learn bout 'em. But if too young, Look into somethng simpler. I've been thinking myself about a magnetic system. I can't for the life of me recall the name of them, but it's a magnet that's strong enough to hold the gun under a table or anything of the such, yet, it's not too strong to remove the gun with a simple grab. This is the system I will be aquiring, but just haven't done it yet. With my personal preference, I will be fastening it to the backside of my nightstand. I have two little ones in the house that often come upstairs to wake my wife and I. So I have to depend on myself to get up as soon as they start in the room because it's just laying on the nightstand when I go to bed right now. Plus for my HD shotty, I'll be getting a similar product that's for longguns. It is going to be placed on the back of my headboard. Both well hidden from little fingers and BGs, yet still very quickly accessable. Hope this helps.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:51 AM   #16

www.fastholster.com/