Biometric gun safes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Biometric gun safes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Biometric gun safes

iam new , and havent purchased a gun yet...take my ccw class next weekend. my wife and my big concern is keeping my small grandkids safe from my gun.i have been looking on the internet for biometric gun safes.is this a good solution for me ? what do i look for ? will i be able to access my gun quickly and easily if i need to ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #2

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

If this is your first gun you are wiser than most to consider the safe before the gun if small children are present. The range and expense of gun boxes are limitless. I've personally never owned any of the electronic lock boxes. I don't like the possibility of my power being cut or batteries failing at the moment I need my gun. I use a steel box w/built in holster that mounts to my bed frame, has a drop open door, and a 5 button "push" combination, all mechanical, no electronics to fail.

If you on a budget Wal Mart sells small fire boxes w/similar mechanical push button combo's for about 60.00.

If you want to spend several hundred, the wall mounted bio boxes look very James Bond! I will state that if you don't TRAIN to quickly open any manual combination, you WONT get it open quickly under stress, so perhaps the BIO is your best bet.

Happy Shopping and Welcome to FTF.

TACK

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 10-23-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Do you mean that you don't have a firearm at all, and you are about to get a concealed carry permit?

If so, a revolver might be simpler to start out with than a semi-auto, magazine-fed pistol. They make some that are smaller & lighter for concealed carry, but smaller, lighter guns usually have a stouter recoil/kick.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Biometric safes are problem prone. The simpler handgun vaults are a better choice. The 4 finger combination will be sufficient to keep little fingers out of it. Since it is a multi finger combination, chances are they will not be able to open it. The combination you set can require more than one button to be simultaneously pressed, increasing the security. You can set the buttons to beep when pressed, this in addition to a stern warning should keep little ones out. Make sure that it is attached to a fixed item. The cable will allow you to wrap it around a bed frame, or similar fixed item. None of the handgun safes are super secure, because the sheetmetal construction could be compromised by a determined adult.

I feel secure in using mine, and have never had a problem. Just remember to change the batteries yearly. I mounted mine to the back of my nightstand, so that it is always within reach. I have attached a flashlight to the top, just in case.

Last edited by IXLR8; 10-23-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Stay away from biometric gun safes or vaults or any other biometric gun saftey gadget. They are not woth the money.
Within minutes, you will find video manual on how to fake fingerprints in the internet. And if you can find them, kids can find them quicker.
Prints are all over the house and on the vault itself, what makes it mor unsafe.

Get a good gun vault with a electronic number lock.
With a little bit of training, you can enter a six digit pin quick enough to use the gun in an emergency.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Stay away from biometric gun safes or vaults or any other biometric gun saftey gadget. They are not woth the money.
Within minutes, you will find video manual on how to fake fingerprints in the internet. And if you can find them, kids can find them quicker.
Prints are all over the house and on the vault itself, what makes it mor unsafe.

Get a good gun vault with a electronic number lock.
With a little bit of training, you can enter a six digit pin quick enough to use the gun in an emergency.
When I bought my gun safe, I interviewed a lot of salespeople. I then interviewed a lot of repair people. If you take the total number of malfunctions that owners have with their safes, a startling statistic emerges. Although there are generally not that many total problems, but 85% of the problems are with the electronic locks. Also being an electronic item, in the event of an EMP (read nuclear detonation), it may or probably will fry your electronics. That would be the worst possible time to have that happen, in my opinion...

A lot of people have little or no problem with an electronic lock, I just would not want to depend on it in a crisis situation. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid...

Old 10-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #7

First thing I would look into is Michigan's ownership responsibility laws, if they have any. Some cities/states REQUIRE a gun to be locked in a safe and away from little hands.

If your grand kids are around a lot, I would let your son or daughter know that you plan to have a gun in the house, and ask if you could teach the little ones about gun safety. ONLY way to keep children away from guns is to teach them, let them shoot with supervision and take the curiosity out of the equation. Take them ALL (son/daughter and grand kids) target shooting. Show them that gun ownership is a good thing and can be done responsibly. Then get in the habit of either locking the gun up at night when you are not carrying, OR unload it, separate the amo and the gun and practice getting to both and loading so you can when or if you need to.

If you are new to guns then start with a good wheel gun, no need to remember about safeties and what not. work your way into other semi's and such, and teach what you learn to the youngins.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #8

Likes Given: 3

From one Michigander to another, Welcome. X2 on what WoodysKJ said. That is what my Dad did with us.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #9

iam not sure a 1-1/2 and a 2-1/2 year old kid will be ready for a few more years to be taught much of anything that is this important....i really need to have it locked but easily accessible.... it seems to be the general opinion not to trust biometric safes... so i think i will start looking at other safes, i cant and wont carry that much so it will be more for home defense.... thanks for all the input

Old 10-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If they are that small, perhaps a smallish revolver for carry & training and an inexpensive pump-action shotgun for use at home. I doubt anybody that young would be able to work the action on the pump well enough; pump shotties are also a bit heavy for the under 5 crowd to handle and too long form any non-contortionist kids to actually shoot themselves with. Pump shotty = very safe, especially relative to a handgun, IMO. A pump 12 guage may also be loud & scary enough to in action to scare the kiddies away from any attraction to it. They are also not so expensive with some decent models priced under $300.

Good luck with it!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.