Biggest bore - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Biggest bore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I could never quite understand the need for them, but they were popular for a long time. I know that spit flame for 30 feet and scare the crap out of anyone standing in the lane next to you, that's for sure... Their drop breech lever action rifle was a sweet design though - I have to give them props on that.

JD

Agreed! I like the Encore even more. But with what they get for a 14" barrel, it's not too much more expensive getting a separate gun for each caliber...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-24-2008, 03:34 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 208 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
you better hit it right the first time though...and pray you have positive ignition...
Even if it was an old percussion gun, it has to beat the heck out of
whacking the kitty on the nose with a little stick.

http://tkcollier.wordpress.com/2007/07/06/tiger-attack-video-story/

Old 06-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Even if it was an old percussion gun, it has to beat the heck out of
whacking the kitty on the nose with a little stick.

http://tkcollier.wordpress.com/2007/07/06/tiger-attack-video-story/

After reading that story I wouldn't go into the bush without a BAR..

Old 06-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Holy crap! 12 feet in the air?!?!? Them's some serious "ups" kitty-kitty has there...

JD

Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Should make zoo keepers rethink the height of the enclosures for the kitty litter box.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #16

When I first saw this thread, I wondered whether it was the sort of stuff that anti-gun nutz would slobber over, or if it was instead the deliberate device of a troll, anti-gun or not. After reading it, and seeing that the OP still has only 1 post, I'm leaning toward BOTH. Kind of like Charlie Rangle sponsoring a bill to re-instate the draft, then going around saying that "they" (read: the opposition) were trying to re-instate the draft, and people would find out that hey!, someone WAS trying to do just that, nevermind that it was th goof himself. I smell something fishy. Like, maybe, bait? I may be wrong, but I'd suggest that we stop feeding the troll.

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered. ...A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason."

~ Thomas Paine, January, 1776, from "Common Sense"

Old 07-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #17

Liked 258 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Thompson Contender's come in a variety of barrel combinations. The largest I have ever seen fired, live and not on film, was chambered for .45-70 - which is a rifle round...

It looked a little something like this

This Guy makes custom T/C single shots in custom cartridges. Here are some pictures of his works, including a 375JDJ, which is his own wildcat...

JD
J.D. Jones lives down the road from my daughter's and I've had the pleasure of firing many of his creations, including the .45-70. Since then, there has been a .50-70, though I've never shot one. The .45-70 has got to be the hardest kicking handgun I've ever fired, though a .45 Colt deringer has been one of the "roughest" kicking guns I've ever fired, using my handloads.

For large bore diameters, though, the Webley .577/450 has got to be considered, with a nominal bore dia. of .600" or so.

This seems odd, until you consider the British designation. The .577 was the Army rifle cartridge at one time. This was later necked down to .45 caliber, hence the ".577/450" designation. The .577/450 case was shortened to revolver length, resulting in a case mouth of about .600", so was designated the ".577/450 Revolver."

Bob Wright

Old 07-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #18

Huh. That was something I hadn't heard Bob. Thanks for the history lesson.

So, the rifle cartridge being necked down for pistol ammo, similiar to what they did for the .44 mag wildcats? Necking down, like the .454 cartridge for pistol applications? Similiar to what they did when making the .44 Automag cartridge I would presume.

Interesting. There are some clever people out there. I would personally never see the need for a pistol that large, because the punishment I would take would be too great to get any pleasure out of shooting with it. Granted, I don't hunt animals, so that kind of scratches a whole category for me.

Zombies on the other hand, now THERE I could find an application for just about ANY firearm.

JD

Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #19

Well just opinion here but I think most of J.D. Jone's creations were kind of a "I'll show you !" experiment run amok .

Back in the 1970's and 80's hunters numbers were at their highest and as such many guys wanted to add more of a challenge to their Deer hunting and wished to use handguns .

The result was knee jerk reactions from even prohunters in many State Conservation Departments who considered them underpowered even at limited distances of 50 yards on a Whitetail so they passed rules to prevent it .

I recall seeing pictures of I believe Elmer Keith taking every know game animal on the planet with the 44 and 357 magnums , Elephant , Water Buffalo , even a huge Polar Bear back in the 50's and 60's all to prove the power of these rounds and application for game hunting that they submitted as proof of the handguns ability , yet many of the Departments still rejected the idea .

So J.D. Jones set about designing handguns of unheard of power levels just to prove to these narrow minded people that it could be done ethically and humanely . There was also a bolt action handgun called the XP made by Remington that fired rifle cartridges if I recall correctly .

The funniest thing I recall in this whole thing was a Television Character played by Red West running around with a T/C contender in a shoulder holster to fight off bad guys as a Sidekick to a Robert Conrad Character in the 80's flurry of Cop/Investigator dramas .

Last edited by BigO01; 07-12-2008 at 12:00 AM.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #20

It dawns on me that you weren't pointing to me with that "experiment" statement upon reflection - at least I would hope not. Disregard previous post.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 07-11-2008 at 11:13 PM.