Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Big Hands?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Big Hands?

I have been a student of the handgun for 3 years(but been shooting rifles my whole life)and no matter where I look to see how other people shoot,ie:you toob,websites(other than forums)etc,all I ever hear is "wrong","incorrect way to grip","outdated"etc etc etc.....Well,I have very wide palms,and whenever I hold a pistol the "correct"way,my support hand is a good 2" below the bottom of the grip and in a constant struggle to keep from "teacupping",and I more or less am in a teacup grip even though my support index finger is squeezed tight against the triggerguard.I have put my support index finger on the outside of the triggerguard to lift my support hand higher,but that didn't much either.What I have found out is that the only comfortable way to shoot and improve my accuracy is to cross my support thumb over my grip thumb and squeeze hard with my support hand thumb.This lets up on my trigger finger fatigue and simutaniously causes my support hand to rise to a better forward position because my thumb lifts my support hand automatically when I squeeze.The best part of this grip is that it works equally well with my automatics as well as my N frame revolver,and accuracy with both is better than I have ever had since I began with handguns.I wish more mainstream teachers were not so into "right"and "wrong"because every person is not the same.I have respect for the modern pistol grip,and it works better for most,but if one more person tells me how wrong I shoot i'm going to clearly say"well,maybe if I had girly-man hands like you than i'd use your technique"lol.But anyways,I know i'm not going to teach anyone anything,but I just wanted to share my trial and error and tell you what works for me.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Last edited by ninjatoth; 01-16-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #2

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Wanna know the best grip? For marksmanship and defense? The one that the shooter is most comfortable and accurate with.

Good on you for getting something to work for you. You need to have a talk with that deer in you avatar though, he's still violating your dog

Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have to agree with Trip. My stance and the way I hold a pistol is not what they teach now. I guess I am old school, I have tried the other stances and different ways to hold my pistol, I keep going back to what feels comfortable to me. I am always looking to improve and change my shooting position. With that being said, what works for you is all that counts. As long as your grip and stance is safe, go for it.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #4

Liked 748 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Not many can swing a golf club with the perfection of Tiger Woods. As long as the fundementals are understood, most have to adapt and customize a bit. A Beretta 92 and many SIG's have a little larger grip ...if you haven't tried them.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #5

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

If you can hit your target and feel comfortable while doing it its the correct grip.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:54 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I used to bowl when I was much younger, much healthier, and in much better shape. I learned very early from one of the true pros in the business. A guy named Dick Weber. He grew up only blocks from where I was born. The first bowling alley he owned in St. Louis was 5 minutes from my house. And that's where I learned to bowl. One of the things Mr. Weber taught me was that there is no "right" form or technique. It's about consistency, and to get that you have to be comfortable with it. Anyone who ever saw me bowl knows I have a very unorthodox style. I had numerous "experts" tell me I'd never be a good bowler using my technique. I went on to the state championships when I was 13. I was carrying a 210 average in a mens league at 16. At 18 I received a sponsorship offer to join the PBA tour. I turned it down because I just didn't see myself leading that kind of life.

The point is, when it comes to things like how to hold a gun, the only "right" way is what works for YOU. Granted, there are techniques that have been proven to work for many people. But they don't work for everyone. It's OK to listen to the experts. Give what they say a try. But in the end, do what feels right to you.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #7

Liked 2188 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 1783

Seriously, I have big hands, and I love the feel of the grip

of my DE44. Very comfortable, with a big solid beavertail.

Maybe you should try a couple calibers of Desert Eagle...

Old 01-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #8

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Those are my big hands making the HKUSP9C disappear. Thumbs forward, left wrist locked. Its awkward, feels funny, but its proper and proven.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #9

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed

Those are my big hands making the HKUSP9C disappear. Thumbs forward, left wrist locked. Its awkward, feels funny, but its proper and proven.
Is there a gun in there somewhere? Oh wait, I think I see something...

Man they just use the whole cow when you need work gloves don't they?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #10

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Is there a gun in there somewhere? Oh wait, I think I see something...

Man they just use the whole cow when you need work gloves don't they?
3x work gloves. Sometimes hard to get in a nitrichem clove. So I have to wear 2x and they hurt my hands they're so tight.

This is why I love the 2x4 feel of a G20.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?