Which is a better gun?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Which is a better gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which is a better gun?

Hi Im new to the forum and somewhat new to guns. I've shot only rifles before and want to purchase a handgun. My main concern is home security and self defence.

I also want an affordable gun. I've found 3 in my price range. The smith and wesson 9mm sigma, The issc M22, and the ruger lcp. Does anyone have any experience with any of these? If so could anyone give some advice on each of these pistols. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Also check Sig SP2022. It is comparable in price and an excellent gun (for the price) IMHO.

Better yet, Check CDNN and see if they still have LEO trade in S&W 5906 (all steel). I bought one for less than $300 and it feels worth twice as much. I love mine but being used YMMV.

Good luck!

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Last edited by Poink88; 08-22-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Your list includes three different calibers. The largest, 9mm is by far the best of the three. It will be easier to shoot, control and has “adequate lethality.”

The middle caliber, .380 auto is IMHO, a tad small for PD use in any form other than as a back-up gun. The LCP is not a fun gun to shoot because of it's light weight. My daughter has one and I do not enjoy shooting it!

The smallest, 22lr round is a fine "plinking" cartridge and an inexpensive way to have shooting fun but.............please don't select it for PD or HD use.

I'm guessing your budget is <$500. Have you thought about buying a used gun?

I picked up my 1989 Browning Hi-Power 9mm within your budget and it's now my carry gun.

I found a 1970 S&W model 19-3 6" .357 Rem Mag for under $400. This gun has become my favorite range gun and is ideal for HD.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #4

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Personally I wud'nt pay wholesale price for any of the 3 - JMHO
But I'd step up the Ruger choice to a SR9C

Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #5

I own a lcp. It is my conceal weapon. I have large hands and the gun is fairly small (that's why I got it....to conceal) so I bought the Pearce grip extension. It is a good gun. Like was mentioned above it is not plesent to shoot. Bu what do you expect with a pocket pistol? I shoot this gun on occasion, but never put more than a couple clips through it. It has a glass filled nylon frame which means, with every shot the concussion of firing the gun, the frame expands slightly. If you shoot it too much it begins to hurt. But again, it is a pocket pistol not a target gun. Meant to shoot in emergency not all the time.

I you have any questions let me know. I did so much research on this gun before I bought it I knew more than the guy at the shop.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3465 Times on 1986 Posts
Likes Given: 1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by submitu View Post
Hi Im new to the forum and somewhat new to guns. I've shot only rifles before and want to purchase a handgun. My main concern is home security and self defence.

I also want an affordable gun. I've found 3 in my price range. The smith and wesson 9mm sigma, The issc M22, and the ruger lcp. Does anyone have any experience with any of these? If so could anyone give some advice on each of these pistols. thanks
For Home defense or range, concealability is not in the question. So let's drop the LCP (it not practical at ranges longer than 15 yards because of the short sight radius, not the caliber).

Now let's drop the .22 for home defense, but keep it around for target practice. The Foot-pound-energy of the .22 is around the same as a good claw hammer. And the hammer is more practical around the house. With the longer sight radius, it could be used on targets set at ranges longer than 15 yards.

I guess that leaves the Sigma.

By the way, Welcome to the forum. We have an "Introductions" area that has a lot of info about us.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl

For Home defense or range, concealability is not in the question. So let's drop the LCP (it not practical at ranges longer than 15 yards because of the short sight radius, not the caliber).

Now let's drop the .22 for home defense, but keep it around for target practice. The Foot-pound-energy of the .22 is around the same as a good claw hammer. And the hammer is more practical around the house. With the longer sight radius, it could be used on targets set at ranges longer than 15 yards.

I guess that leaves the Sigma.

By the way, Welcome to the forum. We have an "Introductions" area that has a lot of info about us.
I have shot my lcp at 10-15 yards and it was suprizingly accurate. Groups were maybe and inch or two from target.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

No experience with those firearms here, but i do suggest you keep looking and do consider used firearms. A Ruger Pseries pistol would be affordable (have seen under $300) & reliable for non-carrying purposes. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_75/products_id/18161

Last edited by orangello; 08-22-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #9

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

If $500 is your price point look into a Glock 17 or 19 as well as Springfield XD or CZ. All offer 9mm at about that price. Hell you can get a decent entry level 1911 in .45 ACP for the money. All of the above would be suitable for PD and range use. As other have already stated the lcp and m22 are not all purpose guns. The S&W is a personal choice gun, some love them others can't deal with the heavy trigger pull. YMMV, important thing is that you take the time to hold and shoot any gun before making a decision.

Welcome aboard and good luck
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 08-23-2011 at 03:46 AM.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3465 Times on 1986 Posts
Likes Given: 1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt_tater View Post
I have shot my lcp at 10-15 yards and it was suprizingly accurate. Groups were maybe and inch or two from target.
From target or point of aim?

I hope you meant point of aim.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Newest Threads