A bet on the range - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A bet on the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I don't find some of these stories difficult to believe. I'm no trick shot master, but I have been shooting for many many years and seen some impressive shots. I've also done and witnessed other pretty amazing things. I have been a skier for all but the first 7 years of my life and when I say skier, I was a person who spent around 100 days per year on snow, coached a race team, instructed full time at one of the largest areas in New England, I have made a career out of it. I was fortunate enough to receive some of the best coaching in the US and have seen some very talented people do things that most people outside my small world would never believe. I see no reason for people on THIS forum to BS others, other sites yes, but I have a feeling that MOST members here have more honor and pride than the average bear.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 11-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #62

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
A K-22 fired from a Ransom Rest will not provide the accuracy needed to shoot under a 1/8 of an inch at 25 yards. You can have some luck and do a once in a life time shot. The facts are to make contant hits on a Zippo lighter at 25 yards will escape most casual pistoleers.
Thank you. That is all I was looking for.

I've made lucky shots, too, but two or three out of five isn't luck, that's why I called it out.

I've had fun, hope I didn't p*ss anyone off.

Blue1

Old 11-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #63
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

the reason they are called trick shots is because there is a trick to doing it, not because its particularly difficult or something only a rare few can do. draw a line on a target vertical and one horizontal and you will get a LOT more hits on the verticle line than the horizontal one. its much easier to hold the windage the same each time than elevation.

thats why you never see a trick shot artist shooting playing cards on the horizontal, you would be there all day.

yeah there is luck involved as i dont think he claimed it was his raw cool unwavering nerve that did it heh.

if he said he was hung upside with a blindfold then i might have some level of your "bsing me".

semi auto vs revolver $ for $ accuracy is about the same. its not the fact that the barrel is loose in a semi or not attached to the sights its whether it locks up in the same orientation each time. with revolvers there is a lot more that has to be spot on to make a revolver accurate. cylinder throats forcing cone and cylinder gap all have to be juuuuust right for a revolver to be accurate with all chambers. it all has to be exactly uniform or a shot here and there each full load will be off.

its easier to make an accurate semi auto than it is to make an accurate revolver. thats why the colt pythons are no longer made, cost too much to keep that level of precision going. you dont see dan wesson of smith and wesson fame making enough wheel guns to stay in business. you just cant produce a great revolver in enough quantity at a low enough cost to stay in business. dan wesson has flopped a few times trying and there is no doubt those were some damn fine accurate revolvers. but the name is now owned by CZ

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-25-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #64
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 8490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1 View Post
No offense intended, but I refuse to believe a 13-14 year old can put the edge of a bullet on the edge of a match head (not the bottom edge, though, or goodbye match!) from ten yards half the time with a free hand shot from a handgun.

This is getting out of hand. Someone back me up here.

Blue1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I'm with ya still. I believe it's possible, but unlikely, especially concerning the source... an online forum personality. If it's true, great, awesome, mad respect, but I don't believe anything I don't see with my own eyes. I'm not of the older generation, with me you're guilty until proven innocent and a liar until proven otherwise. I take nobodies word on anything unless there's logical backing and or physical proof. That said, it's not worth making a scene over. I'm not good at not calling things as I see them, but seems that many don't take to kindly to that and while in person I couldn't care less, online, if you want to stay around, you have to pet eos by either recycling the smoke or staying out of it. I'm learning to abstain, reluctantly. Haha
No offense taken. You were not there, and you tube had yet to be invented. My dad and I were there and we know what happened. I will keep my eyes open, and see if I can find strike anywheres the next time I go to PA or Ohio. If I can, I'll try it out with my daughter , and post the video either way. I am of the same mindset, prove to me that it happened, but I personally see no reason to doubt MOST of the peole on this forum. If I felt the need to doubt most of the members of this forum, I would never have joined it myself. There are other forums out there, and I don't belong to any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I'll have my 15 year old practice at it and see how he does. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he could do it.
It is a dificult shot, but not impossible. Just remember, It is a precise miss.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 11-26-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Viking Likes This 
Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 110

[QUOTE It is a precise miss.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - great line - I've already added it to my big book of excuses. I'm on 3rd volume.

PS: my money's on the kid - at that age they already know everything & from there it only a short walk to being able to DO anything. .

Last edited by Gonzilla; 11-27-2012 at 05:36 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #66
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 8490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
[QUOTE It is a precise miss.
Thanks - great line - I've already added it to my big book of excuses. I'm on 3rd volume.

PS: my money's on the kid - at that age they already know everything & from there it only a short walk to being able to DO anything. .[/QUOTE]

Yep, somehow it makes sense that if you don't think something is impossible, you tend to try harder to accomplish it. I'm definitly siding with Viking on this, he would know better than anyone else what his son is capable of.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #67

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I read about Ed McGivern years ago that when they tested his revolvers for accuracy they weren't all that accurate so it was his capabilities that made his shooting great. Do you suppose danf_fl may have his own capabilities? I used to shoot grouse in the neck at least 75% of the time with a Ruger MK I 6" barrel. Shot a number of digger squirrels up to 100 yards with a MK II 6" barrel over the years and I'm an old guy with not the most steady hand. Cig at 25 yards, why not?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #68
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Its going to be awhile before my son can start working on the lighting a match trick. Our range is shut down until after Christmas.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Mea Culpa if Im wrong but how can your range be closed if its on your own property ? Is this a California thing ?

Didn't know there was a Viking n a VikingDad

Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #70

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1 View Post
Hitting a cigarette at 25 yds is like hitting a beer can at 250 yds.

Blue1
So what's hitting a golf ball at 50 yds. or those 20 round 22 ammo boxes? Me and a friend do stuff like that all the time. Just because you can't don't mean the OP can't. Thosew are two totally different things..

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This