Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A bet on the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Can a person mail strike anywhere matches? Just wondering, because I've known many people to say they can't find them, but I can find them pretty easily here.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

In regards to the modified Ruger and Hammerli target pistols, aren't both of them fixed barrel pistols with a moving bolt? It would be interesting to compare them with a .22 of the 1911 design, preferably from a Ransom rest. I say this because I too am of the school that thinks a stationary barrel is more accurate.

As far as the revolver vs auto argument, here is my experience. I am much more accurate with a revolver of equal barrel length, but I believe it is due to the grips I have on my revolvers. They fit my hand better, so I shoot better.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #43
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7788 Times on 4498 Posts
Likes Given: 10036

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Can a person mail strike anywhere matches? Just wondering, because I've known many people to say they can't find them, but I can find them pretty easily here.
They have probably been outlawed in some states as too dangerous LOL! Fortunately the legislators here in CA haven't thought of that one yet. I can get them anywhere.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
In regards to the modified Ruger and Hammerli target pistols, aren't both of them fixed barrel pistols with a moving bolt? It would be interesting to compare them with a .22 of the 1911 design, preferably from a Ransom rest. I say this because I too am of the school that thinks a stationary barrel is more accurate.

As far as the revolver vs auto argument, here is my experience. I am much more accurate with a revolver of equal barrel length, but I believe it is due to the grips I have on my revolvers. They fit my hand better, so I shoot better.
A Ruger - MK I, II, III all have fixed barrels & rear sights. Only held a Hammerli once at Scottsdale Gun Club in AZ, don't recall much of the event other than being star struck w sticker shock.

Getting the Mods to agree to shoot off w be difficult enough but finding a ransom rest in addition just might be a bridge too far. However, I agree w eliminating the human variable as much as possible to prevent favorites from rising to the top.

Yet, I suppose favoritism is inevitable - we tend to shoot what we like and the better it shoots, the more we like it. .

I'm open to suggestion ? Well, other than all of us conducting our own test and debating the results Margaret Mead style.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Getting the Mods to agree to shoot off w be difficult enough but finding a ransom rest in addition just might be a bridge too far. However, I agree w eliminating the human variable as much as possible to prevent favorites from rising to the top.
I just think the rest is a mandatory item since we are sort of skirting around the accuracy of the firearm, and not how well a shooter can do with it. The only other way would be to line up people to shoot the different platforms and average the scores. Unfortunately, that still doesn't mean some fanboi wouldn't tank the scores on their least favorite platform to make their favorite look good. No, there has to be a rest involved. Anything else is too internet.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #46

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Gud question- Aint seen them in yrs but haven't really looked, think i'll check it out.

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #47

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I was told the ones we had around here- Ohio Blue Tips- were out of business from law suits. Something about a kid tried lighting one on his tooth like he saw an adult do, only the match burned the kids mouth and the parents sued..

Really sucks, because as a Boy Scout those were our staple matches. Dip the tip in melted parrifin wax to waterproof them, had many designs of waterproof containers. And back when I was in, butane lighters were not allowed since many ended up in shirt pockets and fell out when the scout was adding wood to the fire... boom!

Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Gud question- Aint seen them in yrs but haven't really looked, think i'll check it out.
Matches w white tips ? Haven't seen them in a very long time. Black market item?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #49

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla

Matches w white tips ? Haven't seen them in a very long time. Black market item?
More like a standard gas station item in these parts.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #50
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8052

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
I find Strike Anywhere matches fairly often. Look at Hardware stores and camping stores. I have a whole stash of Strike Anywhere matches. When I see them I buy 2-3 boxes. I can almost always find them at smaller hardware stores, not the big box home improvement stores. Some grocery stores carry them, too.

If you don't mind ordering online..........

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Strike-Anywhere-Matches/dp/B004ASRGX2

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=strike+anywhe re+matches&_sacat=0&_from=R40