A bet on the range - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A bet on the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969

Are you not the guy who was claiming in another thread to split cards? Why should everyone believe that you can do that, but Dan cannot hit a cigarette? If I have you confused with someone else, I apologize in advance.
No he was the one who called BS on it.

-Matt

Old 11-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #32

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I believe Danf_fl completley. These shots can happen. A little skill, and a little luck, and it could happen to anyone.

The forum skeptics like BeyondTheBox will always call BS, that's not an insult to them, they are just more skeptical than the average bear.

-Matt

Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #33

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I watched Downsouth's teenage daughter shoot a 12 gauge hull at maybe 15 yards with a Walther p22. While it was floating and bobbing in a pond.

And she did it regularly that range trip.

Call me a liar.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #34

Liked 1654 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

I also believe that the shot would be very good, but not unbelievable. What would be excellent would be seeing it repeated.

I have a young co-worker who has told the story of "his buddy" who can hit a Coke bottle at 100 yards with a .38 snubby every time. The really hard thing to believe about that story is that the kid has a "buddy".

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Vincine Likes This 
Old 11-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #35

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I watched Downsouth's teenage daughter shoot a 12 gauge hull at maybe 15 yards with a Walther p22. While it was floating and bobbing in a pond.

And she did it regularly that range trip.

Call me a liar.
..........liar..........

What?

You dared me.

I believe you though. Lmao.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 11-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Custom shops often number the cylinder chambers because there is often one or two which open up the group considerably. Not necessary on autos. I do agree w sight radius so we should try to keep barrel length similar.

I've been watching 22 bullseye at my club and what little I could find of coverage at-the Olympics. Everyone uses autos - modified Rugers at my club n Hammerli at Olympics. No revolvers were even represented. If the platform has an innate competitive advantage, why doesn't it dominate ?

This question was A hot topic way back when I was a kid along w the reliability question. We can solve this debate the old fashioned way - at the range. Pick a Mod, preferably one who owns and likes to shoot revolvers. I'll pick one as well - C3 w 1911 of his choice or maybe his BHP ? His call.

Let the Mods pick their own ammo - slow fire at 50' or w you prefer 25 yds ? We may have to start our own thread to avoid completely hi-jacking this one.

In any event, an old fashioned revolver vs auto shoot out should be interesting and generate some talking points - why we have a forum to bring these & other topics to light.

No sour grapes - if the Mods agree to shoot, the least we can do is to agree to live w the results - whatever they may be.
Shooting contests are a test of shooters, not firearms.

The contests you refer to that everyone uses semi-autos are somewhat rapid fire, correct? Switching targets and quick target acquisition? I would concede that the double-action trigger pull would put a revolver at a disadvantage. Shooting when there is time to cock a revolver and shoot single-action (as the semi-autos operate) would let the revolvers innate accuracy advantages come through.

Blue1

Old 11-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

to Dan: someone used the liar word here, which is a harsh word, I never called you a liar (and I know you never accused me of that), I just know sometimes people embellish stories a little; we're cool, right?

Didn't mean to come off as rude or trollish.

I'm enjoying the revolver vs. semi-auto debate (I own both) and if someone can show me I'm wrong, I'd appreciate being educated.

Blue 1

Old 11-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #38
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

I never said that luck was not part of it.

There are targets that have been posted in the FTF that have the center shot out. I do not know what distances.

Shooting is a discipline. Some are satisfied with a group of 4" at 25 yards from their firearms that were designed as "combat" pistols. Some are satisfied with a group of 12" at 25 yards.

Different firearms will give different results. A "combat" firearm is not expected to have the accuracy of a "target" firearm. Most firearms discussed, owned, wanted, or sold in this forum were designed as originally as "combat" (1911, Glock, CZ as examples).

Skill levels are different for people. Some mods are inexperienced tyros at shooting when compared to others (no slam intended, they all are doing a great job here). A beginner will be happy just to hit the target. Some of us are happy to hit within the 7 ring with a couple of bulls-eye's. Others have a bad day if one shot is in the nine ring while the rest are bull's.

Believe it or not. That is your choice. Your opinion is probably based on your experience at the range with your firearm with your accepted accuracy.

Blue1, no apology needed. We're cool. For info, every time I go to the range, I put some clay pigeons out at 100 yards. While I do not hit one with every shot, I have busted quite a few. And most of the time it is done after walking the rounds in to the clay pigeon.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #39
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11547

After watching an episode of Impossible Shots a couple of years ago where one of the regulars was shooting playing cards in half with a 1911 my two sons decided to try it out. First shot my youngest son hit the card but only cut it partway in half, he had it the next shot though. Within a few shots both of them were doing it consistently. I forget the range they were shooting at, but I believe it was 25 yards. Oh, did I mention they were shooting .22LR instead of .45 ACP? They were surprised at how easy it is.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #40
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1780 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 9875

Great shot Dan. That one requires both skill and luck.

When I was in my early teens, a neighbor of mine taught me how to light a strike anywhere match with a bullet. We started out with my dad's old Marlin bolt action .22 rifle (not sure of the model, I would have to ask the old man) at 10 yards, using .22 shorts. Dad and I stated practicing the same shot with his 1911, and after a month of trying (hit too low, goodbye match, too high, clean miss), we got to where we could do it to 2 to 3 matches out of every 5. Sadly, I can no longer find strike anywheres anymore. That is one trick shot that I wish I could pass on to my daughter. She is already good enough to drive a nail with my grandfather's Winchester model 67. I think we'll try the cigarette trick during the next range session. If we do, I'll post a range roport for all to enjoy.

Once again, Great shot!

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.