Best way to sell/trade a handgun? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Best way to sell/trade a handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I read your other post, so I won't recommend a revolver.

I would recommend renting or borrowing several guns for her to try. For one thing, the slide on a "broken-in" gun might be a little easier to manipulate. Recoil springs do soften (a little). And slide rails do smooth out (a little). So a gun with some rounds through it might work better for her. Plus, you might find one she can manipulate whether it's new or not.

of the technique others have mentioned. The lady in the video is pretty small.

Regarding the .22, I'd hang onto it if possible. A .22 is a good thing to have in your collection. It makes for cheap practice. You can send it back to Taurus to clear up the malfunction problems.

If you do sell it, you'll lose money trading or selling through a dealer. Most states don't have registration, so legal liability for selling a gun to an individual probably isn't an issue. But it's also understandable that you might not want to sell a gun to a stranger out of a personal sense of responsibility. You might want to look at the Buy/Sell/Trade forum on this site, or find a firearms forum that is specific to your area. Once you "get to know" people on any forum, you might not have the same qualms about selling to them.

Good luck, and be sure to post a range report about your wife's new gun!

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Good video. And generally good advice. But I notice she's using a full size 1911, with lots of a big, fat frame, and lots of surface area to grab on to. When I see her repeat that demo with a Kahr CM9, I'll buy it.

Last edited by Paladin201; 02-06-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecasejr
This is my second post and it is another question.

I made the mistake of buying too soon for my wife. As I posted in another post, I bought my wife a Taurus PT22 .22LR for her carry gun. This was the only pistol she could load (pop up barrel) as she is not strong enough to pull the slide back to chamber the first round.... The PT22 has had many misfires using CCI Mini Mag Hallow Points, and the fact that I like center fire better than rimfire makes me want to get her a different carry pistol. Anyway, we bought hers and my pistol at Academy Sports and they do not take returns of any kind.

After further research, I see that Beretta makes a pop up type barrel in a .32 Cal. I like the fact that it is a centerfire, small size, and slightly stronger for her protection. The pistol is Beretta Tomcat .32

What is the best way to trade the Taurus PT22 in on the Beretta? Is it better to sell it outright? I would rather do everything through a dealer if possible so I will not have any liability issues. I am really not very knowledgeable on the best way to go about this.

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.
Arms list or gunbroker.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Before you decide to do whatever with the .22, I'd send it back to Taurus. Sounds like there is something that needs fixed regardless.

Unfortunately, you've been told pretty much the truth about the way things are. Trade ins just don't bring what one would expect for most guns. With the still strong market, you'd think otherwise, but it just isn't so. I've heard more than one horror story about someone buying a particular gun and having buyer's remorse, trading it in and taking a bath in the process. The best way to sell one is by private party or consignment. I offer to do that for people just because I hate to see someone lose so much for no good reason, at least IMHO. I'm in the process of doing just this right now for someone with a side by side 12 gauge.