Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Best way to sell/trade a handgun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/best-way-sell-trade-handgun-57079/)

cecasejr 02-05-2012 09:08 PM

Best way to sell/trade a handgun?

This is my second post and it is another question.

I made the mistake of buying too soon for my wife. As I posted in another post, I bought my wife a Taurus PT22 .22LR for her carry gun. This was the only pistol she could load (pop up barrel) as she is not strong enough to pull the slide back to chamber the first round.... The PT22 has had many misfires using CCI Mini Mag Hallow Points, and the fact that I like center fire better than rimfire makes me want to get her a different carry pistol. Anyway, we bought hers and my pistol at Academy Sports and they do not take returns of any kind.

After further research, I see that Beretta makes a pop up type barrel in a .32 Cal. I like the fact that it is a centerfire, small size, and slightly stronger for her protection. The pistol is Beretta Tomcat .32

What is the best way to trade the Taurus PT22 in on the Beretta? Is it better to sell it outright? I would rather do everything through a dealer if possible so I will not have any liability issues. I am really not very knowledgeable on the best way to go about this.

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.

dks7895 02-05-2012 09:30 PM

You won't get much on a trade, and you should disclose the misfires to any potential buyer. I would just keep it and send it back to Taurus to repair under warranty. The 32 is not much better than 22 for personal defense. If she can't operate an auto, maybe look at a 38 revolver like the Ruger LCR.

c3shooter 02-05-2012 09:58 PM

You can (a) return pistol to Taurus for service, (B) find a dealer that will take it in trade, (c) sell it yourself, or (D) have a dealer sell it on consignment for you.

If you sell to a dealer, expect 50% of retail value. In Tennessee, private sales are legal, but understand why you may want to avoid hassle.

Most people CAN learn to rack slide on pistol- it is not brute strength, but may require practice.

Would seriously suggest your wife look at something like a J framed S&W in .38 Special/ 357. A double action revolver is much simpler to use, fewer steps to getting one to fire in a hurry, etc.

Gatoragn 02-05-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 700455)
Would seriously suggest your wife look at something like a J framed S&W in .38 Special/ 357. A double action revolver is much simpler to use, fewer steps to getting one to fire in a hurry, etc.

My wife has small hands and fingers and can actually use both right & left trigger fingers to fire her J Frame. Y'all need to at least demo a J frame or a Ruger LCR. Either of these are great "purse" guns and both are very user friendly.

mritim 02-06-2012 01:24 AM

Check out what Kathy Jackson says on the subject of racking the slide. Nice articles on her site!

http://corneredcat.com/Rack_the_Slide/

Paladin201 02-06-2012 01:54 AM

Nice article, but Ms. Jackson makes some erroneous assumptions. Yes, proper technique matters and using the correct technique will make racking the slide of a gun easier, for anyone. But some women just don't have the strength. Saying any woman can rack any gun if they use the proper technique is like saying any woman can bench press 500 lbs if they do it the right way. Any mechanical system that requires lifting weight, or pulling against a spring load requires a certain amount of energy to overcome it, no matter what technique they use. If you've ever racked the slide on a Kahr CM9, you'll know what I'm talking about. Much of the CM9's relatively light recoil comes from a massive two stage recoil spring. I'm a 6 foot 250 lb guy and its hard for me to operate. My wife can't do it. Period. Even with Ms. Jackson's technique.

nccinstaller 02-06-2012 03:01 AM

I agree some pistols just have a very heavy slide pull some women and elderly people just will not be able to i feel a revolver is a great option for them

c3shooter 02-06-2012 03:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

elderly people
Careful, sonny- or I'll whack you with my walker! Attachment 38822

:D

trip286 02-06-2012 03:24 AM

I've actually got a lead on a springfield armory 1911 for a pretty good price, because the elderly gent that owns it just can't pull the slide. It was given to him by his son as a gift, and it was actually his son's suggestion that he sell it, and the price to sell it for.

I'm gonna try to catch up with the guy before I take the plunge at a gun store.

And c3, I'm sure your not that geezerly. :) Wait, was that you I saw riding 30 miles with the left blinker on?

hiwall 02-06-2012 01:39 PM

c3 has the easiest and most cash wise answer with "have a dealer sell it on consignment for you".
I to would highly recommend a S&W j-frame or Ruger LCR. Most women I have taught have leaned toward revolvers.