Best Way to Carry Handgun in Kayak?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best Way to Carry Handgun in Kayak?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best Way to Carry Handgun in Kayak?

I do some canoing and kayaking in lakes and rivers, and often carry a handgun. Especially in rivers, there's always a fair chance of an unplanned swim. I usually carry a handgun buried in a zip lock bag or two, in the bottom of a waterproof river pack that is connected either to me or the boat. This generally keeps it safe, but is not very accessible. I also tend to bring an inexpensive gun that I wouldn't feel TOO bad about losing (like a Makarov - I have several Bulgarians I picked up when they were cheap). I'm planning another river trip in a few weeks, and am thinking that I'd like to find a better way to carry my gun. Anyone know of a waterproof holster or pouch that would work for this? I'm thinking of upgrading to a stainless Taurus Millenium Pro .40 for this purpose. The Safepacker looks interesting, though it doesn't look waterproof. Maybe with a stainless and polymer gun, I should just not worry about it getting wet and just dry it at the end of the day. Suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2007, 10:48 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I don't have an answer for you, but I know I'd feel very sad to lose my Bulgy Mak!

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

A kydex holster will hold up well to water. Lube a stainless pistol, with lithium grease and you should be fine.Electro nickel plating may be something to look at as well. It does very good against water.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:55 AM   #4

I guess it depends on how accessable you need it. Rolled up in a SeaLine baja bag should keep it plenty waterproof and it would float if tossed overboard. If you want to have quick access to it while paddling (there's a new Olympic sport! Canoe shooting.) I'd pick up a used compact Glock or similar polymer frame handgun with good coatings and just make sure you lube it plenty.

The Makarovs rust so darn quick I avoid taking mine anywhere other than to the range.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #5

Put it in a ZipLock bag!

GLOCK 19 G19 NS 3RD GEN
:)

Old 06-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #6

Default hmmmmm

the idea of my weapon not readily accessible and stuffed into a zip lock back is frightening to me. i know that there are options available in regards to water proof carrying, or at least water resistant. i know that military pilots have certain options that allow for water resistance due to the off chance that they may eject into water. but the lubing and kydex is a good idea, personally i would rather have the weapon accessible then not. also, in such cases, look at what you carry, and possibly consider carrying something different, such as a polymer framed weapon. less metal. take a look at the torture tests on the weapons, by far i find that XD exceeds them all, i wouldnt question the ability of the weapon to be fired coming directly out of the water.