Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best way to buy a gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

I have purchased several guns over the years and I feel like I did fairly well in each transaction. It's time to buy a new handgun and I was looking in stores and online. I have no experience with gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com and the online auctions. Are they worth it or should I stick with the LGS or private sales?

I have bought from a gun show, LGS, cabella's, Dicks sporting, and private sale in the past.

Last edited by LandMonster; 07-21-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I buy guns online frequently. Gun Broker, Guns America, Guns International, etc - you name it I've probably purchased a firearm from their website. I look for positive feedback from private sellers, a return period or inspection period, and pay with a cashiers check or money order. Don't be afraid to haggle a bit with private sellers.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I like to support the local guys and I don't buy firearms without handling them first. I'll check online sites for going market value of used and add for FFL/shipping and go shopping at my several LGSs. For new guns I check what MSRP is and shop for the lowest price under that number.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #4

Liked 1977 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 424

The value of buying them online can depend a lot on the dealers in your area and their willingness to accept and transfer the guns for you. What fees they charge can eat up any savings, and their distance and hours of operation can eat up any convenience.

So, you need to ask around the local shops, and do some homework there as well.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #5

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

It's been my experience that sometimes you can take online prices and show proof to you're lgs and occasionally get a lower price than originally shown.This will depend on the lgs availability of the product and how long they've had it for.Worst case scenario is they tell you no.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #6

Liked 276 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I prefer to shop locally or a FTF sale. But I have bought a few guns online. A couple of milsurps, and a shotgun online. Had no problems. A pawn shop down the road from where I work will do the FFL for $20, so it is worth it to shop around sometimes.

As posted above, I have used internet prices to get a discount. I paid more for the gun at the LGS than I could have gotten it online, but I like to shop locally, and handle a gun before buying.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #7

I bought an ar lower online and there is a good lgs not too far who did the ffl for $30. Other shops wanted $75 and up! If they rape and pillage over a simple ffl what do you think they do for guns and ammo?

I have been looking on Armslist and there seems to be some deals if you are willing to drive an hour.

If anything, it sets a floor for the market for a particular gun.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #8

I would always prefer to shop locally, but I went into a LGS recently while at their range and inquired as to a trade. My Sig 1911 for a Dan Wesson 1911. They offered me $300 on my pistol even though I saw one in their case priced at $775. When I gave them the gun for a looking over by the boss they sneakily pulled the one in the case out before giving me their offer. No deal on the Dan Wesson. The whole thing did not sit well with me. Combined with a general "what do you want" attitude at a lot of LGSs I have no loyalty here locally.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #9

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

I've done Gunbroker a couple times.

IME, buying new was best, directly from

a LGS. I've never been burned by Gunbroker

materially,(DON'T TRUST AUTOBID) but in the

instances where I've used them, I've been very

nervous about things not working out well.

So, in the peace of mind category, I feel that

being able to physically handle what you are

purchasing, and given the value of guns remains

high, NIBs always seem to work best for me.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Gunbroker is OK, gunsamerica you will pay too much most of the time..

Also look at Buds Gun Shop. They have decent prices and customer service is good.

Most important for me is to always try to spend my money locally before I look to the web. The more money we spend in our local economies the better. The web is an alluring option but I always check local first. I have found when I have cultivated a good relationship with a local shop I can often get them to order me something and it be at a great deal.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This