best thing to use to clean handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > best thing to use to clean handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default best thing to use to clean handgun

Im a newbie and just got a Smith and Wesson .40 handgun. Whats the best things to use to clean it? In the stores like Wal-Mart I see Rem Oil alot but I would think that would be used just to oil and lubricate my pistol rather than clean it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use Ballistol. Generally you cannot find it in local stores so you'll have to buy it from somewhere like Brownells or Ballistol's website. In my opinion it is the cream of the crop when it comes to cleaning and maintaining a firearm.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownspitbull View Post
Im a newbie and just got a Smith and Wesson .40 handgun. Whats the best things to use to clean it? In the stores like Wal-Mart I see Rem Oil alot but I would think that would be used just to oil and lubricate my pistol rather than clean it.
Here is a link: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f102/gun-cleaning-input-48564/

When I copied the link there were 707 opinions on how to clean guns.....enjoy....

Old 10-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Hoppe's No.9 solvent is popular, does a decent job and is readily available pretty much everywhere. Also, I have used, and like for that fact, Gunzilla. I use it at work, and it does a great job.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 258 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I like RemOil as a general purpose cleaner/lubricator. It's my primary cleaning fluid when I return home from the range. But do use something a little more slippery on your rails.

I've got some stuff called "Slip 2000" that's outstanding for rails. Probably costs more than necessary, probably could easily be replaced by 90% cheaper motor oil...but what the heck, that little $12 bottle will last me a few years.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:00 AM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I like Hoppes #9 also, for the bore & Sweet 7.2 is also good for bore cleaning. However, I wouldn't recommend them if your gun has a nickle finish. The amonia can attack the copper sub base under the nickle & cause it to flake off.

For the rest of it, I like M-Pro-7 as it does a good job without damage to grips, etc. I follow that up with a non-chlorinated brake cleaner spray from the auto store. The strong spray can dislodge crud down in the nooks & crannies where you can't get with a brush, or even a pipe cleaner. On my pistols, I stick the nozzle in the firing pin hole & in the extractor channel & spray until clear liquid is running out the back of the slide. Let 'em set for 10-15 minutes until dry, then lube. If you have compressed air, you can shorten the wait time.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:16 AM   #7

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

I would remove the firing pin before I sprayed anything in there.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #8

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 755

For general cleaning and lube, Breakfree or FP10 work very well. If I get some leading a brush down the bore does the trick. I've never had a handgun so dirty I needed anything as strong as Brake cleaner or sweets.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor View Post
I would remove the firing pin before I sprayed anything in there.
I do about every 500 rounds or so, as well as the extractor. The brake cleaner isn't oily & doesn't seem to leave a residue. I take them out to clean thoroughly because I realize the spray won't get it all, but it does minimize the collection.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default You heard the man!

Like my man said, Ballistol!! is all you need. This stuff cleans, protects, lubes, and preserve all in one!! Not too many products i know that can do all that If i couldnt get any, maybe Hoppes#9 would be next. Trust me my friend, you wont be disappointed