Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   best thing to use to clean handgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/best-thing-use-clean-handgun-49791/)

Ownspitbull 10-13-2011 11:29 PM

best thing to use to clean handgun

Im a newbie and just got a Smith and Wesson .40 handgun. Whats the best things to use to clean it? In the stores like Wal-Mart I see Rem Oil alot but I would think that would be used just to oil and lubricate my pistol rather than clean it.

Firearms4ever 10-13-2011 11:31 PM

I use Ballistol. Generally you cannot find it in local stores so you'll have to buy it from somewhere like Brownells or Ballistol's website. In my opinion it is the cream of the crop when it comes to cleaning and maintaining a firearm.

EagleSix 10-13-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ownspitbull (Post 600836)
Im a newbie and just got a Smith and Wesson .40 handgun. Whats the best things to use to clean it? In the stores like Wal-Mart I see Rem Oil alot but I would think that would be used just to oil and lubricate my pistol rather than clean it.

Here is a link: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f102/gun-cleaning-input-48564/

When I copied the link there were 707 opinions on how to clean guns.....enjoy....

RecklessRegard 10-14-2011 12:16 AM

Hoppe's No.9 solvent is popular, does a decent job and is readily available pretty much everywhere. Also, I have used, and like for that fact, Gunzilla. I use it at work, and it does a great job.

sweeper22 10-14-2011 01:34 AM

I like RemOil as a general purpose cleaner/lubricator. It's my primary cleaning fluid when I return home from the range. But do use something a little more slippery on your rails.

I've got some stuff called "Slip 2000" that's outstanding for rails. Probably costs more than necessary, probably could easily be replaced by 90% cheaper motor oil...but what the heck, that little $12 bottle will last me a few years.

gollygee 10-14-2011 05:00 AM

I like Hoppes #9 also, for the bore & Sweet 7.2 is also good for bore cleaning. However, I wouldn't recommend them if your gun has a nickle finish. The amonia can attack the copper sub base under the nickle & cause it to flake off.

For the rest of it, I like M-Pro-7 as it does a good job without damage to grips, etc. I follow that up with a non-chlorinated brake cleaner spray from the auto store. The strong spray can dislodge crud down in the nooks & crannies where you can't get with a brush, or even a pipe cleaner. On my pistols, I stick the nozzle in the firing pin hole & in the extractor channel & spray until clear liquid is running out the back of the slide. Let 'em set for 10-15 minutes until dry, then lube. If you have compressed air, you can shorten the wait time.

Alpha1Victor 10-14-2011 05:16 AM

I would remove the firing pin before I sprayed anything in there.

jpattersonnh 10-14-2011 12:44 PM

For general cleaning and lube, Breakfree or FP10 work very well. If I get some leading a brush down the bore does the trick. I've never had a handgun so dirty I needed anything as strong as Brake cleaner or sweets.

gollygee 10-14-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor (Post 601083)
I would remove the firing pin before I sprayed anything in there.

I do about every 500 rounds or so, as well as the extractor. The brake cleaner isn't oily & doesn't seem to leave a residue. I take them out to clean thoroughly because I realize the spray won't get it all, but it does minimize the collection.

Glockpotion23 10-14-2011 11:47 PM

You heard the man!

Like my man said, Ballistol!! is all you need. This stuff cleans, protects, lubes, and preserve all in one!! Not too many products i know that can do all that:p If i couldnt get any, maybe Hoppes#9 would be next. Trust me my friend, you wont be disappointed:D