Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best Home Defense Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best Home Defense Ammo

Ok i have a 9mm Sig and am wondering what is the cheapest ammo i can safely fire through this gun for practice....and what is the best ammo i can buy for a sure fire Kill when a perp enters the house?

my noobie intro has not shown up yet but when it does i am sure you guys will find out i am here to educate myself because i dont know any where near what i would like to on firearms

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusselin View Post
Ok i have a 9mm Sig and am wondering what is the cheapest ammo i can safely fire through this gun for practice....and what is the best ammo i can buy for a sure fire Kill when a perp enters the house?

my noobie intro has not shown up yet but when it does i am sure you guys will find out i am here to educate myself because i dont know any where near what i would like to on firearms
There is no such thing as "a sure fire kill" and this phrase immediately makes me think of a mall ninja. If you ever have to use a handgun to defend your home your goal is to stop the threat - period.

For range ammo, any name brand will work just fine - go to Walmart and buy what's on the shelf. They generally carry Winchester White Box and Blazer Brass and either is OK.

For SD ammo, there are a zillion choices out there and you need to experiment as some guns are picky with some types of SD ammo. I've had good success using Gold Dots and this is what I keep in all of mine...

Old 10-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
There is no such thing as "a sure fire kill" and this phrase immediately makes me think of a mall ninja. If you ever have to use a handgun to defend your home your goal is to stop the threat - period.

For range ammo, any name brand will work just fine - go to Walmart and buy what's on the shelf. They generally carry Winchester White Box and Blazer Brass and either is OK.

For SD ammo, there are a zillion choices out there and you need to experiment as some guns are picky with some types of SD ammo. I've had good success using Gold Dots and this is what I keep in all of mine...
well i guess what i mean by sure fire kill is what will be most damageing what will cause the most internal damage is there a bullet that causes more damage than another?

it may seem sick and twisted to some but where i am from you dont pull a gun to injur...you pull a gun to kill

Old 10-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Shooting to "stop a threat" is legal in most jurisdictions when justified, overtly announcing your intention to "shoot to kill" can and will land you in jail.

If that is your only stated purpose, I suggest the plutonium tipped tactical projectiles. They're hard to find at Walmat but they're guaranteed...

Old 10-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ngib is right in that you shoot to "stop said threat from all further acts of aggression"-as soon as possible. Unfortunately that often results in the death of the aggressor. Having said that, any of the premium hollow point brands will suffice IF they work reliably in YOUR firearm. The only way to assure that is to shoot at least a few boxes of the defense ammo through your intended defensive firearm.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Ngib is right in that you shoot to "stop said threat from all further acts of aggression"-as soon as possible. Unfortunately that often results in the death of the aggressor. Having said that, any of the premium hollow point brands will suffice IF they work reliably in YOUR firearm. The only way to assure that is to shoot at least a few boxes of the defense ammo through your intended defensive firearm.
Word thanks stalking bear....where are you guys from? I have always been told here in texas to never pull your fire arm unless you intend to use it, and only use it if you intend to kill....is that not correct?

keep in mind my brothers (marine vets) and my father (Detective) are the ones who told me this

Last edited by Jusselin; 10-08-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Shooting to "stop a threat" is legal in most jurisdictions when justified, overtly announcing your intention to "shoot to kill" can and will land you in jail.

If that is your only stated purpose, I suggest the plutonium tipped tactical projectiles. They're hard to find at Walmat but they're guaranteed...
whats is with the rolled eyes

Old 10-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The thing is you never announce that you're going to kill somebody, you may have to use deadly force to SAVE you or loved 1s-not to kill somebody-see the difference in wording? You say I shot to SAVE my life-not I shot to kill him. That wording may mean a world of difference in the aftermath later or in court if you're unlucky enough to be prosecuted.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

When you point a gun at something you better be sure you intend on destroying it. Correct?

So following that you never 'shoot to kill' You do like bear and NGIB said and shoot to stop the threat. If by pulling your firearm you stop the threat then it's over. Hold him at bay till the authorities arrive then follow orders. By pulling your sidearm you are agreeing that your actions may cause you to take another's life weather you want to or not. By drawing you are saying I am willing to take you life and I understand the choice I made.

If you can't understand that then I don't think you need to carry.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The thing is you never announce that you're going to kill somebody, you may have to use deadly force to SAVE you or loved 1s-not to kill somebody-see the difference in wording? You say I shot to SAVE my life-not I shot to kill him. That wording may mean a world of difference in the aftermath later or in court if you're unlucky enough to be prosecuted.
i see what you mean , around here it is shoot to kill, don't need that fugger healing up and suing, or have his family suing you for paralyzing their seemingly innocent baby who'd never ever in a million years, break into someone's house and attempt to rob them.

you know what i mean