Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Best first handgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/best-first-handgun-84749/)

dverb92 02-21-2013 04:38 AM

Best first handgun
 
Hey guys just joined 5 min ago. I want to learn a good general knowledge of some handguns.
I'm look for the best possible .40 S&W. I'm not a "know it all" and always open to new information and advice.
So far I've narrowed it down to these guns:
cz p09 duty
Beretta p4x storm
And of coarse of coarse a glock 22 or open to a glock 20 sf 10mm
All info appreciated

gearhead396 02-21-2013 04:53 AM

First off welcome to the forum second of all glad you like the 40 I recently purchased my first 40 after much searching and decided on the ruger sr40c alot of people will probably tell you 40 is not a good hand gun to learn on though I don't see a problem with it I'm sure someone will give you a reason though. As for the other handguns you have narrowed it down to I have not **** enough to tell you the pros and the cons they are all solid weapons that's for sure though good luck!

lbwar15 02-21-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearhead396
First off welcome to the forum second of all glad you like the 40 I recently purchased my first 40 after much searching and decided on the ruger sr40c alot of people will probably tell you 40 is not a good hand gun to learn on though I don't see a problem with it I'm sure someone will give you a reason though. As for the other handguns you have narrowed it down to I have not **** enough to tell you the pros and the cons they are all solid weapons that's for sure though good luck!

People say the .40 isn't good to learn on bc the recoil is a bit snappy.

lbwar15 02-21-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dverb92
Hey guys just joined 5 min ago. I want to learn a good general knowledge of some handguns.
I'm look for the best possible .40 S&W. I'm not a "know it all" and always open to new information and advice.
So far I've narrowed it down to these guns:
cz p09 duty
Beretta p4x storm
And of coarse of coarse a glock 22 or open to a glock 20 sf 10mm
All info appreciated

Only you can make the choice on what is best for you. Those are all grate guns. The XD/XD(M) and Sig are my favorite manufacturers of poly guns. I would also throw S&W M&P in if you have not checked into them yet.

I for one don't care for the .40. I won't big bullets (.45), a lot of bullets (9mm) or over all powerful bullets (.357sig, 10mm). The .40 produces a lot of pressure for a not so impressive round.

If you go 10mm that will limit you to glock, EAA, or a 1911. That's about it.

95sniper 02-21-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15 (Post 1146738)

Only you can make the choice on what is best for you. Those are all grate guns. The XD/XD(M) and Sig are my favorite manufacturers of poly guns. I would also throw S&W M&P in if you have not checked into them yet.

I for one don't care for the .40. I won't big bullets (.45), a lot of bullets (9mm) or over all powerful bullets (.357sig, 10mm). The .40 produces a lot of pressure for a not so impressive round.

If you go 10mm that will limit you to glock, EAA, or a 1911. That's about it.

Also a 9mm is more controllable and ammo is (was) cheaper and common.

SigArmored 02-21-2013 09:33 AM

The best first hand gun you're going to get will be the one that fits you the best.It should point naturally ,and it should feel like an extension of you're arm.Go to you're lgs or a gunshow pick up everything you can take notes as to what you like and then go home and do the research.What works for some dose not work for others.The lighter the pistol the more felt recoil the heavier the pistol generally the more uncomfortable to carry.Single stacks are thin ,double stack not so much.It's all about you what you need and how you intend to use it.

Gatoragn 02-21-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95sniper (Post 1146743)
Also a 9mm is more controllable and ammo is (was) cheaper and common.

9mm is still less expensive than .40 cal. None is cheap right now.

danf_fl 02-21-2013 10:47 AM

If you are brand new to guns, do more research and attend a firearms safety class.

If you are currently working with long arms, then get to a handgun safety class.

I suggest that people look at revolvers (I know that they are not "cool") for their first handgun. Cheaper than semi-autos, but great to learn the basics on. After the basics are down pat, then look at semi-autos.

But training and safety should be at the top of the list over which brand.

JimRau 02-21-2013 12:27 PM

First center fire hand gun recombination!
4 inch barrel S&W K-frame 357 Mag.;)
You can learn 'basics' with the 38 sp and then go to the 357 Mag if you wish.

JonM 02-21-2013 12:38 PM

Best first handgun... ruger mk3. Its a gun you can keep for life and never get tired of how fun it is


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:00 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.