Best Competition & Personal Protection 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best Competition & Personal Protection 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best Competition & Personal Protection 1911

I'm looking for a 911 type gun (.45) that i can carry daily but I'm torn...

If you had a dream pistol... which make and model of gun would you purchase to cover the following

+ Beauty
+ Competition
+ Accuracy
+ Self Defense

Basically I want a gun I can carry for life....but I want to compete here and there too...

Sorry to ask but I'm torn been looking at so many types from Kimber, STI, Para etc...

Also, if you reply can you tell me why as well...instead of just listing a gun...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

hmmm... tough choice, I have a colt series 80 govt. and a tuarus pt1911, like them both. If I had to choose a 1911 and i can be any it would probroly be a nighthawk. Those things are fickin sweet! They are the exotic sports car of the handgun world. But there are lots of choices. Happy hunting

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

What makes a good competition handgun may not make a good self defense handgun (especially if you want to carry it).

Don't limit yourself to "1 gun do all" mind set. You will go crazy trying to figure out the best of all worlds.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
What makes a good competition handgun may not make a good self defense handgun (especially if you want to carry it).

Don't limit yourself to "1 gun do all" mind set. You will go crazy trying to figure out the best of all worlds.
What he said.

It also matters what kind of competition you want to do and at what level. If you're thinking about IDPA and competing mostly for fun, they are more oriented toward carry-type guns. If you're thinking about trying to win major USPSA open-gun championships, you'll want a specialized gun.

Don't get me wrong: there are "production" divisions in all kinds of competitions. You can shoot your carry gun (I do), have a great time (I do), and be competitive (I am...sometimes ).

Some of the things that improve a gun for competition make it more difficult to conceal and/or use for self-defense. Those may also — for you — diminish the aesthetic appeal of the gun. Some things that make a gun easier to carry make it less competitive.

So, prioritize and let us know more about what you want to do with it.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #5

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Every time I see these types of questions, one question pops into my mind. Step into a room and ask 'What's the best pizza?'
Then the debates begin between types, models, costs, and whether it goes with that shirt, as well as how easy it is to conceal and other important considerations.
It really depends on you and your physical build, hand size, experience and other such things.
And, as has already been noted, and to paraphrase, saying you want one gun to do it all? That's like saying you want to buy a Corvette so you can drag race on the weeknights and go mud bogging on the weekends.
Guns can and do get very specialized, and if you want a general, overall firearm better to compete in IDPA events, as they will be more geared toward a general carry sidearm.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOhioCCW View Post

If you had a dream pistol... which make and model of gun would you purchase to cover the following

+ Beauty
+ Competition
+ Accuracy
+ Self Defense

Basically I want a gun I can carry for life....but I want to compete here and there too...

Sorry to ask but I'm torn been looking at so many types from Kimber, STI, Para etc...

Also, if you reply can you tell me why as well...instead of just listing a gun...
+ Beauty : Looks are not important In a competition or self defense It has to work reliably. Pretty guns get beat up. Holster wear, banging against tables, mud and dirt it will get scratched. If involved in a self defense shooting it may be confiscated.

+ Competition : What kind of competition? Most guns designed for a specific type of competition. A real light trigger pull is not advised for a self defense gun. Sights on a competition gun may snag on clothing when drawing. Most competition gun have optics not suitable for conceal carry.

+ Accuracy : How accurate? 50 ft? Most self defense shootings happen at less the 10 ft.

+ Self Defense : Revolver or Semi Auto? When the SHTF you want a gun that you can handle, easy to conceal, reliable, with stopping power, and you can operate under duress.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Last edited by 007BondJamesBond007; 11-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #7

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I agree with 007, a beautiful carry gun will see wear marks. Reliability, accuracy, ease of concealment are at the top of the list. For a competition gun reliability, accuracy and speed are what is needed. Get one for each purpose and have the best of both worlds.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #8

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Well with the words "Dream Pistol" and 1011 it would LES BAER. That would cover the Beauty, Competition, Accuracy and Self defence.Just have to deside the model for your needs.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #9

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOhioCCW View Post

+ Beauty
+ Competition
+ Accuracy
+ Self Defense

You forgot ( I assume) DEPENDABILITY --Thats the formost thing to me-
That only comes with use of whatever gun you choose-
It may take a few
Just because it cost $200 or $2000 dont matter much - time & use is the only way to tell

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm pretty happy with my 1st series Kimber Compact Stainless.