Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best choice for concealed carry, for a south paw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Best choice for concealed carry, for a south paw

Hello to everyone, I am new to this forum, & I wanted to get some opinions for concealed/carry or home defense. Best choice for a semi-auto 45?? I am left handed, so it would need to be left-hand "friendly" but not neccessarily fully left-handed. I am leaning toward either a Glock 38 in .45 G.A.P. or Springfield XD .45 Auto. Price I'm looking for is under $1000. I have researched all major manufacturers & narrowed it down between these two, Just having a REAL hard time deciding so any input you could offer would be greatly appreciated,
Thank You!

Last edited by capnklump; 09-19-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Anonymity issues.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #2

I own a XD 45 and I really like it (after I converted it over to .460) but honestly it is a really great gun and very accurate. As for the 45 GAP cartridges I have seen a few in the gun stores around where I live but they are twice as expensive as the regular .45 acp bullets are. I haven't tried carrying it yet, not because of the size or weight, but because I can't find a holster I like. Let us know what you choose. I don't like glock because they don't fit my hand they feel to blocky other than that, I have seen other shooters more accurate with glock. But when it comes to opinion I'd say XD 45 over 45GAP cartridge pistols or over glocks imo.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would go with a Glock pistol or wasn't there a German pistol that ejected to the left? It was a 9 mm variant of the Mauser pistol? A P-38 I think? Just saw a photo of one and they do eject to the left. Something to think about.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

What fits your hands best is the best weapon for you to carry. A weapon that you are the most comfortable with. WE can all say "Well I carry a ________ it's great". and if that particular weapon does not fit you as well as me then all we have accomplished is getting you a very dangerous paperweight. I'm left handed and carry a few different weapons. All of them do well because they are all dependable weapons. But any of those might not be your cup of tea so they might not work as well for you. If you can find a range that rents handguns then you might be able to find something that is best for you.

Have you looked at weapons that have the ability to change the backs trap allowing for a more comfortable grip? What has you set on a 45? Both the ones you have "narrowed it down" to are fine weapons. My personal choice between the two (if I only had these two choices) I'd lean to the XD. But striker fired weapons in general are not something I prefer. I like a weapon with a hammer much better. If a poly frame was a must have then have you looked at weapons like the FNP? Ambi fire controls, you can change the back strap, and it works in both single and double action. If the poly frame is not a deal breaker what about Sig Sauer? They will live up to the "To hell and back reliability." If the striker is what you want have you looked at the S&W's? Weapons like the M&P have the ability to change back straps for best fit and there is no denying their legendary customer service.

I'm not trying to say you need any of these choices over your choices in your OP. Just showing options that might not have been looked at due to the rabid fan base of the two you mentioned. Any of the two you are looking at as well as the options I've mentioned are proven reliable weapons. But it should come down to what fits you best. None of us are going to be using your weapon.... You are. You owe it to yourself to get the best one for you.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #5

Default Thanks everybody!

I wanted to thank everyone for their knowledge and their help. I've made my decision, & just now got home with my purchase. I decided to go with the Springfield XD40 (Subcompact). Why this one you might ask? It felt good in my hand for starters. Definitley South paw friendly, durable, light, excellent choice for CC & home defense alike. At under $500 its hard to beat that price. Why did I go with .40 instead of .45? I'd really have to say I like both cartridges equally as much, but I favor the .40 more for the subcompact. Anyway thanks again everybody. I may have a hard time getting to sleep tonight, waiting for the range to open tomorrow so I can shoot it!! LOL!! Pics are below.

img_2992.jpg   img_2995.jpg   img_3002.jpg  

Old 09-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2646 Times on 1541 Posts
Likes Given: 1174

Nice! Now you know that you are on for a range report, don't you?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

great! What holster are you going with?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:25 AM   #8

Kahr cw 45

Old 09-14-2010, 02:40 AM   #9

@ Gojubrian: Have not found or decided on what holster yet but it will definitely have to be a left handed one, any suggestions?? @ Danf: I have not done a range report for this forum before, can you enlighten me?? What do I need to do?

Old 09-14-2010, 02:43 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Crossbreed supertuck makes great holsters.