Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > best ccw for pocket carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 03:46 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

for pocket carry...i carry my CZ-50 .32cal. its not the lightest lil gun but holds 8rds+1 and is very reliable & draws quick from my loose fit camo pants back pocket(i hide my lil pistol there so incase & hope it never happens...a scumbag comes up to me with a gun or knife,im going to tell him''please dont hurt me..i have 320 dollars in my wallet,its yours...i reach into my back pocket for my trusted old CZ50 ''looking @ ground..firm grip on my cz,take decocker off,look back @ scumbag,let my eyes look around him...as if someone was approching,when his attention is off me...draw,bang,bang,bang''hope i never have to use this lil drill i do over and over with my cz..but i have got pretty efficient at it...i have practice some fast draws with this lil pistol...and can get a pretty good target acquisition (3 12oz sundrop cans @ 7yrds in under 2sec. 3shots 3ft. apart)i know its not super fast or a world record...but ive been practicing and will keep on keeping on...of course like others have stated...depending on the weather...bigger will be better

Old 01-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #22

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Walther PPS 9mm

Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I carry a SigSauer P-238 .380. It's about the same size as the Ruger LCP.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #24

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I carry the Rugar LCP. I was torn too when I was buying my CCW, but after asking several friends in law enforcement what they carry as a pocket gun 8 out of 12 said the LCP. They are only about 40.00 more then the Kel-Tec so not really a price thing there. I think really its what you are comfortable with. The LCP just felt better to me and for having basically no barrel they are reasonably accurate. But hey I dont think a BG is going to mug me from 200 yrds!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #25

I read that article in American Rifleman and I was shocked to read that EVERY one of the .380's reviewed had malfunction issues. I'd be leery of carrying a weapon that might not fire when needed. I'll stick with my Beretta Cheetah. I know that weapon is reliable.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #26

I carry a Kel Tec P32 and my wife has an LCP. They are both nice guns. I have never had either fail. I have not shot them a whole lot though. They are both accurate at short range.

I like pocket pistols. I like to be able to slip in my pocket when I want to carry and leave it in the car when I don't or can't. It is hard to do that with a fancy IWB holster design to conceal a 1911.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Wambli,

I've been looking at getting a PPS for pocket carry. How does it compare with a J-frame in your pocket? And if you don't mind my asking, are you a small, medium, large or extra large person?

Also, how reliable and accurate is it?

Thanks.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #28

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I have a Bersa mod.83 .380 which predates the Thunder series, basically the same except for the all steel frame. To me they are too big for a pocket weapon, my wood gripped Bersa is as wide as my Cougar 40. Kahr PM and MK series are much thinner, a Kahr in 40 S&W cal for ccw is on my wish list. Due to my skinny frame I have a real problem hiding weapons of a caliber I want, that's why I now see the Kahr would have been perfect for me. So much for listening to the gun salesman mention that the Kahr in 40 S&W was "Snappy." But that's my problem, shouldn't have been as I teethed on a light weight .44 mag SA.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #29

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
Wambli,

I've been looking at getting a PPS for pocket carry. How does it compare with a J-frame in your pocket? And if you don't mind my asking, are you a small, medium, large or extra large person?

Also, how reliable and accurate is it?

Thanks.
The gun is .9" thick so it easily disapears into pants pockets or a cheap IWB holster specially with the flush mag (6+1) it also comes with a 7 rounder that extends just a hair from the grip frame. I've tried carrying J frames but that cylinder while Ok in baggy pants is hell on anyting even closely fitted. PLUS the trigger is MUCH smoother than a DA J frame with a very short reset for follow up shots. I'm 6' 225lbs.

The gun probably has about 2,000 rounds though it since I picked it up with everything from FMJ to SD Hollow Points. Zero malfunctions even when filthy at the end of lengthy range sessions and I shoot hard and fast. The bore axis is deceptively low and it pushes into your hand more than flip up during recoil so follow up shots are easy and fast.

It is accurate enough to bust trap clay birds at 50 yards on the dirt berm at the range with boring regularity. If you do your part it's one ragged hole at 7 yards with TAP ammo which is what I carry in it for CC.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Thanks for the review. This sounds like what I'm looking for.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs