best ccw for pocket carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > best ccw for pocket carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default best ccw for pocket carry

Im trying to decide between the kel tec 380, ruger lcp and bersa thunder. Anyone have opinions on best and safest to carry in front pocket?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Here's some reading you may find helpful:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2074&cid=18&utm_source=newslet ter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Concealed-Carry-image&utm_campaign=ShotShowR

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #3

johnc847,

Welcome!! Stop by the introduction area & introduce yourself to the FTF gang. My vote goes to the Ruger LCP.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5650 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc847 View Post
Im trying to decide between the kel tec 380, ruger lcp and bersa thunder. Anyone have opinions on best and safest to carry in front pocket?
i like the bersa thunder its basically a copy of the venerable walther ppk that fixed all the problems of the walther at half the cost. i have a thunder 380 and 2 thunder 380 plus. the plus is the 15 round versions and has a slightly steeper bullet angle to chamber than the regular 7 round thunder. all three guns are fairly new about 100 rounds through each atm and only one or two ftf in each. every 380 i have ever fired new has feed problems till you get about 300 rounds down the pipe.

i have had the colt mustang the bereta version and the walther PPK/s all had issues for the first few hundred rounds and all cleaned up well once they broke in and got the burrs out.

the thunder is deadly accurate i print 1.5 inch 7 round groups with the tunder 380 and 2 inch 15 round groups with the plus version at 15 yards. for a little 380 these guns are superb and i would say best in class. the pointability factor alone with this gun series is amazing especially when compared to the others you have mentioned.

the bersa thunders also have very positive safeties that click into place and decock the weapon. if i was pocket carrying i would not pick a weapon that did not have a very strong safety that would have little chance of disengaging in the pocket.

the bersa thunders are amazing guns and put the other makers you mention to shame. for the price tags of the other guns you can pick up several bersa thunders and end up with a better gun.

Last edited by JonM; 01-16-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
cbw

Having a LCP I have to stand up the the little gun. Since Ruger had the recall and fixed the issue of ONE of them being dropped, hitting concrete and firing, they are are fine little gun. Mine was not part of the recall and has performed flawlessly out of the box. I have about 500 rounds through her and no misfires. I added a Crimson Trace laser (yes the sight on the gun is small!) this makes this little gal accurate as can be at 30+ feet I can pull all heads on a silhouette.

She is light, carry's easily in the front pocket, and I really like it. Overpriced? Maybe - but the market is allowing it so some one wants them...

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 01-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #6

I carry a Kel Tec P32. A lot of people think that a 32 is too small but it is very comfortable and easy to carry. I figure if I am going to use it then it will be at close range and I can empty the clip pretty quick. One shot stopping power might not be great but I figure three or four hits will stop about anybody.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5650 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
I carry a Kel Tec P32. A lot of people think that a 32 is too small but it is very comfortable and easy to carry. I figure if I am going to use it then it will be at close range and I can empty the clip pretty quick. One shot stopping power might not be great but I figure three or four hits will stop about anybody.
i dont put much faith in claims of one shot stops either. about the only thing that can reliably do that is the .50BMG and those are a tad hard to carry about your person for CCW

Old 01-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I also carry a kel tec P32 and I love it, it's light, small and suprisingly accurate.
Bersa thunders are good guns as well, but a little big for pocket carry.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #9

When I'm not carrying a full size 1911 or a K frame 357 S&W revolver (which is 99% of the time) I shove a S&W 2inch 5 shot revolver in my right front (strong side) pants pocket. I have bobbed the hammer spur and done a double action trigger job on both of my carry revolvers.

Mike McIntyre
VP Operations
MPI Rifles, LLC
www.mpirifles.com

Old 01-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #10

If I were going to go for more power I would probably switch to a snub nosed revolver...