Best CCW for a female long distance Runner - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best CCW for a female long distance Runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I have a Sig P238 I just bought yesterday and I love it but I think the LCP is a lighter gun, just as good and might be a better carry for a long distance runner. Just my humble opinion.
I have/had both (sold the LCP) and while the LCP is super small, I'd take the 238 anyday in a fight. It has their great Sig Nite Sights and much longer sight radius than an LCP. Sure at body to body distances who needs sights but if you are even 5 yards apart, and the adrenaline is rushing, I'd rather have the 238 with the tritium sights. But you can carry the LCP in most any pocket but you'd want a holster if running with a 238. Choices, choices, choices............. but the LCP would be better if you want to be unincumbered by a holster.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I would go with the Sig P238 with night sights. In my opinion the LCP may be a little too hard to hold on to when already fatigued from running. Yes, the Sig is heavier than the LCP, but as an owner of both I have to say the recoil of the Sig is much more easily controlled.

This is my personal opinion, and I am putting on my Nomex right now. I just know the flames are coming. Avoid a laser at all costs. With the weather in Oklahoma combined with rapid breathing while running, the humidity near the laser source is liable to do a better job of lighting up your mom than it is the target. Get her a gun she is comfortable with and teach her point shooting.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
I would go with the Sig P238 with night sights. In my opinion the LCP may be a little too hard to hold on to when already fatigued from running. Yes, the Sig is heavier than the LCP, but as an owner of both I have to say the recoil of the Sig is much more easily controlled.

This is my personal opinion, and I am putting on my Nomex right now. I just know the flames are coming. Avoid a laser at all costs. With the weather in Oklahoma combined with rapid breathing while running, the humidity near the laser source is liable to do a better job of lighting up your mom than it is the target. Get her a gun she is comfortable with and teach her point shooting.
will do

Old 03-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The last thing anybody needs on any gun is a laser. A light maybe but a laser is going to make you think about looking for some stupid ass dot on someone attacking u. When u get in a time is life situation focusing on some red dot is not happen. To prove that point next time u get in a adrenalin dump situation try to remember who is on a 2 dollar bill. Now. As far as a good carry pistol for long distance running. It's not the size that counts its how and where u carry it.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
The last thing anybody needs on any gun is a laser.
I'm 99% in agreement with you. A laser does come in handy when you are trying to build muscle memory for shooting without sights from unorthodox stances. Once you have the technique and muscle memory down you need to turn off the laser and leave it off. If you have to depend on the laser to hit your target, you need to reevaluate your shooting priorities. Burn ammo, not batteries.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

If a revolver is acceptable to her, she might consider a Charter Arms Bulldog. A lightweight (21 oz) 5-shot .44 special with a 2.5" barrel. It has some kick, but if this lady is a long-distance runner, she's not likely to be a wimp. And like the dealer I bought 4 of them from says, "it makes nice, round holes".

Old 03-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

S&W body guard in 380 or 38 with laser. If she runs at night she doesn't have to worry about sight alignment just picture.She will need range time to learn to handle the fire arm and use it properly and shoot allot and possibly get a 22 in same configuration or close to it to work on shooting skills trigger control sight picture and alignment and practice to get use to recoil at least once a month also carry mase for the four legged critters. good luck CB ccw instructor

Old 03-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Im also a fan of the bodyguard series. I would make sure she practices with what she carries though. A .22 is a blast at the range but the recoil on bodyguard .380 is alot different!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #29
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2370 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 2490

Really consider a small revolver. They're simple, no safety to figure out under pressure. They'll fire all of their rounds at contact range. (Semi-auto is likely to jam after 1st shot when in contact w/ target.) If she's much more than contact range, chances are good that a runner can run away (always the best choice if available IMO).

The sheath knife around the neck is a good backup. But it may be hard to get at, if tucked inside the shirt. On the other hand, flapping around loose while running is probably not going to be comfortable for her. May need to think about how to carry the knife.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #30

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemotte View Post
Im also a fan of the bodyguard series. I would make sure she practices with what she carries though. A .22 is a blast at the range but the recoil on bodyguard .380 is alot different!
mdemotte I totally agree with you on practice what you carry I meant use the 22 to work on skills so you don't have to worry about recoil and focus on skills then add your carry gun with the recoil and also practice and if you use all the skills from the 22 with your carry gun you should be very sufficient.