Best CCW for a female long distance Runner - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best CCW for a female long distance Runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Oh man! A lot of great info, and very much appreciated! Well, she does in fact want to carry while running so she has more opportunities. Being female and on the smaller size shes pretty vulnerable alone especially at night and has had a few uncomfortable situations while running so most times now she just cant. It had been a twenty some odd years since she had been shooting, before she had me, but we went recently and shot my glock 21 .45 and she handled it ok surprisingly. We have a pretty great local gun shop here in Tulsa (Dongs) w great selection/prices. i think taking her there and having her get a feel for them all will be best. Pretty sure Dongs carries all the firearms you all have offered and we will definitely check them all out. Not looking to spend more than a few hundred but you know how it goes when you get hooked on something... hopefully we can stay on budget

Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #12

Now I get to do some research! First up, Ruger LCP 380acp. Ill check out all the great suggestions and get back to you guys... Sure to find a winner

Old 03-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Don't overlook the option of pepper spray and/or a taser/stungun

Last edited by RufusTFirefly; 03-16-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #14

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Get her an attack greyhound to run with her.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7091 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 8599

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 View Post
I would look at the Ruger LCP or S & W Bodyguard in 380. The Bodyguard comes with the laser were the LCP does not. You can add the laser to the LCP but the add on brings the price a little over the S & W. You will want a laser on both because the sights are horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
You definitely want a laser on them. I would suggest the ruger. The trigger pull on the bodyguard is terrible.
I agree a Ruger LCP is very light and small and is a great gun. I considered it seriously on my most recent gun purchase but I opted for a slightly heavier gun because weight wasn't as big a factor to me as to your Mom. But the LCP was a very close second contender for me. I disagree on needing a laser. I think in any situation like she might come across it will be more of a 'point and shoot' situation. Personally, I wouldn't get one with a laser. It increases the cost and weight of the gun and I doubt you'll be any more likely to hit your target at close range with a laser than without a laser. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
This is another good idea. Somewhere there's a dog who would love to go running with her and would help keep her safe. I like this option a lot. She should get a dog and an LCP. I think she'd be pretty safe. The pepper spray option is another good option.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sig. 238...380 cal.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7091 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 8599

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman55 View Post
Sig. 238...380 cal.
I have a Sig P238 I just bought yesterday and I love it but I think the LCP is a lighter gun, just as good and might be a better carry for a long distance runner. Just my humble opinion.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusTFirefly
Don't overlook the option of pepper spray and/or a taser/stungun
ill be sure to check these options out too. Pepper spray can definitely be one mean contender, just got to make sure she knows how to use it. Seems simple but Ive heard a few stories about spraying in the wind... similar result to pissing in the wind

Old 03-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

I disagree on needing a laser. I think in any situation like she might come across it will be more of a 'point and shoot' situation. Personally, I wouldn't get one with a laser. It increases the cost and weight of the gun and I doubt you'll be any more likely to hit your target at close range with a laser than without a laser. Just my opinion.
Seems to be right to go without the laser since the scenario would likely be a close range point and shoot. You never know but it seems likely yo be that case. Secondly, with the long distance upwards of 18miles when running alone she says every ounce is inevitably felt. So considering comfort and weight balanced against the need for a laser we ll prob opt out but we ll have to check it out regardless if we go the ruger lcp route.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp
Haha not a bad idea really. Unfortunately, she already inherited an oversized 80-100lb boxer mix from my younger brother (brother rescued him from an abusive owner) and the dog is all lover and scared of everything :/ So hes nt going to be any real help although his presence alone might make a difference.