Best CCW for a female long distance Runner
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best CCW for a female long distance Runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best CCW for a female long distance Runner

So, my mom is looking to get her concealed carry license here in Oklahoma. Shes a long distance runner and likes to run at night during the summer but is inhibited most times because in order to run 10 to 20 miles its almost impossible not to run into some sketch areas. Her birthday is coming up and really want to set her up w something great. Anyhow, im hoping to get some advice from anyone on specific firearms that might fit the bill. Again, its long distance so weight and size is everything, especially since shes 5'1" 105lbs. I dont want to compromise too much on power and reliability but i understand it ll be give and take. Looked at the kel-tec p3at and think it might do the job but im kind of in the dark... thanks a bunch for any help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I have a little Beretta 21. It is only a .22, but it sure is small and light. Now there are .32s and .380s that are nearly as small. You might want to look for a store that has some of these and take her out for her birthday and let her pick.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would look at the Ruger LCP or S & W Bodyguard in 380. The Bodyguard comes with the laser were the LCP does not. You can add the laser to the LCP but the add on brings the price a little over the S & W. You will want a laser on both because the sights are horrible.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You definitely want a laser on them. I would suggest the ruger. The trigger pull on the bodyguard is terrible.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by war34642 View Post
So, my mom is looking to get her concealed carry license here in Oklahoma. Shes a long distance runner and likes to run at night during the summer but is inhibited most times because in order to run 10 to 20 miles its almost impossible not to run into some sketch areas. Her birthday is coming up and really want to set her up w something great. Anyhow, im hoping to get some advice from anyone on specific firearms that might fit the bill. Again, its long distance so weight and size is everything, especially since shes 5'1" 105lbs. I dont want to compromise too much on power and reliability but i understand it ll be give and take. Looked at the kel-tec p3at and think it might do the job but im kind of in the dark... thanks a bunch for any help
That's great to have a mom that can run such a distance!
My first thought would be for her to try out a Ruger LCP 380.
They are dependable, compact, light, and reliable. You can't go wrong
with one of them. Plus they pack a powerful punch when fired.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a Kel-tec P-3AT with a laser.......I carry it 24/7 in a pocket holster in my front pants pocket. I love it for everyday carry, and depending on weather (clothing requirements) I often carry a Glock 19 (in a Crossbreed IWB) or Ruger LCR .357 Mag. (in small belt clip IWB) in addition to the .380.

The Ruger LCR is just a tad bulky for my front pocket or I'd carry it in place of the .380. I don't want to appear to be too happy to meet someone who might notice.....

Last edited by TimKS; 03-15-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Question: Does she want to carry a gun when she runs?

That's a very important question. If she doesn't, she won't. I say this as someone who regularly carries and regularly runs, but rarely does both simultaneously. If she doesn't want to carry while running, buy her a medium framed HD pistol or 20ga shotgun and some pepper spray (for running).

If she does want to carry, look into the Ruger LCP (probably the ideal choice), as well as their LC9 and LCR. They're all solid and affordable firearms. There are plenty other good options from various makers...Ruger's quality, portability, and price is just tough to match. The Sig P238 is a great little gun as well.

There are only three and a half calibers I would consider viable in your case: 38sp, 380acp, 9mm, and maybe...just maybe, 327mag.

Last edited by sweeper22; 03-15-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Running alone at night is no longer safe, even if the runner is packing.

Last edited by Ranger-6; 03-16-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
Running alone at night is no longer safe, even if the runner is backing.
I suppose that would depend on who you are (like male vs female, for starters) and where you live. I'm pretty sure it's entirely safe for me. Every now and then I'll be out running at 2am...not carrying, and feeling very safe.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

There are several good mouse guns out there in 380 but the smaller the more recoil. I hated the P3AT and the LCP. You have to practice and they are not fun to practice with. I have not fired the Bodyguard but I have handled it and the laser is a little awkward. Your budget will govern your choices. I have heard a lot of good things about the Kahr pistol. I have a Sig P238 but it might not be the best choice for your mothers requirements as it is heavier than the others. How she intends to carry is another factor. Running is going to limit choices in carry methods. A fanny pack would be too slow and probably not comfortable. She would have to be able to access the pistol quickly and easily even if she is grabbed. There was a post recently about a Flashbang holster that might be ideal for her. Dont rule out the revolvers entirely. There are smaller ones than the LCR which while light is a little bulky. S&W 642 or Charter Arms Off Duty come to mind. If at all possible, shoot before you buy. I have seen a lot of buyers remorse with the small pistols. Dont buy a self defense pistol that has a muzzle brake. The flash at night will blind you. I learned that the hard way. Luckily it was at a range and not a situation.
There are some options for close combat that are not usually mentioned here. There are several very good fighting knives that hang from the neck by the sheath. Grab the handle, tug and you have a very formidable close in weapon that can inflict a lot of damage.These are not folders. I always carry a knife in addition to my pistol. A stun gun is also light, effective and good against dogs. Check local laws.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."