Best caliber for knockdown power and defense - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best caliber for knockdown power and defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
9mm Kurtz, translated to English, US, 9mm short. If I am wrong jagermeister will set me straight.
That is correct. Americans know it as a .380 acp. All will fit in the new Glock 42.

"Feuer Frei!"

Old 01-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #82

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlech29 View Post
If you look at my original post and question .." Which of these three calibers would you stake your life on and which has the best ballistics for defense carry ? 9mm , .40 , 45 Recoil is not part of the equation...I am a bigger guy and can shoot all of these fairly well. Just curious as to which to carry."......I did not once say anything about knock down power. The guys three post down from my original thread post did and then all the crazies came out. Its quite comical ... I have all these calibers by the way and I carry my glock 21 in my automobile.
The devil is in the details, can you comfortably carry the 21? My 20 constantly wears a light and sits in a BladeTech so it's too big, dunno about the 21. Even tho I love my Browning Hi Powers for my use where I might have to take out an amimal I will avoid the 9. I had an ugly time putting down a large stray with 115gr. Cor Bons that soured me on the 9 for general use in the sticks. I keep one loaded in the bedroom but it has 2 spare mags with it and if I were to have to use it there would be a lot of bangs.

Between the .40 and the .45 if I had to be catch as catch can on ammo I would chose the .45 cause it's always gonna make the bigger hole with ball ammo. If good hollowpoints were available for both it would come down to capacity and comfort to keep handy. If you have a gun on your person do you pack a spare mag or is what's in it all your going to have? Really there are just a lot of questions only you can answer. I just got in from my morning hike and packed an NAA Guardian in .32 so what do I know about stopping power?

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 411 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Any of the three, try them and see which you prefer simple.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #84

Liked 314 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Only things I have ever seen that have "stopping" power are usually mounted on naval vessels. Handguns rifles shotguns and machine guns do not have stopping power regardless of cartridge.

Big holes leak faster than small holes. Simple math. Poke a .45 hole in a bucket of water and poke .35 hole in a bucket and poke a .4 hole in a bucket. Which buckets empties the quickest??

The goblin beating your face in is a bucket of liquid how quickly do want that bucket to leak??

My theory on self defense is carry the biggest as in diameter caliber you can shoot quickly and accurately and can carry on you everyday. You may only land one round make it count.

This is a Cardiaccolt approved though! Thumbs up, clap, clap.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #85

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Only things I have ever seen that have "stopping" power are usually mounted on naval vessels. Handguns rifles shotguns and machine guns do not have stopping power regardless of cartridge.

Big holes leak faster than small holes. Simple math. Poke a .45 hole in a bucket of water and poke .35 hole in a bucket and poke a .4 hole in a bucket. Which buckets empties the quickest??

The goblin beating your face in is a bucket of liquid how quickly do want that bucket to leak??

My theory on self defense is carry the biggest as in diameter caliber you can shoot quickly and accurately and can carry on you everyday. You may only land one round make it count.
Dear Jon, do you not agree that a shot gun has true stopping power, or a BAR?
Come on now, I'm pretty sure the shotgun and machine gun have stopped a few fights pretty quick

Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #86
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 512 Times on 314 Posts

I order all my handgun ammo from a voodoo queen and it has special knock down power, no mater where you hit the goblin. They will be taking a one way trip to the morgue.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 01-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #87

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
I order all my handgun ammo from a voodoo queen and it has special knock down power, no mater where you hit the goblin. They will be taking a one way trip to the morgue.
So you are the one that got all the bullets that will hit someone in the arm and spin them around?

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #88
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 512 Times on 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
So you are the one that got all the bullets that will hit someone in the arm and spin them around?

Yep! and make them do a back flip. If I shoot at a car it automatically explodes.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
If you are at 30 feet and you hit non-armored individuals with a couple of shots in the center of mass and or their head.....they are going to stop coming at you, be incapacitated etc.
Not from what I've seen. Head probably. Center mass, maybe, maybe not. Center chest probably.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #90

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

It's like bowling. Use the heaviest ball that you can comfortably control. For that reason I like the .45. JMO. However, I would feel adequately armed with either of the other two.