Best caliber for knockdown power and defense - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Best caliber for knockdown power and defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3621 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

tlech29 - It is very easy to close your account here, close the window and don't come to this URL again.

Now having said that, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you choose to leave behind the centuries of combined wisdom available to you here.

Any person worth their salt knows that the best teachers were the best students, but humility is necessary to be willing to sit at the feet of a mentor(s). Yes, it can be hard at first, especially when you have the challenge of the ignorance of youth, but learning from those with decades more experience is the fastest way to wisdom and knowledge. Filter the information and apply what you have found to be useful.

Whether you stay or go, I hope you will heed these words, they will help you immensely in your life.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #62

Liked 3259 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Best caliber for knockdown power and defense - General Handgun Discussion

NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 01-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #63

Liked 272 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
It is physically impossible for a shoulder-fired rifle to "knock down" a human or a deer. If it did it would also knock the shooter down when he fired the shot.
It's that equal and opposite reaction thing......
Not quite so. The energy developed is a function of mass and velocity. While the rifle has a great deal more mass thatn the bullet, its velocity is equally fr less.

True, what you say about opposite and equal refers to the powder gasses generated. The difference lies in the differential of the mass of the two (rifle-bullet) put into motion. Recoil energy of the arm is many times less than that of the bullet.

Bob Wright

Old 01-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #64

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

I hit this nice buck in the neck, knocked him right down
neck-shot.jpg  

Old 01-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #65

Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlech29 View Post
I dont know about the " knock down power" only existing in movies or fairy tales. I have literally knocked down , rolled over , and dropped deer dead where they stand in their tracks. So I would say it exist. Id actually say out of the 7 deer i have killed with soft point762 x54 literally were knocked down and stopped dead in their tracks. Wheras when I used a 243 deer would always move more even take a few steps or run . So yes I do believe different calibers do in fact have more " knock down power"
Where I live is slug country, and I use a 3" Federal sabot, sometimes at maybe 25 yards on the near end. It doesn't "knock" anything down. Sometimes they run, sometimes they fall but any sudden motion away from the shot is the same reaction we would have by touching a hot stove. That slug punches a hole usually thru and thru and there is just nothing in a body that would stop it to give it the push to knock something back or down. I'm thinking maybe a bowling ball gun.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
Where I live is slug country, and I use a 3" Federal sabot, sometimes at maybe 25 yards on the near end. It doesn't "knock" anything down. Sometimes they run, sometimes they fall but any sudden motion away from the shot is the same reaction we would have by touching a hot stove. That slug punches a hole usually thru and thru and there is just nothing in a body that would stop it to give it the push to knock something back or down. I'm thinking maybe a bowling ball gun.
I hit that Buck with an 8mm Mauser and his legs buckled immediately, you might argue that he wasn't "knocked over" but when you don't have to chase them, who really cares.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #67

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
762x54 soft point.
1390408881931.jpg  
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 01-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Which of these three calibers would you stake your life on and which has the best ballistics for defense carry ? 9mm , .40 , 45 Recoil is not part of the equation...I am a bigger guy and can shoot all of these fairly well. Just curious as to which to carry.
In this order: .45 acp 180gr, .40 S&W 165gr, 9mm 147gr, 9mm 115gr. Since you did not specify +P I did not include them.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #69

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
I hit that Buck with an 8mm Mauser and his legs buckled immediately, you might argue that he wasn't "knocked over" but when you don't have to chase them, who really cares.
Man I have been looking for a mauser to use. I hit that deer with a head shot with my mosin nagant and yes it "knocked" her down as well.

I have even rolled deer over with my 762x54 and I dont think a .22 or.223 would do that. So I think its safe to say in this case that the 762x54 has more " knock down " power. Nice big bodied buck by the way !

Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #70

Quote:
Man I have been looking for a mauser to use. I hit that deer with a head shot with my mosin nagant and yes it "knocked" her down as well.

I have even rolled deer over with my 762x54 and I dont think a .22 or.223 would do that. So I think its safe to say in this case that the 762x54 has more " knock down " power. Nice big bodied buck by the way !
Well, I believe I would have achieved the same result with my 22WMR, I believe this because I have done it. On a neck shot, if you place the bullet correctly, you can repeat this result with a wide range of calibers.

My son shot his first deer at the age of 8 with a Remington 700 chambered in 243, he hit it in the heart, and its legs buckled as well. I have shot deer with my 223 and achieved the same results.

But, I feel you are correct in your belief Some rifles and calibers have an advantage