Best caliber for knockdown power and defense - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best caliber for knockdown power and defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 02:39 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1143 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I swear this retread thread makes me so bloody tired. Same crap over and over and over.......

Let's just shoot you with all three and you tell us which one knocked you down the most
You don't HAVE to participate if you're tired of it.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:40 AM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
so apparently you have answered your own question. but i would suggest you do some study on ballistics and actual effects of bullets, and understand there is a huge difference in rifle cartridges and pistol cartridges.
How did I answer my own question ? In no way sape or form did I say that a 9mm .40 or 45 was more effective in my statement. ....pay attention

Old 01-22-2014, 02:41 AM   #23

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
knock down power? doesn't exist. if you are talking about what to use to stop a BG, then either rapid blood loss or CNS shutdown is what stops them. knock down power is used in the movies and TV, not real life.

my personal preference? accurate shot placement. it trumps caliber just about every time. carry what you can hit accurately with. use reliable SD ammo and with accurate shot placement, you increase your odds of surviving an attack from some violent offender looking to do you harm.

being able to handle the recoil doesn't always mean being able to hit accurately. i have seen some large guys that could handle the recoil on larger magnums, that couldn't hit the broad side of barn.
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlech29 View Post
I dont know about the " knock down power" only existing in movies or fairy tales. I have literally knocked down , rolled over , and dropped deer dead where they stand in their tracks. So I would say it exist. Id actually say out of the 7 deer i have killed with soft point762 x54 literally were knocked down and stopped dead in their tracks. Wheras when I used a 243 deer would always move more even take a few steps or run . So yes I do believe different calibers do in fact have more " knock down power"
Explains this...

Shot placement is everything...

Disrupt the central nervous system and call it a day...

A specific caliber matters not...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-22-2014, 02:56 AM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know that I shot a deer in her shoulder with a 762x54 and the exit wound blew off her opposite shoulder thus knocking her down and incapacitating her. I dont see how you can say the caliber does not matter as far as k ock down power. If I shot her her with a 22 mag in the exact same spot wpuld the exact same thing happened....prob not
And you guys are raking this "knock down power " thing too damn serious. Its a fancy way of saying which round will incapacitate the target the fastest ...being a deer running or dropping dead on sight or a perp being shot and dropping dead right then and there or being shot and death being the end rwsult but he was also allowed to put two rounds through his gun before dying.

I have seen a guy shot dead in the chest with a .9mm rd and walk around for 30 sec before dying saying he was shot. Now my question......if that was a .40 or .45 would he have walked around for 30 seconds ?????

Old 01-22-2014, 03:02 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 798

What gives a rifle the perception of knock down power is hydrostatic shock. A bullet fired from a rifle has enough velocity to cause injury away from the wound channel by forcing the goblins body fluids to move with great force in an unnatural direction, creating hydraulic force. While the term knock down power might not be correct the effect of hydrostatic shock is the goblin falling down or being disabled much faster than by simple blood loss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_shock

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-22-2014 at 03:08 AM.
vincent Likes This 
Old 01-22-2014, 03:06 AM   #26

Quote:
I know that I shot a deer in her shoulder with a 762x54 and the exit wound blew off her opposite shoulder thus knocking her down and incapacitating her. I dont see how you can say the caliber does not matter as far as k ock down power. If I shot her her with a 22 mag in the exact same spot wpuld the exact same thing happened....prob not
And you guys are raking this "knock down power " thing too damn serious. Its a fancy way of saying which round will incapacitate the target the fastest ...being a deer running or dropping dead on sight or a perp being shot and dropping dead right then and there or being shot and death being the end rwsult but he was also allowed to put two rounds through his gun before dying.

I have seen a guy shot dead in the chest with a .9mm rd and walk around for 30 sec before dying saying he was shot. Now my question......if that was a .40 or .45 would he have walked around for 30 seconds ?????

There is no answer for that question, plain and simple...

Waaaay too subjective, every situation is different...

There are cop blogs on the interwebz that tell stories of people getting shot multiple times that still remain a threat, and even live afterwards, shot placement bro...

Not sure exactly what you're asking but like I said before, caliber matters not...

Put a 460 Rowland through the forehead of a BG...He ain't shootin' back...

Put a .22 through the same spot, he's just as incapacitated...

SHOT PLACEMENT!...

Link...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopping_power

Last edited by vincent; 01-22-2014 at 03:08 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-22-2014, 03:10 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess you're just dense. First I would never use a full metal jacket 762x54 as it would fully pass throught animal and it would die a slow death while also running away... you're also not getting my question. I know people have died from 22 and some not from 45. My question is , if all those same three rounds were placed at the same spot on the body would any produce more power or effectiveness at delivering a quicker death ? Ill make it even easier for you.....which round incapacitates the victim the quickest if all shot at the same place !!?? Thanks for your input, its good that you at least think that you're smart..

Old 01-22-2014, 03:16 AM   #28

Quote:
I guess you're just dense. First I would never use a full metal jacket 762x54 as it would fully pass throught animal and it would die a slow death while also running away... you're also not getting my question. I know people have died from 22 and some not from 45. My question is , if all those same three rounds were placed at the same spot on the body would any produce more power or effectiveness at delivering a quicker death ? Ill make it even easier for you.....which round incapacitates the victim the quickest if all shot at the same place !!?? Thanks for your input, its good that you at least think that you're smart..
imagesca5vz8cy.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 01-22-2014, 03:22 AM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1390360899725.jpg  

Old 01-22-2014, 03:22 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 798

Quote:
There is no exact answer because the location of the wound has a lot of effect on how quickly the goblin is incapacitated. Since the size difference of a 9mm and a 45 acp is only .15" the 45 likely would not have stopped him any faster. If the 45 stopped the goblin any faster it would have only been a second or two, leaving the goblin plenty of time to take your life or cause serious injury.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine