Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best caliber for knockdown power and defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Best caliber for knockdown power and defense

Which of these three calibers would you stake your life on and which has the best ballistics for defense carry ? 9mm , .40 , 45 Recoil is not part of the equation...I am a bigger guy and can shoot all of these fairly well. Just curious as to which to carry.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #2

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 405

Any of the three with the right ammo. They're all handgun calibers with no magical powers.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

It doesn't matter on the knock down power if you can't hit with it.

Size does not matter. I've seen 300lb guys who cannot handle a 9mm, and I've seen a girl who weighed 90 (soaking wet) out shoot others with her .45.

Technique is key and added in skill.

Would I feel under-calibered with a 9mm? No. A .40? No. A .45? No.

What do I carry? It depends on what is on the schedule. A full size 1911 does not conceal well in speedos.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have all three calibers. I guess the question is which caliber is more likely to allow the perp return fire even when struck with one of these calibers ?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

All three!

There is no magical bullet for a handgun that will stop with one hit every time.

Consider deer hunting and what calibers are used. The hunter shoots the deer and, more often than not, has to follow a blood trail. And most of the time that is with a rifle in a caliber with more FPE than any handgun.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

People Like This 
Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IMO it all comes down to what you're more comfortable shooting or which caliber you personally favor. All 3 will do the trick if you have the right ammo and hit where you're aiming. Pick one and become proficient with it.

"If we ever forget we are one nation under God, we are one nation gone under." -President Ronald Reagan

Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #7

Liked 2393 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

This is just an opinion.

I like the .45ACP, for a couple of good reasons.

First, it's a larger cross-section, and a slower bullet.

Second, it doesn't tend to over-penetrate, compared

to others. So the bullet spends it's terminal energy

in the BG. Granted there's no exit wound, but also less

collateral damage.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #8

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts

A .45ACp slug is .452" across a .40SW slug is across .400 a 9mm is .355"

so the difference between a .45ACP and a 9mm in cross section is only 22%

My 1911 holds 8 +1 rounds for a total of 2070 grains (with 230 gr slugs) the wifes Astra A90 holds 18 + 1 for a total of 2793 grains (with 147 gr slugs)

It all evens out in the end some how.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:31 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5112 Times on 2659 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Only things I have ever seen that have "stopping" power are usually mounted on naval vessels. Handguns rifles shotguns and machine guns do not have stopping power regardless of cartridge.

Big holes leak faster than small holes. Simple math. Poke a .45 hole in a bucket of water and poke .35 hole in a bucket and poke a .4 hole in a bucket. Which buckets empties the quickest??

The goblin beating your face in is a bucket of liquid how quickly do want that bucket to leak??

My theory on self defense is carry the biggest as in diameter caliber you can shoot quickly and accurately and can carry on you everyday. You may only land one round make it count.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #10

Liked 2306 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
knock down power? doesn't exist. if you are talking about what to use to stop a BG, then either rapid blood loss or CNS shutdown is what stops them. knock down power is used in the movies and TV, not real life.

my personal preference? accurate shot placement. it trumps caliber just about every time. carry what you can hit accurately with. use reliable SD ammo and with accurate shot placement, you increase your odds of surviving an attack from some violent offender looking to do you harm.

being able to handle the recoil doesn't always mean being able to hit accurately. i have seen some large guys that could handle the recoil on larger magnums, that couldn't hit the broad side of barn.
completely untrue. there are two guns that guarantee a quick and sudden death every time either one is used.
images.jpg