Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best caliber

What would be the best caliber for a self/home defense handgun? Doesn't matter what type of gun just curious to see what you thought was the best caliber and best gun

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #2

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

12ga shotgun. You should stay in your room and defend your position. If you want to clear home then invest in a handgun as well because they maneuver much better in tight spaces.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #3

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

This is the most ask question on shooting forums. Not knowing you or your level of shooting knowledge it would be difficult to answer. It would be best for you to enroll in a NRA Home Defense Class. This will allow you to make your own determination.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #4

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
What would be the best caliber for a self/home defense handgun
Since we are talking only "handguns" here, I would say the largest caliber that you can shoot well without any undue problems. Revolvers are handguns as well and 357 Mag takes care of almost any problem that you will run into, however the recoil on that round is stout and most revolvers are limited to 5, 6 or 7 rounds. In most cases that would not be a problem, since I believe that one or two rounds would be all that you would use against a single attacker. If however, you feel that the recoil is too stout or that your situation would require more shots against many attackers then the 9mm will give you the most number of rounds per magazine. While I am not a fan of the 9mm for home defense (I do own 2 and use them), I would say the 45 ACP would be more approprate at stopping an attacker, but then again you are limited to the number of rounds that the pistol will hold (7+1). The comprimise of a 40 S&W that holds 12, 13, or 14 rounds might give you the edge, but from my experience with it the recoil is substantualy less controlable than either the 9mm or the 45 ACP.

Each caliber has it's benefits and draw-backs and must be weighed on the basis of the owner's needs. Only you can determine what will suite YOU BEST.

Jim
Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #5

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

10mm and 357 sig are great rounds but uncommon and expensive. I keep 15 horniday critical defense .40 s&w rounds in my night stand and 6 horniday critical defense .357 mag rounds between the mattress and box spring. In guns of course lol

Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1626 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsha91 View Post
What would be the best caliber for a self/home defense handgun? Doesn't matter what type of gun just curious to see what you thought was the best caliber and best gun
Check the thread about 9,40,45 on this forum.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #7

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

It is my opinion that you should use what is comfortable for you to use based on knowing you're surroundings.I speak only for me when I say I am most comfortable with my p226 with win Ranger 40. bonded jhp.I live in a block home and its just me and my gf so I don't worry about over penetration .However the entrance to my bedroom is about a 15' hallway x about 4' making maneuvering my shotgun a little difficult.There are two openings within that 15' one to the kitchen and one to the garage so I would have to be able to sweep left and right to clear both connecting rooms to move on.
So figure out something that is good for you're specific environment.Something that works for you and train and train and train and when you think you've trained enough train some more.Every ones environment is a little different and everyone is a little different when it comes to being comfortably familiar with specific tools and ammo.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #8

Liked 1082 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

.50 Action Express......................

When all else fails.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #9

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
.50 Action Express......................
Going deaf, blind, and falling on your butt from recoil while sleepy. The bad guy might laugh and leave.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1545 Posts
Likes Given: 1175

There have been suggestions of using what you feel comfortable shooting.

I agree. If you think of going into competition, a miss costs time and will lower your overall score.

A hit with a medium caliber is always better than a miss from an "elephant killer" caliber.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)