Best all around gun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best all around gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
I think this thread was just started recently.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/most-useful-handgun-91248/
Not for the 1st time for sure

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Not for the 1st time for sure
nd probably not the last either!

Old 06-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #23

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

big, heavy guns can't cover the MAIN job of a pistol, which is to ALWAYS BE AT HAND. if you aint GOT it, you can't shoot or intimidate anyone with it. In really bad weather, your FASTENED coat means that you can't get at your belt gun, which is under yet ANOTHER concealing garment. that means, too slow to be worth much. In hot weather, you won't carry that big club. So if you are going to be limited to "just one', it's the sport and other bs that has to be sacrificed, so that you have the gun that handles what needs handling, with is ccw under all conditions, the pocket auto.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #24

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsl
big, heavy guns can't cover the MAIN job of a pistol, which is to ALWAYS BE AT HAND. if you aint GOT it, you can't shoot or intimidate anyone with it. In really bad weather, your FASTENED coat means that you can't get at your belt gun, which is under yet ANOTHER concealing garment. that means, too slow to be worth much. In hot weather, you won't carry that big club. So if you are going to be limited to "just one', it's the sport and other bs that has to be sacrificed, so that you have the gun that handles what needs handling, with is ccw under all conditions, the pocket auto.
Makes much sense to me!! I would personally choose a 357 small frame revolver!! Revolvers just makes me feel Safer than any Semi I carry a semi because they are generally easier to conceal, and with one gun you have to sacrifice something, but if you force me to choose!! I would choose a Smith or Ruger 357 small frame!! Most revolvers you can mistreat, abuse, not clean, and they will still keep performing!! Semis require a little more TLC and even than they are much more likely to fail to fire than the dirtiest revolver

Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Makes much sense to me!! I would personally choose a 357 small frame revolver!! Revolvers just makes me feel Safer than any Semi I carry a semi because they are generally easier to conceal, and with one gun you have to sacrifice something, but if you force me to choose!! I would choose a Smith or Ruger 357 small frame!! Most revolvers you can mistreat, abuse, not clean, and they will still keep performing!! Semis require a little more TLC and even than they are much more likely to fail to fire than the dirtiest revolver
so you believe that semi autos require more TLC than revolvers and that revolvers don't ever break or fail.

gee, you need to learn a little more about firearms.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

With that being said!! I generally just roll with my carry gun a subcompact 9!! Rest of my guns stay in my safe!! Not cause I choose to roll with my best!! Just to lazy to get in my safe daily-

Old 06-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #27

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

drop a DA revolver,and you can bend the crane so badly that the cylinder can't turn. I know of a case wherein a cop hit a robber over the head with a Cobra 2", and bent the cylinder pin so badly that the cylinder couldn't turn! :-) You can easily jam a revolver with lint, or a piece of thin cloth, like in a coat pocket liner. things can get wedged between the back of the barrel and the front of the cylinder.

Very, very often, just the sight of the gun settles the issue, and a great deal of the time, either the first shot does so. It is extremely rare for an auto to not fire the first shot, altho less so for the DA variants than for a cocked and locked SA auto. So a great deal of the "reliability" thing about the revolver is not as well backed up by real life events and stats as most people seem to think.

It used to be that no decently expanding bullet fed reliably in autos, and admittedly, the pocket 9's ARE "picky", you have to mind your ps and q's with them, but they offer so much in the way of handiness, concealability and power that they are worth a little bit of hassle.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #28

Liked 106 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsl View Post
drop a DA revolver,and you can bend the crane so badly that the cylinder can't turn. I know of a case wherein a cop hit a robber over the head with a Cobra 2", and bent the cylinder pin so badly that the cylinder couldn't turn! :-) You can easily jam a revolver with lint, or a piece of thin cloth, like in a coat pocket liner. things can get wedged between the back of the barrel and the front of the cylinder.

Very, very often, just the sight of the gun settles the issue, and a great deal of the time, either the first shot does so. It is extremely rare for an auto to not fire the first shot, altho less so for the DA variants than for a cocked and locked SA auto. So a great deal of the "reliability" thing about the revolver is not as well backed up by real life events and stats as most people seem to think.

It used to be that no decently expanding bullet fed reliably in autos, and admittedly, the pocket 9's ARE "picky", you have to mind your ps and q's with them, but they offer so much in the way of handiness, concealability and power that they are worth a little bit of hassle.
We are talking all around, that includes hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, cc, oc, home defense, long road trips, winter, spring, summer, fall, and so on. A pocket 9 is disqualified, as in almost all jurisdictions it is unlawful for hunting. Many jurisdictions a 4" barrel is the minimum, chambered in 357 mag. I do carry my 4" 357 everywhere (where legal to carry) every day. It will suffice for just about every situation.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton

We are talking all around, that includes hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, cc, oc, home defense, long road trips, winter, spring, summer, fall, and so on. A pocket 9 is disqualified, as in almost all jurisdictions it is unlawful for hunting. Many jurisdictions a 4" barrel is the minimum, chambered in 357 mag. I do carry my 4" 357 everywhere (where legal to carry) every day. It will suffice for just about every situation.
All very valuable points!! But we all lean to what feels the best and what we are most comfortable with!! I'm just a cowboy wheel gun dude!! But there is plenty to like about a good quality Semi!!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Yep. Im completely happy with my CZ75B.