Best all around gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best all around gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Best all around gun

If you had only one gun to own! Conceal, HD, Range. Comfort, safety, and dependability!! 1 gun to serve all your needs!! 1 gun, what would it be!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall
If you had only one gun to own! Conceal, HD, Range. Comfort, safety, and dependability!! 1 gun to serve all your needs!! 1 gun, what would it be!!
I think this thread was just started recently.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/most-useful-handgun-91248/

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #3

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Probably a XDMc, a M&Pc or an SR9c. All can be used for range or CCW because of the magazine options. Full size grip for the range with the extended magazine and compact with the standard mag.

....but no gun does everything well.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 05-28-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 951 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Stuck with one life and one wife, most everything else no such thing as one.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #5

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

My choice would be the glock 19, the glock 19s are probably the most popular pistols around ,the double stack magazines are capable of holding 15+1 rounds it is also compatible with the glock 17 round magazines also you if you wish you can pop in a 30 round extended magazine or add on the extended floor plate for 30+2 rounds of 9mm 9mm is also a very popular round it is a NATO standard as well, the glock 19 is smaller than the glock 17 but bigger than the glock 26 making it just right perfect for all around use, easy to conceal, also parts and pieces can be easily acquired almost all police stations have some sort of glock if an apocalypse came or shtf or something crazy where to happen the glock would most likely be easier to find, also it is very simple to use slide the mag in, rack the slide, and squeeze the trigger to the rear, its reputation for reliabilty has been proven all over the world. These are my opinions not facts, others may choose something different

Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #6

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Guess if only one handgun it would also be a glock 19 for me. BUT and older gen 2, 2 1/2 or 3. No gen 4.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #7

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
Guess if only one handgun it would also be a glock 19 for me. BUT and older gen 2, 2 1/2 or 3. No gen 4.
I agree, the gen 4s are a little different the internals are not compatible, the gen 4 slides are a bit different too, with the gen 3 you can interchange slides with a glock 18 in an apocalypse situation or end of the world if you ever found one im not sure if there is a gen 4 g18 so id stick to the original gen 3 or 2

Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Okay, for all the listed above, I do believe I would best be served by a 4 in. revolver in .357 Magnum.

For small game, I'd used the .38 Special ball. I can still go hunting with the .357.
It's not as large as some semi-autos, but large enough to tame recoil.
Stock accuracy is normally better than a stock semi-auto.
Dependability is inherrent to any revolver.
HD, it should fill the bill nicely.

Although not as "cool" as a semi-auto, it seems to do all the jobs just as well (if not better).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5664 Times on 2958 Posts
Likes Given: 375

best all round gun prolly a commander sized 1911 or a xdm compact both in 45acp. enough power to reliably take game good self defense utility lightweight easy to conceal

if i had to pick one gun out of my safe to keep as a do it all it would be my xdm compact 45acp

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 05-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #10

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I put a nice revolver on my hip and on my night stand, above anything else if I had to choose!! That sounds a bit hypocritical,, since my primary carry is a compact 9mm! But if I had to choose one, for all my needs!! Probably an SP101 357 mag 4"!!! I own the 2", but I would want the 4 for increased accuracy if it was my only gun.