Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best 9mm hollowpoint ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben
There are a lot of good JHP loads for 9mm these days. My personal choices are either Speer Gold Dots or Federal HSTs in 124gr +P loadings. They both have a proven track record and as a bonus are available in more economical 50 round LE packaging (don't let the LE label worry you these packages are available to anyone).

Favorites aside, I don't know that there really is any single "best" choice in 9mm. I would be comfortable with any of the modern JHP SD loads from any of the major manufacturers.

That's not always the case with hollow points. One of the main problems with early 147gr loads was over penetration because the bullets were moving too slowly to reliably expand.

I'll chime in with a comment on the Glazers. I used to keep my "house gun" loaded with then because I was concerned about wall penetration (I live in a townhouse with neighbors just the other side of an interior wall in both sides). As time wheat on though I began to read more and more about failures of Glazers to stop assailants. They may make nasty surface wounds but the don't have the penetration (12-16 inches in ballistic gel) that is generally considered ideal these days. I think they still have a place but only on situations where over penetration is you first and foremost concern.
I would agree with you in the subject of the safety slugs, but that is why no matter what I do, will have alternating hollow points. I'm looking for the highest possible carnage with the maximum safety, which is kind of hard to balance. I don't have an issue capping anyone who disregards my life, or that of my family's. A lot of people say this, but I have no issue with someone bleeding out on my floor, and not loosing any sleep later. If you attack me, you are declaring war, and I will respond with as much force as I can devote; especially when it comes to protecting myself or my family.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #22

Liked 859 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Quote:
Much appreciated. You seem to know a lot about ammo- more than I ever will, so would you stick with the glaser safety slugs, or no?
You do know that was just ripped word for word from elsewhere on the internet, right? I read it just yesterday. See chuckhawks.com "Ammunition for the Self Defense Firearm" Also note that this is "An OPINION piece by UNKNOWN", and there is no date on it, so who knows how old it is.

Last edited by clr8ter; 11-24-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5199 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 4421

I don't know if there is a best. I carry Winchester Ranger "T" 127 GR +P+ JHP ammo.

But Federal 115 grain +P+ (9BPLE) was a LE standard for many years.

Golda Meier.