Best 9mm hollowpoint ammo?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best 9mm hollowpoint ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Default Best 9mm hollowpoint ammo?

I am the new owner of a Beretta 92sb compact. I am a lot more used to long arms, and haven't dealt with an automatic pistol or 9mm ever. Right now, the mag is loaded (alternating) with glaser safety slugs and hollow points (I don't know what kind) I have read a lot about the safety slugs and want to keep them, but the hollow points, I think, will be replaced. I want maximum carnage with minimum penetration. It needs to stop invaders cold, without me having to worry about the round hitting someone in the next room.

Thanks for the help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #2

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

You bought a loaded gun?

Keep the hollow points

Old 10-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

there is no magic bullet the handgun has it's limitations . if you want to stop someone cold get a shot gun. for one shot stops the 9mm is rated in the lower 90% range and of course this depends alot on shot placement . some of the better loads for a 9mm corbon 115 grain jhp, double tap , hornady critrical defence . the size or caliber is secondary to shot placement . google ammo stopping power and look at some results . this is all very subjective and opens the door to alot of debate. you'll hear from the 45 1911 people , the 357 magnum people . the shotgun people etc..... remember it is what it is . as long as you've picked the 9mm as the caliber of choice for you , learn to live with it , practice and then practice some more. 2 shots center mass.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

9mm - This was the first semiauto pistol to be used extensively by police agencies and replaced the 38 Special and 357 Magnum round. Early loadings of the 147 grain round caused major stopping problems however current 147 grain designs are vastly superior. Clearly the best 9mm loads are those driven to +P+ pressures. Of the 20 loadings evaluated, the top load was the Federal 115 grain JHP +P+ involved in 209 shootings with 190 one shot stops for a 91% rating. The Winchester 115 grain JHP +P+ and 127 grain Ranger SXT +P+ both had 90% one shot stops. All five loads driven to +P+ pressures ranked in the top 5 followed by all bullets loaded to +P pressures. Rounds manufactured to standard pressure ratings comprised the bottom 12 loadings in the study.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #5

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Seems to me that the lower velocity the less possibility for over-penetration. Shorter barrels are prone to decreased velocity. Of course everything also depends on shot placement. A through and through can still happen if a bad shot barely hits. Do some testing with penetration and expansion. I just did. Use milk jugs filled with water. I used 4, then put a backstop up to catch round. It simulates about 10" square flesh. Sadly there's no way to account for bone, but it's cool, fun and informative.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

First thing to do is sell the Beretta and get a goose down pillow. NO collateral damage with the pillow!

If you are not ready to extract 10 X the violence beset upon you, just submit!

There is no crying in self defense!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
First thing to do is sell the Beretta and get a goose down pillow. NO collateral damage with the pillow!

If you are not ready to extract 10 X the violence beset upon you, just submit!

There is no crying in self defense!
You feel big don't you? I would rather take a bullet myself than disregard the safety of my loved ones, something you clearly haven't considered.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj
You bought a loaded gun?

Keep the hollow points
I got it from my dad. He used to keep it as a car gun, and just left it loaded for use if needed.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
Seems to me that the lower velocity the less possibility for over-penetration. Shorter barrels are prone to decreased velocity. Of course everything also depends on shot placement. A through and through can still happen if a bad shot barely hits. Do some testing with penetration and expansion. I just did. Use milk jugs filled with water. I used 4, then put a backstop up to catch round. It simulates about 10" square flesh. Sadly there's no way to account for bone, but it's cool, fun and informative.
I may have to do this, but it will be a while before I can get to the range. Thanks for the idea.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by guncollector
9mm - This was the first semiauto pistol to be used extensively by police agencies and replaced the 38 Special and 357 Magnum round. Early loadings of the 147 grain round caused major stopping problems however current 147 grain designs are vastly superior. Clearly the best 9mm loads are those driven to +P+ pressures. Of the 20 loadings evaluated, the top load was the Federal 115 grain JHP +P+ involved in 209 shootings with 190 one shot stops for a 91% rating. The Winchester 115 grain JHP +P+ and 127 grain Ranger SXT +P+ both had 90% one shot stops. All five loads driven to +P+ pressures ranked in the top 5 followed by all bullets loaded to +P pressures. Rounds manufactured to standard pressure ratings comprised the bottom 12 loadings in the study.
This is some really nice info. I will buy one of those loads.