Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best 9mm ammo for an Apartment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have read numerous posts on several forums on this very topic. After all this reading I have come to a radical conclusion. The best self defense ammo is what you are comfortable shooting in your home. If over penetration is your concern by all means use something that doesn't penetrate. A bad guy is not going to be able to evaluate how deeply the bullet has penetrated his body. All he knows is he has been shot and it's a damned good time to retreat.

The reason drug crazed invaders are so well documented is it happens so seldom. I doubt many bad guys are tougher than bar room brawlers. A brawler is a person that is not afraid of pain and they get a rush from dangerous situations. Yet, when a brawler is shot by any weapon they retreat. By shooting the brawler you have elevated the amount of pain and injury beyond what he considers fun.

The biggest danger in home defense is hesitation. By eliminating things that might cause you to hesitate when an intruder busts through the door you are increasing the chances of successfully defending the ones you love.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #62

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Home Defense

I worry a lot about collateral damage. I'm not in an apartment, but I have kids and dogs...and for that reason, my home defense gun is made by Louisville Slugger plus two pretty good fists. My guns are in the safe.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #63

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade
For those of us that live in an apartment, what 9mm ammo would you suggest I use?
Honestly any decent SD round in 9mm (or any other caliber) is going to penetrate an interior wall with enough energy left to kill or injure someone on the other side. You best bet is to practice hitting what you aim at a lot and try to identify "shooting lanes" with more substantial back stops around your apartment (exterior walls, multiple walls, heavy furniture, appliances, etc.)

If you are really obsessed with the issue your best bet might be one of the pre-fragmented rounds like Mag-Safe. Just be aware such rounds have a history of being less effective than modern JHP ammo.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #64

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Honestly any decent SD round in 9mm (or any other caliber) is going to penetrate an interior wall with enough energy left to kill or injure someone on the other side. You best bet is to practice hitting what you aim at a lot and try to identify "shooting lanes" with more substantial back stops around your apartment (exterior walls, multiple walls, heavy furniture, appliances, etc.)

If you are really obsessed with the issue your best bet might be one of the pre-fragmented rounds like Mag-Safe. Just be aware such rounds have a history of being less effective than modern JHP ammo.
You have a firewall between apartments. Shoot 4 layers of 5/8 drywall with any 9mm HP round. Have a pile of dirt behind the drywall so you can find the bullets. You will see there isn't much left of the bullet laying on the dirt. Very few bullets will even dig into the dirt.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #65

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow

You have a firewall between apartments.
In some places but this is by no means universal especially in older construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Shoot 4 layers of 5/8 drywall with any 9mm HP round.
Google "Box o Truth". There's a couple guys who have done extensive penetration tests that show a 9mm JHP will easily penetrate 8 layers and 9mm ball will penetrate >>12 layers<< of 5/8 inch wallboard.

Last edited by mdauben; 09-21-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
You have a firewall between apartments. Shoot 4 layers of 5/8 drywall with any 9mm HP round. Have a pile of dirt behind the drywall so you can find the bullets. You will see there isn't much left of the bullet laying on the dirt. Very few bullets will even dig into the dirt.
Even so, which is not always the case (even seen the "student slums" near most large campuses?), "it would be bad" for the round to penetrate your wife's / child's / roommate's interior wall with remaining lethal energy... or the glass of a window facing your neighbor's loved ones' space ... or windows facing the street and hitting a passing car or pedestrian.

This is where a frangible slug is the better choice, IMO.

And while marksmanship is likely to be the best policy for not over-penetrating, the Bad Guy or critter may not act in a predictable way, might get the drop on you, might cause an AD during a struggle and launch a lethal projectile in an undesirable direction.

No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.

Last edited by scottmac; 09-21-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #67

I really like Hornady TAP CQ. Its different than regular tap and desinged for use by leo's in an urban setting.