Best 9mm ammo for an Apartment? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best 9mm ammo for an Apartment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Win PDX bonded 124gr +p is what im sticking with for in the apt

Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #42

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Actually, blood loss is most effective if there is no exit wound. The bleeding is all internal, and the chest cavity fills quickly, preventing breathing.

One of the most effective rounds for the 9MM ever developed is trhe Federal 9BPLE.

It's a 115 gr. JHP, +P+. Excellent expansion, low, but adequate penetration. Unfortunately, most dealers will only sell it to LE. But if you look around, especially at gun shows, it can be found.
I shoot 124 gr Nato FMJ winchester rangers, a round developed for law enforcement. The FBI conducted a study after the events of the North Hollywood Bank robbery. Before the robbery turned into a shoot out a lone plain clothes officer shot one of robbers in the shoulder with a 380 HP were he had no body armor. One of the conclusions of the study was if the detective had his 380 loaded with FMJ ammo the ensuing shoot out would have only been with one bank robber. That speaks volumes for the benefits of adequate penetration.

I am sure you are going to ask how does that apply to me in my apt? Most attackers assume a blade stance. Which means you will not get a shot into the BG's chest. The bullet may very well have to penetrate the BG's arm and still have enough energy to penetrate into his body cavity. Even if he is facing you we tend to shoot where we are looking. You will be focused on his weapon and it's reasonable to think you might shoot him in the hand or wrist. Once again your bullet needs to be able to penetrate a large bone and still have enough energy to penetrate into the BG's vitals.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #43

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

The BEST ammo for inside an apartment is a machete.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 158 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 160

12 gauge with 00buck. Thats 9 .32cal bullets in a 2 3/4"!

Old 09-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCat View Post
The BEST ammo for inside an apartment is a machete.
Haven't you ever heard the one about "Never bring a knife to a gun fight?"

Old 09-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac

Haven't you ever heard the one about "Never bring a knife to a gun fight?"
I did hear the 21 ft rule, and that action is faster than reaction. Besides, you assume your assailant is armed with a gun. Speaking solely for my area, this is rarely the case.

Besides, 16 inches of steel won't penetrate into the next apt, but literally every type of pistol or shotgun round will...

Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #47

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts

So its sword vs sword then huh! Might as well throw all these crappy guns I bought out then. Home depot here I come!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #48

Well my mistake. I thought we were discussing the best option specifically for an apartment. Where I live apartments are small and have thin walls. So over penetration is an issue.

We're we discussing defensive options for say, a suburban house, or a rural farm, I'd have presented a different option.

A gun is a tool. But it's not a tool for every job.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #49

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
Does it come in .45?
Yes, I've had some for years and Midway still shows them in stock.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #50

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCat View Post
Well my mistake. I thought we were discussing the best option specifically for an apartment. Where I live apartments are small and have thin walls. So over penetration is an issue.

We're we discussing defensive options for say, a suburban house, or a rural farm, I'd have presented a different option.

A gun is a tool. But it's not a tool for every job.
I write this with all due respect. You have a great deal of concern for your neighbors, that is a rare quality now days. If a home invasion occurred or someone was threatening a member of my families life I really wouldn't care about what might happen. I am going to do anything that is required to ensure my blood is safe. The chance that you will ever be in this situation is slim. Should it ever happen and you are concerned about anything other than eliminating the threat you and your loved ones might die. The biggest reason certain people survive bad situations is they don't hesitate. They will pull the trigger without regret or hesitation.