You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Best 9mm ammo for an Apartment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brue182
I have said that for years. The sound of a 12 gauge is a sound that can not be mistaken. Then again hearing a slide slam shut might have the same effect.
It worked for me once. Two guys broke in my house at 3AM -- they heard me chambering a round in my 1911, and the next sounds I heard were "Oh, ----," door slam, feet running.

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 09-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #32

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts

Myths that are seldom true...

Mine will already be loaded, cocked and ready to fire... Only one sound left to hear after that

Old 09-15-2012, 02:43 AM   #33

Liked 151 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade

Mine will already be loaded, cocked and ready to fire... Only one sound left to hear after that
Heard that bro..

Old 09-15-2012, 03:39 AM   #34

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Penetration is not the issue; over-penetrations is. Any bullet that passes through completely is not dumping that energy into the Bad Guy ... is not contributing to the system shock generally sought to make the Bad Guy stop what he's doing. The object is not to kill or critically wound; it's to make them stop.

In other words: Penetration is Good (to a point); perforation (through-and-through) is Bad.

Until I can check out the loads mentioned earlier (Magsafe), I'll stick with Glasers, at least for the top couple on the mag or cylinder positions.
So you are saying the small amount of expansion you will get from a pistol cartridge produces more hydrostatic shock than an exit wound? Respectfully, I have to disagree. The amount of blood loss is rapidly accelerated with an exit wound, not to mention you are damaging more tissue with a round that passes through the BGs body.

Another question I have to ask. What is more dangerous one bullet that passes through the bad guy, putting him down or wounding the BG, ending up in a firefight with maybe 30 rounds bouncing around the apartment building?

Old 09-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #35

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

If your home defense pistol is not loaded with one already in the chamber, something is wrong with your setup. I happen to have my shottie setup so I do need to rack the first round in, but that has more to do with my lack of sufficient practice operating the safety. I don't want one in the chamber.

But a pistol should ALWAYS have one in the chamber!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
So you are saying the small amount of expansion you will get from a pistol cartridge produces more hydrostatic shock than an exit wound? Respectfully, I have to disagree. The amount of blood loss is rapidly accelerated with an exit wound, not to mention you are damaging more tissue with a round that passes through the BGs body.

Another question I have to ask. What is more dangerous one bullet that passes through the bad guy, putting him down or wounding the BG, ending up in a firefight with maybe 30 rounds bouncing around the apartment building?
You will get the same (or more) blood loss, more tissue damage and significantly more system shock in a round that dumps 100% of it's energy in tissue.

Death / disability by bleeding is much slower (depends, of course on where you hit, and with what) than massive system shock. Glasers have been proven (by actual shooting cases) to be lethal with even peripheral hits, because of the extensive tissue damage.

As an example, would you rather have a hole poked through the palm of your hand, or smashed with a sledge hammer?

And, no problem disagreeing; it's the discussion that teaches us all of the various viewpoints.
Old_Crow Likes This 
Old 09-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #37

Quote:
That remark might be read as implying that I am likely to be a liar. You might want to be careful about that sort of thing. It's rather rarely appreciated.
Quote:
We often had small children in the house. I kept the gun's mag loaded, but the chamber empty. Anyone who leaves a loaded and cocked firearm where a child can reach it is an idiot. I am neither an idiot NOR a liar.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #38

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18
That remark might be read as implying that I am likely to be a liar. You might want to be careful about that sort of thing. It's rather rarely appreciated.

We often had small children in the house. I kept the gun's mag loaded, but the chamber empty. Anyone who leaves a loaded and cocked firearm where a child can reach it is an idiot. I am neither an idiot NOR a liar.
Lol..... You be careful... Im good to go bro

You also pretty much just called yourself a liar and an idiot lmao

Old 09-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #39

Quote:

Lol..... You be careful... Im good to go bro

You also pretty much just called yourself a liar and an idiot lmao
I don't see how that follows from anything I've said.

That d

Old 09-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11210 Times on 5942 Posts
Likes Given: 10893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post

Actually, blood loss is most effective if there is no exit wound. The bleeding is all internal, and the chest cavity fills quickly, preventing breathing.

One of the most effective rounds for the 9MM ever developed is trhe Federal 9BPLE.

It's a 115 gr. JHP, +P+. Excellent expansion, low, but adequate penetration. Unfortunately, most dealers will only sell it to LE. But if you look around, especially at gun shows, it can be found.
History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur

If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost